Author Topic: Pro Wrestling Nostalgia Thread  (Read 32086 times)

Offline hammondsnats

• LAC 8)
Re: Pro Wrestling Nostalgia Thread
« Reply #600: September 11, 2012, 11:41:45 AM »
yeah it's definitely real.

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #601: September 22, 2012, 04:29:48 AM »
If you've got time, and you like the Daniel Bryan/Kane angle, watch this past week's Smackdown on youtube. It was amazing... like honestly. The Daniel Bryan/Kane parts alone were fantastic. If you watch that, it'll accumulate to about 30-40 mins of the show but it's all worth it.

If not, here's what pretty much happened:

Opening:
-The show opened with EDGE coming out to talk to Philly. He was saying, now that he's out of wrestling he can watch it like a normal fan. He then mentioned how, out of all the years he wrestled, he's never seen anything like Kane and Daniel Bryan. (The clip showed them competing in the "I'm the Tag Team Champions" shouting match). He went on to talk about it for a few more seconds until Daniel Bryan's music kicked in.

-Edge started to mock Daniel Bryan (Goat Face/Yes chants) because of how much of a loose cannon he is. D Bry pulled the heel angle and told him to go back to retirement and that he should be angry too because of his ex-wife and stuff. After more mocking, Kane's fire interrupted.

-Kane came out. Edge reminding Kane of all the things he did in the past (Their numerous fights, Edge stealing his girlfriend, Kane interrupting Edge's marriage, Paul Bearer getting hit in the face with a pizza). Kane was really furious at Edge for bringing up all of these things. Edge thought Kane was ready to fight until Kane opened his arms for a hug. Edge hugged Kane. During that, D Bry went around screaming no. But then Edge offered D Bry to join. Bry had the happiest face, like a parent giving him a gift. He was going in for a hug before...

-Sandow interrupted. Sandow pulled his usual spiel, which was pretty damn good. Edge interrupted him and told him to shut up. He then asked the crowd if he should fight one of Bry or Kane.... commercial break.

Sandow/Kane:
-A pretty short match. It happened immediately after the opener. Bry was sitting ringside during the match. Some good back and forth blows. Kane was about to hit Sandow with a chokeslam but Bryan went up the ring with both belts and shouted "I'm the Tag Team Champions!" After a shouting match, Sandow caught Kane and hit him with his finisher for the 1-2-3. Awesome way for Kane to put Sandow over.

Post Sandow/Kane:
-Kane searched furiously for Bryan because of his interruption. He spotted Dr. Shelby. Kane threatened Daniel Bryan, via talking to Dr. Shelby, to give him his belt back. After the threat, Bry popped out of a box with both belts and laughed sarcastically at his threat. They got into another shouting (sibling-esque) match about Bryan distracting Kane "No I didn't!" "Yes you did!". Dr. Shelby told Kane that he'll get Bryan a match. Kane got his belt from Bryan and mocked him "I'm the Tag Team Champion!" and giggled off with Bryan holding back any retort.

Bryan/Cody Rhodes:
-Another good back and forth. Cody has some pretty athletic moves but Bryan is probably the best technical wrestler in the WWE at the moment, or at least top 3 (not counting Jericho). After some amazing kicks, he was about to put Cody into the "No Lock" when Kane's pyro(s) went off. Cody did his finisher for the 1-2-3.

Post Bryan/Rhodes:
-Bryan was searching for Kane this time. They argued about the distractions and started calling eachother names. Kane called Bryan a Goat. Daniel called Kane a big giant freak and that he should be in a basement locked up. Kane said Bryan should be in a petting zoo. Bryan said Kane should be in a basement petting zoo (:lol:). Cody and Sandow were laughing from a distance. Kane and Bryan went up to them. Cody and Sandow told them they wont last long with the belts because they don't have any unity. Kane and Bryan challenged them to a tag match later on in the show. Cody/Sandow walked away without answering. Bryan said "I think they're afraid of me" then Kane said the same thing.

Team Friendship vs Sandy Rhodes:
-This was a special match. It was a lumberjack match. Prime Time Players, Usos, Primo/Epico, and another team (probably a jobber team) was out there at ringside.  Kane started vs Cody. He was doing very well. He did his usual uppercut, turnbuckle plunge, sidewalk slam. Cody got a tag against Sandow. Sandow was getting whooped immediately. Kane backed up ready for a chokeslam when Bryan tagged himself in. Bryan was whooping on Sandow. He faked tagged Kane in and was beginning to get beat up. Cody got tagged in and started beating on Bryan with kicks. After Bryan got a move in, they both gained momentum and ran off the ropes. Both did a cross body check against eachother knocking them down. After a momentum tag, Kane and Sandow were tagged in.

-Kane began beating on Sandow. He was able to pull a chokeslam off. As he was about to either pin him or do another move, Cody came in with a steel chair and hit Kane. With the DQ, Bryan stopped Cody from hitting Kane with the chair. Kane grabbed the chair and hit Cody. Kane gave the chair to Bryan. Bryan was about to hit Sandow with the chair, but after looking at Kane a few times, he gave him the chair. Kane started wailing on Sandow. Bryan got his own chair. They began to exchange hits at Sandow, back and forth. With the other teams leaving ringside, Kane went out and grabbed them one by one. As they were thrown into the ring, Bryan hit them with the chairs. Kane and Bryan started hitting every single tag team with a chair. After about 30 seconds - a minute of chair shots, Bryan got both the belts. He slowly handed one of the belts over to Kane with a smile on his face. They stood side by side with a belt in one hand and a chair in the other and raised their arms. Cole ended the night saying it was a "breakthrough in therapy".

It's a lot of writing but I'm sorta drunk and felt like typing/reliving it. Smackdown was pretty freaking awesome. It was hilarious and it had a great Attitude era feeling to it, especially the ending. So far, I really enjoy what the writers are doing with the talent since NoC. They've begun to give people feuds. They are also making the belts relevant again, especially the Tag Belts, which have been one of my favorites in the past. I don't think the belts will ever get to the "Stone Cold/Triple H vs Benoit/Jericho" level again but so far, I like the direction they are heading and only Bryan and Kane could create that spark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66KEEojmc9c
Full Show

Other Matches:

Sheamus/Orton vs Alberto Del Rio/Ziggler
Brodus Clay vs Heath Slater and others (I think, I skipped)
Antonio Cesaro dude vs Santino I think

Online Minty Fresh

• Let's Do This
« Reply #602: September 22, 2012, 09:37:35 PM »
I have to watch this.  My brother was texting me while I was at the Nats game and said I was missing the best Smackdown! in the history of the show.

Offline imref

• Who is it? Landshark Maam
« Reply #603: September 24, 2012, 06:58:59 PM »
we've come a long way from the time when tag teams didn't matter.

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
« Reply #604: September 24, 2012, 08:49:53 PM »
this kane/daniel bryan stuff is the best dysfunctional tag team angle since the beginning of rock/mankind

Offline Lintyfresh85

• Next year, maybe?
« Reply #605: September 24, 2012, 08:56:13 PM »
They need a "This is your life" for Kane.

Offline imref

« Reply #606: September 24, 2012, 09:14:44 PM »
They need a "This is your life" for Kane.

did you see the first anger management session?

Offline Lintyfresh85

• Next year, maybe?
« Reply #607: September 24, 2012, 09:49:26 PM »
did you see the first anger management session?

Yeah... I mean... something like what Kane did... but show it in video clip form!

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #608: September 24, 2012, 10:09:05 PM »
this kane/daniel bryan stuff is the best dysfunctional tag team angle since the beginning of rock/mankind

yea I can agree with that. They are brilliant together.

Offline hammondsnats

• LAC 8)
« Reply #609: September 25, 2012, 11:47:28 AM »
i can't get enough of kane/bryan ... the my name is gerald stuff last night had me dying.

Offline hammondsnats

• LAC 8)
« Reply #610: September 25, 2012, 11:52:14 AM »
also the kofi-ziggler match was great last night

Offline imref

« Reply #611: September 25, 2012, 12:39:15 PM »
i can't get enough of kane/bryan ... the my name is gerald stuff last night had me dying.

i watched smackdown on my DVR last night, great great stuff.

Offline imref

« Reply #612: September 25, 2012, 11:14:16 PM »
I'm the tag team champions

that's not even grammatically correct

Greatness.

Offline imref

« Reply #613: October 13, 2012, 07:22:15 PM »
F4W:
There was an incident at a wrestling convention in the Northeast today.  Not sure what led to it, but Harley Race, 69, punched Vader in the face.  The reports were that Vader was being belligerent.  Vader went to hit Race, who needs a motorized cart to get around.  One of the sponsors got in between them and Vader accidentally hit him and hurt him.  Race and Vader ended up in the hallway discussing whatever their problem was.

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #614: October 13, 2012, 07:26:50 PM »
hahahah damn

Offline imref

« Reply #615: October 19, 2012, 01:24:12 PM »
There are reports that Mike Graham, former Florida/AWA wrestler and son of the legendary Eddie Graham, committed suicide.  He's probably best known for getting into a scuffle with Sid Vicious/Justice that resulted in Vicious going after him with a squeegee.

Offline imref

« Reply #616: October 20, 2012, 12:27:07 PM »
shawn divari chokes out a drunk unruly passenger on a train and tosses him off at the next stop:

http://www.cnn.com/video/?hpt=hp_t3#/video/us/2012/10/19/mn-dnt-pro-westler-takes-down-train-passenger.wcco

Offline imref

« Reply #617: November 01, 2012, 11:00:32 PM »
Brad Armstrong, maybe the best WCW wrestler to never get a big push, has died.  http://www.wwe.com/inside/brad-armstrong-passes-26065152.  He was 51.

His brother Brian is the Road Dog/BG James of WWE/TNA fame, his dad Bob was a wrestling legend in Alabama and Georgia.  He also has a brother that has been a referee for years.

Offline imref

« Reply #618: November 21, 2012, 09:45:46 PM »
Lex Lugar was on hardcore pawn recently, he pawned a robe of his to raise money for charity.

LEX LUGER APPEARS ON HARDCORE PAWN

He actually seems to be doing pretty well after suffering a stroke a few years back, but man he's fallen a long way from his prime.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• Next year, maybe?
« Reply #619: November 21, 2012, 09:58:29 PM »
I'm always nervous when I see this thread bumped. Wondering if some star of the past has passed away.

Offline hammondsnats

• LAC 8)
« Reply #620: November 22, 2012, 09:31:10 AM »
I'm always nervous when I see this thread bumped. Wondering if some star of the past has passed away.

lol so true but sad at the same time.

Offline imref

« Reply #621: November 22, 2012, 02:53:56 PM »
i bought the kids tickets to WWE at Verizon on 12/29 for Christmas, it's a Raw taping for new year's eve.  I really have little interest in WWE these days and would much rather see a TNA show, but my older son loves CM Punk.  And he told me he wants to chant "Goldberg" when Ryback comes out.

Offline imref

« Reply #622: November 22, 2012, 03:19:18 PM »
a dose of nostalgia:

Ric Flair vs. Terry Funk - end of the "I Quit" match followed by a melee involving The Great Mutah, Sting, and Lex Lugar.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x81yue_flair-vs-funk-i-quit-p5_sport

Offline imref

« Reply #623: November 29, 2012, 06:46:54 PM »
Sorry Linty...

Freebird Buddy "Jack" Hayes has passed away, 65 years old. 

WCCW 1988 Von Erichs vs Freebirds Feud Recap

Offline Lintyfresh85

• Next year, maybe?
« Reply #624: November 30, 2012, 08:11:58 PM »
Sigh.