Author Topic: Pro Wrestling Nostalgia Thread  (Read 23928 times)

Offline Minty Fresh

• M. V. P.
Re: Pro Wrestling Nostalgia Thread
« Reply #750: January 08, 2013, 03:53:01 PM »
Cena is a chump that is in business only for himself. Smirking through promos and laughing off opponents isn't a gimmick, it brings down the whole product and makes the company worse.

Anyone on the roster could punk people like Cena does. They choose not to because they realize this is scripted tv and it only hurts the company bottom line when you act a fool and no-sell your opponents. Minty, you're the only person I've ever met that actually enjoys Cena acting a fool and purposely hurting the company.

:shrug:

He's drastically reduced what you refer to as "smirking" through promos to which most people actually don't mind.  Cena didn't smirk at all in the Ziggler/AJ New Year's Eve promo.  Dude's constantly pushed despite what fans perceive as a slight to other guys in the locker room.  Cena is a class act who also realizes that this is a show and the days of "believability" are over.  If you want REALISM you're welcome to watch the garbage on TNA.  If you want classic "Attitude Era" WWF style you can watch Ring of Honor.

Cena jobbed to the Undertaker, The Rock, HHH and CM Punk when the company asked him to and did so despite a huge build-up in each case. 

You just keep pushing those tired acts of the likes of Ryback.  Haterz gonna hate.

Offline Minty Fresh

• M. V. P.
« Reply #751: January 08, 2013, 03:54:54 PM »
I was just poking at Cena because he's portrayed as "unstoppable" but it isn't his gimmick. The unstoppable man gimmick never works because it would never make sense. They would fail at putting people over and such. It just wouldn't work.

Cena can work but his writing is terrible. Who in their right mind can face Cena with the way hes written? I mean he breaks out of finishers all the time like he's the underdog in every match. Then he becomes Super Cena and suddenly wins by one AA.

They can't even write a clean loss for Cena. In the past 4 pay per views, he's been in three matches that resulted in him losing; however, each were because of outside help. Big Show (interfering the Lauranitais / Cena match), The Shield (Ryback and Cena and Punk), and AJ (switching sides). And back in September, CM Punk vs Cena match resulted in a draw, where Punk retained the title.

It's just tiresome that 90% of the outcome of Cena matches are obvious. I like the way he works but I can't stand the writing anymore for him.

I was referring to Ryback/Goldberg/Batista/Big E/LatestFlavorOfTheMonthBigDudeWithBadAssAttitude

Offline Lintyfresh85

• Lets go to work
« Reply #752: January 08, 2013, 04:06:03 PM »
He's drastically reduced what you refer to as "smirking" through promos to which most people actually don't mind.  Cena didn't smirk at all in the Ziggler/AJ New Year's Eve promo.  Dude's constantly pushed despite what fans perceive as a slight to other guys in the locker room.  Cena is a class act who also realizes that this is a show and the days of "believability" are over.  If you want REALISM you're welcome to watch the garbage on TNA.  If you want classic "Attitude Era" WWF style you can watch Ring of Honor.

Cena jobbed to the Undertaker, The Rock, HHH and CM Punk when the company asked him to and did so despite a huge build-up in each case. 

You just keep pushing those tired acts of the likes of Ryback.  Haterz gonna hate.

It's a show... with a character that does everything possible to bring you out of it.. wouldn't it stand to reason that you'd do better not belittling your other characters with the facial expressions of one man? You're only as strong as your weakest link... and when he tears down the superstars on the rise with a dismissive promo, he does the company more harm than good.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• Lets go to work
« Reply #753: January 08, 2013, 04:13:33 PM »
And by the way, laughing at your opponent's promo and making silly faces is not appropriate.

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #754: January 08, 2013, 04:18:21 PM »
And by the way, laughing at your opponent's promo and making silly faces is not appropriate.

No way.

And you're right exactly right that Cena brings you out of it. I'm not looking to actually believe in anything. I just want someone to put on a good show. Whenever Cena is involved, I prepare to be disappointed... and I usually am.

Offline Minty Fresh

• M. V. P.
« Reply #755: January 08, 2013, 04:18:31 PM »
It's a show... with a character that does everything possible to bring you out of it.. wouldn't it stand to reason that you'd do better not belittling your other characters with the facial expressions of one man? You're only as strong as your weakest link... and when he tears down the superstars on the rise with a dismissive promo, he does the company more harm than good.

That "dismissive promo" with Ziggler is exactly what Ziggler needs.  I like Dolph Ziggler - A LOT - but he needs a crap-load of work and that promo proved it.  Workers like Ziggler will overcome that sort of thing if they've really got what it takes to be a main-eventer. 

The WWE is a different company now - they don't mask that it's a show any more.  If you want "verisimiltude" you need to watch RoH. 

Offline Minty Fresh

• M. V. P.
« Reply #756: January 08, 2013, 04:20:28 PM »

If your opponents' promo is garbage then yes it's o.k.  Hell, he was laughing during the AJ promos that he was involved in because he realized it was a stupid angle. 

If it's bad for business, Vince will find a way to punish him.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• Lets go to work
« Reply #757: January 08, 2013, 04:22:00 PM »
That "dismissive promo" with Ziggler is exactly what Ziggler needs.  I like Dolph Ziggler - A LOT - but he needs a crap-load of work and that promo proved it.  Workers like Ziggler will overcome that sort of thing if they've really got what it takes to be a main-eventer. 

The WWE is a different company now - they don't mask that it's a show any more.  If you want "verisimiltude" you need to watch RoH. 

You know what the difference in Rock/Punk and Rock/Cena is? One is a wrestling angle with two characters fighting about wrestling things, and making for a hot feud. The other was about two petty individuals that would rather tear each other down personally than sell tickets. One has already proved to be better TV than any moment from the prior feud.

Offline Minty Fresh

• M. V. P.
« Reply #758: January 08, 2013, 04:24:24 PM »
You know what the difference in Rock/Punk and Rock/Cena is? One is a wrestling angle with two characters fighting about wrestling things, and making for a hot feud. The other was about two petty individuals that would rather tear each other down personally than sell tickets. One has already proved to be better TV than any moment from the prior feud.

Until Dwayne shows up next week and ruins it. 

If you're truly upset with Cena putting himself before the company or the "story" then wait until you get a load of what Punk does with Dwayne.  He's not The Rock anymore. 

Offline hammondsnats

• LAC 8)
« Reply #759: January 08, 2013, 04:25:00 PM »
and yet Dwayne is still a bigger hit with a majority of the fans than John Cena.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• Lets go to work
« Reply #760: January 08, 2013, 04:25:56 PM »
Until Dwayne shows up next week and ruins it. 

If you're truly upset with Cena putting himself before the company or the "story" then wait until you get a load of what Punk does with Dwayne.  He's not The Rock anymore. 

Rock was on last night. It went great. Both guys did their job.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• Lets go to work
« Reply #761: January 08, 2013, 05:43:12 PM »
This blurb from prowrestling.net spell out my feelings to a T.

The Rock and C.M. Punk: An excellent exchange. The Rock delivered his fan friendly schtick and had a few laugh out loud moments, while Punk took it all with a straight face and returned fire with the key line of the night. "I'm going to kick your ass." That's what this was all about. Peel away the comedic lines, Rock playing to the crowd, Punk insulting the crowd, and it came down to The Rock telling Punk his time is up and he's taking the WWE Championship, and Punk standing his ground and saying that he's going to kick Rock's ass. That's good business. It's so much better than the gamesmanship that was used during Rock and John Cena's exchanges last year. It should not be about who can deliver the best insults or who can get the boys backstage to say "you really got him with that one." It should be about selling the wrestling match. We all got caught up in which guy got the better of the exchanges last year, but I'm very happy to see Rock and Punk take the more productive approach.

http://www.prowrestling.net/artman/publish/powelleditorials/article10029147.shtml

Offline hammondsnats

• LAC 8)
« Reply #762: January 08, 2013, 06:13:39 PM »
boom.

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #763: January 08, 2013, 08:36:39 PM »
Finishing Raw right now (only watched the Ziggler/Cena match).

Team Hell No vs Rhodes Scholars is how a match is supposed to go. That was very good.

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #764: January 08, 2013, 08:55:12 PM »
Oh crap Cesaro did the Neutralizer again to Khali! I love how the crowd actually clapped and were impressed with his top rope uppercut and then the neutralizer. He's going to get over soon.

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #765: January 08, 2013, 09:28:31 PM »
Ryback's gimmick isn't going to last long but he certainly has gotten better. That TLC match was great! So awesome when Ryback put Punk through that table that was set up ringside.

Offline hammondsnats

• LAC 8)
« Reply #766: January 08, 2013, 09:30:47 PM »
stone cold is reportedly coming back next monday.

Offline imref

• Like my arm slot?
« Reply #767: January 08, 2013, 09:39:11 PM »
stone cold is reportedly coming back next monday.

he's talked repeatedly of coming back for a match with Punk (which of course would be at WM), but who knows what kind of shape he's in at this point.

Offline hammondsnats

• LAC 8)
« Reply #768: January 08, 2013, 09:41:29 PM »
those two would be great.  i've always wanted stone cold vs. goldberg or to re-live the glory days of attitude era stone cold vs. rock ... but as long as he comes back and can resemble something of the old bad ass, i'm down.

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #769: January 08, 2013, 10:03:14 PM »
Oh man that was some of the best 30 minutes on Raw. Punk laying down the truth again and then that awesome back and forth between Rocky and Punk. I'm hyped.

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #770: January 09, 2013, 09:56:39 AM »
Smackdown Spoiler:

Alberto Del Rio wins the WHC from Big Show in a Last Man Standing match. My guess: ADR is champion for 19 days until Royal Rumble where he will most likely lose the belt to Ziggler when he cashes in the MITB after his Cena match.

Offline imref

• Like my arm slot?
« Reply #771: January 09, 2013, 05:37:53 PM »
WWE adds another ROH'r, El Generico has signed.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• Lets go to work
« Reply #772: January 09, 2013, 07:07:29 PM »
WWE adds another ROH'r, El Generico has signed.

WTF. I mean I know he's great in the ring... but there's not a chance in hell that gimmick would get over on the big stage.

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #773: January 09, 2013, 09:29:01 PM »
WTF. I mean I know he's great in the ring... but there's not a chance in hell that gimmick would get over on the big stage.

lololol

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #774: January 10, 2013, 09:29:04 AM »
GET THE TABLES!!!