Author Topic: Pro Wrestling Nostalgia Thread  (Read 27131 times)

Offline imref

• Like my arm slot?
Re: Pro Wrestling Nostalgia Thread
« Reply #725: January 07, 2013, 10:58:27 PM »
Climbing a ladder in the dark is no joke. What can't The Shield do?

how much better would it have been if Mae Young gave birth to them on the NYE episode?

Offline Lintyfresh85

• Next year, maybe?
« Reply #726: January 07, 2013, 11:13:26 PM »
"Just understand that at the Royal Rumble, your arms are just too short to box with God."

Hot. Damn.

Offline hammondsnats

• LAC 8)
« Reply #727: January 07, 2013, 11:20:51 PM »
nice work out of rock.  now hurry up and clear stone cold so we can see him back.

i remember during the attitude days, from start to finish with the exception of maybe a women's match or one boring undercard bout, RAW was just full of spectacular superstars. 

Offline imref

• Like my arm slot?
« Reply #728: January 08, 2013, 12:27:14 AM »
Awesome Goldberg chant during the punk-ryback match

Offline hammondsnats

• LAC 8)
« Reply #729: January 08, 2013, 09:29:07 AM »
they always chant that.

and i could've sworn i heard a few ryblack's when big E was talking.

Offline imref

• Like my arm slot?
« Reply #730: January 08, 2013, 09:54:23 AM »
they always chant that.

and i could've sworn i heard a few ryblack's when big E was talking.

at the D.C. taping Ryback was way over, I didn't hear any Goldberg chants.  Last night it seemed that it was all Goldberg.  And it looks like they've buried Ryback for now, he's on the path to becoming the next Miz.   That was a hell of a match though.

Offline hammondsnats

• LAC 8)
« Reply #731: January 08, 2013, 10:02:14 AM »
at the D.C. taping Ryback was way over, I didn't hear any Goldberg chants.  Last night it seemed that it was all Goldberg.  And it looks like they've buried Ryback for now, he's on the path to becoming the next Miz.   That was a hell of a match though.

trust me they've been doing the goldberg chants for months. 

i wouldn't say they buried him.  they had him go up against four guys last night.  it's just the rock is on his way back for a bit.  ryback is not done.

Offline imref

• Like my arm slot?
« Reply #732: January 08, 2013, 11:53:59 AM »
trust me they've been doing the goldberg chants for months. 

i wouldn't say they buried him.  they had him go up against four guys last night.  it's just the rock is on his way back for a bit.  ryback is not done.

we'll see, they've established a pattern of elevating guys only to bury them under Cena/Orton (Barrett, Zigler, Miz, Del Rio, etc.).

Offline hammondsnats

• LAC 8)
« Reply #733: January 08, 2013, 12:01:45 PM »
we'll see, they've established a pattern of elevating guys only to bury them under Cena/Orton (Barrett, Zigler, Miz, Del Rio, etc.).

well ziggler is in a feud with cena right now.

ryback just headlined RAW last night ... just b/c the rock is coming back, doesn't mean ryback is taking a back seat. 

as i said ... back in the day, they made it work when stone cold/rock/HHH/taker/mankind/kane/etc was there ... they all had pretty good times in the spotlight. 

Offline imref

• Like my arm slot?
« Reply #734: January 08, 2013, 12:26:17 PM »
well ziggler is in a feud with cena right now.

ryback just headlined RAW last night ... just b/c the rock is coming back, doesn't mean ryback is taking a back seat. 

as i said ... back in the day, they made it work when stone cold/rock/HHH/taker/mankind/kane/etc was there ... they all had pretty good times in the spotlight. 

Ziggler is constantly made to look like a fool, as he was again last night.  They never built him up as a serious contender to Cena (who now likely wins the rumble and faces Rock at WM for the title, where he wins it back).

Ryback was pretty impressive last night, but he's been getting laid out for the last month or so.  Remember how they killed Goldberg's heat by having the NWO constantly beat him up?  I assume he'll team up with someone against The Shield.  It might be interesting if he brought back some of the old Nexus guys like Michael Tarver, or Harris/McGuilicutty, or Mason Ryan, for wing support.

Offline hammondsnats

• LAC 8)
« Reply #735: January 08, 2013, 12:47:29 PM »
how are they killing ryback?  he's going up against 4 dudes and almost winning the title.  he's def a legit contender and will continue to get shots. 

and if you read/listen to those in the know, they all say ziggler is in the middle of a huge push.  i mean that's why they ditched the swagger/ziggler tag team.  they wanted ziggy to be in the spotlight as a main heel.  which he is. 

and as much as i love team hell no, i want to see more of bryan competing in main events.  he's the #1 dude in the game right now.

Offline hammondsnats

• LAC 8)
« Reply #736: January 08, 2013, 12:49:09 PM »
and no, he changed his name to ryback, he doesn't have any connection to his former self in NXT. 

Offline Minty Fresh

• Mantra of the SSS
« Reply #737: January 08, 2013, 01:05:55 PM »
Ryback is doing a great job of killing himself.  He's Goldberg 2.0

And I love Ziggler as much as anyone but he is not yet ready as main event material.  His mic skills need serious work - but his in-ring work is great.  Close - just not yet.

Offline imref

• Like my arm slot?
« Reply #738: January 08, 2013, 01:12:22 PM »
The highlight of last night was Cesaro carrying Khali to a decent match.  That uppercut off the ropes was a thing of beauty.  Cesaro vs. Del Rio could be really really interesting.

Offline hammondsnats

• LAC 8)
« Reply #739: January 08, 2013, 01:42:19 PM »
i'm really starting to back cesaro now.  the guy is a freak of nature and is so clean in the ring.  and yes, i love the del rio vs. cesaro idea. 

call me crazy but i think del rio can work as a face. 

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #740: January 08, 2013, 02:33:59 PM »
Ryback is not done. He's improved vastly since his Skip Sheffield days. He'll be given a feud easily. They've also chanted Goldberg for about 3 months now.

Ziggler is definitely main event material. His promos with Jericho were fantastic. Sure, Jericho puts everyone over (probably the best at doing it), Ziggler helped himself out a lot. Everyone looks like crap compared to Super Cena.

Cesaro is easily going to be my favorite wrestler to watch in 2013. The guy is just getting started .He was amazing in his indy days and has only improved.

Offline Minty Fresh

• Mantra of the SSS
« Reply #741: January 08, 2013, 02:43:52 PM »
I can't believe that nobody here sees the glaring similarities between Goldberg and Ryback.  Ryback will be done in a year if he doesn't give up the current gimmick.  A big dude with limited ability better come up with something better than food metaphors.

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #742: January 08, 2013, 02:51:55 PM »
The highlight of last night was Cesaro carrying Khali to a decent match.  That uppercut off the ropes was a thing of beauty.  Cesaro vs. Del Rio could be really really interesting.

From Main Event last week:

Cesaro neutralizing Khali. The gif is pretty awesome but I cannot find it at the moment.

Offline hammondsnats

• LAC 8)
« Reply #743: January 08, 2013, 03:07:46 PM »
I can't believe that nobody here sees the glaring similarities between Goldberg and Ryback.  Ryback will be done in a year if he doesn't give up the current gimmick.  A big dude with limited ability better come up with something better than food metaphors.

we see it.  but we also see he's gotten over with the fans. 

too early to write him off.

Offline Minty Fresh

• Mantra of the SSS
« Reply #744: January 08, 2013, 03:08:54 PM »
we see it.  but we also see he's gotten over with the fans. 

too early to write him off.

Goldberg got over with the fans. 

Fact is, the schtick is great but wears off quickly.

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #745: January 08, 2013, 03:14:35 PM »
Goldberg got over with the fans. 

Fact is, the schtick is great but wears off quickly.

Well thats because the unstoppable man gimmick doesn't last unless you sell merchandise and are way over with the lil jimmies, ala Cena.

I hate the wwe writers.

Offline Minty Fresh

• Mantra of the SSS
« Reply #746: January 08, 2013, 03:18:13 PM »
Well thats because the unstoppable man gimmick doesn't last unless you sell merchandise and are way over with the lil jimmies, ala Cena.

I hate the wwe writers.

Patently false.  The gimmick doesn't work or else Big Show would be the champion for the last ten years.  The unstoppable man gimmick only works for a short period of time before it gets boring.

Hate on Cena all you want, but Ryback is boring and the fact that he punked Ziggler worse than CM Punk ever could indicates that Cena is still the man - not just because he works so hard at the sterling image but that he can bring it as well as anyone.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• Next year, maybe?
« Reply #747: January 08, 2013, 03:22:30 PM »
Cena is a chump that is in business only for himself. Smirking through promos and laughing off opponents isn't a gimmick, it brings down the whole product and makes the company worse.

Anyone on the roster could punk people like Cena does. They choose not to because they realize this is scripted tv and it only hurts the company bottom line when you act a fool and no-sell your opponents. Minty, you're the only person I've ever met that actually enjoys Cena acting a fool and purposely hurting the company.

:shrug:

Offline hammondsnats

• LAC 8)
« Reply #748: January 08, 2013, 03:29:58 PM »
minty being minty ... he also likes boring us with his stories of his playing days 8)

but Cena is a class act and as we have talked about before on here, the company doesn't want to make him heel b/c of his work inside the community/charity.

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #749: January 08, 2013, 03:40:36 PM »
Patently false.  The gimmick doesn't work or else Big Show would be the champion for the last ten years.  The unstoppable man gimmick only works for a short period of time before it gets boring.

Hate on Cena all you want, but Ryback is boring and the fact that he punked Ziggler worse than CM Punk ever could indicates that Cena is still the man - not just because he works so hard at the sterling image but that he can bring it as well as anyone.

I was just poking at Cena because he's portrayed as "unstoppable" but it isn't his gimmick. The unstoppable man gimmick never works because it would never make sense. They would fail at putting people over and such. It just wouldn't work.

Cena can work but his writing is terrible. Who in their right mind can face Cena with the way hes written? I mean he breaks out of finishers all the time like he's the underdog in every match. Then he becomes Super Cena and suddenly wins by one AA.

They can't even write a clean loss for Cena. In the past 4 pay per views, he's been in three matches that resulted in him losing; however, each were because of outside help. Big Show (interfering the Lauranitais / Cena match), The Shield (Ryback and Cena and Punk), and AJ (switching sides). And back in September, CM Punk vs Cena match resulted in a draw, where Punk retained the title.

It's just tiresome that 90% of the outcome of Cena matches are obvious. I like the way he works but I can't stand the writing anymore for him.