Author Topic: Pro Wrestling Nostalgia Thread  (Read 37457 times)

Online KnorrForYourMoney

• Nats hitters = Maggie Lizer
Re: Pro Wrestling Nostalgia Thread
« Reply #300: March 08, 2012, 02:26:06 AM »
@Knorr:

It's getting better.  There are some legit superstars in the making:  CM Punk, Randy Orton, Christian, Dolph Ziggler, Alberto Del Rio.  And Jericho can still work with the best of them.  Cena is in a class by himself and I think a legit heel-turn would help him alot.  Christ, even Triple H can still bring it.  They have a great stock of mid-card guys:  The Miz, R-Truth, Jack Swagger, Kofi Kingston, etc.

If you don't think WWE is still stocked with good talent, you aren't watching closely enough.

I'm definitely not watching closely.  It hasn't been watchable to me for a long time.  I hate all the mic crap.

Offline Minty Fresh

• Let's Do This
« Reply #301: March 08, 2012, 07:42:47 AM »
IMHO Arn Anderson was the greatest "seller" of all time.  The facial expressions were awesome.

Hennig was way better than Anderson - so was Flair.

Offline Minty Fresh

• Let's Do This
« Reply #302: March 08, 2012, 07:43:13 AM »
I'm definitely not watching closely.  It hasn't been watchable to me for a long time.  I hate all the mic crap.

There is a lot of non-wrestling going on, that's for sure.

Online KnorrForYourMoney

« Reply #303: March 08, 2012, 03:28:21 PM »
I remember when RAW was like 90% wrestling (and the rest was Diesel smashing the crap out of Undertaker's casket or Bret Hart going psycho and turning heel) - people look back on the heart of the attitude era with fondness, but I actually didn't like it as much at the time because the weekly shows had so much time-wasting.  That seems to have only gotten worse.

I don't doubt that there are probably some really talented wrestlers today (hell, I might watch a WrestleMania if it had Jericho vs. Christian as the main event), but I can't get into the product any more.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #304: March 08, 2012, 03:30:19 PM »
You didn't like the Dudley Boyz smashing people on tables?!?!?!

Offline Minty Fresh

• Let's Do This
« Reply #305: March 08, 2012, 03:32:22 PM »
I remember when RAW was like 90% wrestling (and the rest was Diesel smashing the crap out of Undertaker's casket or Bret Hart going psycho and turning heel) - people look back on the heart of the attitude era with fondness, but I actually didn't like it as much at the time because the weekly shows had so much time-wasting.  That seems to have only gotten worse.

I don't doubt that there are probably some really talented wrestlers today (hell, I might watch a WrestleMania if it had Jericho vs. Christian as the main event), but I can't get into the product any more.

There are a couple of potentially great matches for WM28.  Jericho v. Punk should be a great match.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• Next year, maybe?
« Reply #306: March 08, 2012, 04:00:36 PM »

"D-Von, get the tables!"

Online KnorrForYourMoney

« Reply #307: March 08, 2012, 04:02:56 PM »

The wrestling back then was crazy entertaining - PPV's were some of the best ever.  The weekly shows still lost my interest.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• Next year, maybe?
« Reply #308: March 08, 2012, 04:09:31 PM »
The wrestling back then was crazy entertaining - PPV's were some of the best ever.  The weekly shows still lost my interest.

The wrestling back then was terribly reckless. I can't believe some of that crap made it to air.

Unprotected chair shots. Piledrivers as setup moves, constant blading... what a crazy era that was.

Online imref

• 1B: The New Hot Corner
« Reply #309: March 08, 2012, 10:50:47 PM »

find the video of the Daniel Bryan vs. CM Punk match from a month ago or so, absolutely outstanding.

I really like the Miz as well as a worker, but apparently he pissed someone off backstage recently.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• Next year, maybe?
« Reply #310: March 08, 2012, 11:00:18 PM »
Missing Truth on the dive to the outside got him in a bit of hot water.

Online KnorrForYourMoney

« Reply #311: March 09, 2012, 05:34:00 PM »
The wrestling back then was terribly reckless. I can't believe some of that crap made it to air.

Unprotected chair shots. Piledrivers as setup moves, constant blading... what a crazy era that was.

I will say this: as entertaining as it was, it was probably a mistake.  They opened pandora's box.

It also made wrestling more unrealistic.  I mean, we're not all saps here, but there's something special about those great matches from the 80's like Steamboat/Savage and Flair/anyone from the NWA.  Something like a simple elbow to the jaw - a move that would actually inflict pain in real life - seemed to have a noticeable effect back then.

Offline hammondsnats

• LAC 8)
« Reply #312: March 09, 2012, 05:42:35 PM »
hahahaha i was just saying that the other night ... the miz is getting the opposite of a push right now.

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #313: March 29, 2012, 02:44:50 PM »
Did Goldberg and Stone Cold ever square off? I know they had a beer bash and such but I can't recall if they did or didn't. If they didn't then WWF sure missed a great opportunity.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• Next year, maybe?
« Reply #314: March 29, 2012, 03:30:04 PM »
Did Goldberg and Stone Cold ever square off? I know they had a beer bash and such but I can't recall if they did or didn't. If they didn't then WWF sure missed a great opportunity.

No, they did not.

Though, Austin did stunner Lesnar and Goldberg in their WM match when both were leaving the company.

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #315: March 29, 2012, 04:48:14 PM »
Triple H vs. The Rock Backlash 2000 Part 2/2

Damn the crowd was intense.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #316: March 29, 2012, 06:59:43 PM »
lol, attitude era was awesome, but that match reminds me of one of the things i *didn't* like about it - to paraphrase "who's line is it anyway", the rules are made up and falls don't matter.

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #317: March 29, 2012, 07:16:47 PM »
lol, attitude era was awesome, but that match reminds me of one of the things i *didn't* like about it - to paraphrase "who's line is it anyway", the rules are made up and falls don't matter.

Yeah. I was watching an amazing tag team match on RAW with Triple H and Stone Cold vs Chris Benoit and Chris Jericho... It was FANTASTIC but clearly throughout it so many rules were broken and it didn't seem to have an effect on anyone being punished.

Offline Minty Fresh

• Let's Do This
« Reply #318: March 29, 2012, 07:26:00 PM »
Yeah. I was watching an amazing tag team match on RAW with Triple H and Stone Cold vs Chris Benoit and Chris Jericho... It was FANTASTIC but clearly throughout it so many rules were broken and it didn't seem to have an effect on anyone being punished.

The Attitude Era was the death of the tag-team matches.  The desire to pimp wrestlers' solo careers really busted up great tag-teams.

Online KnorrForYourMoney

« Reply #319: March 29, 2012, 07:35:06 PM »

That was my point a few posts up.  It was fun, but they got pretty Looney Tunes with the whole style of it.

Vince Russo sucks.

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #320: March 29, 2012, 08:05:39 PM »
The Attitude Era was the death of the tag-team matches.  The desire to pimp wrestlers' solo careers really busted up great tag-teams.

Well atleast we got to see some pretty amazing tag teams with Hardy Boyz, Edge and Christian, and The Dudley Boyz. But I do agree.

Offline hammondsnats

• LAC 8)
« Reply #321: March 30, 2012, 11:33:59 AM »
i was pretty disappointed in Monday's RAW ... usually the one before WM is one of the best of the year and it was fairly weak. 

but I'm excited for Sunday.  Let's hope Trips and the Rock win!

Offline hammondsnats

• LAC 8)
« Reply #322: March 30, 2012, 11:40:40 AM »
and say what you will about vince russo/writing staff/mcmahon/etc during the attitude era, they did it right ... they gave us a lot of great fueds and the built up for matches wasn't just chatter (like the rock vs. cena this year) ... they would have some match-ups before the big fights or some physical altercations of some sort.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• Next year, maybe?
« Reply #323: March 30, 2012, 12:42:37 PM »
and say what you will about vince russo/writing staff/mcmahon/etc during the attitude era, they did it right ... they gave us a lot of great fueds and the built up for matches wasn't just chatter (like the rock vs. cena this year) ... they would have some match-ups before the big fights or some physical altercations of some sort.

You don't want them squaring off before the fight. You want fans to pay to see the fight, not seeing a re-hash of what they've seen for free on Raw.

Of course, that's just my opinion on how you book good feuds... money matches belong on PPV, not given away for free on tv.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #324: March 30, 2012, 12:48:21 PM »
I partially disagree.  Attitude era had some great TV matches and I never felt that they diminished the paid matches.  If anything it led to more creativity in the match types.  I quit, hell in a cell, iron man, etc.