Author Topic: Pro Wrestling Nostalgia Thread  (Read 23927 times)

Offline Minty Fresh

• M. V. P.
Re: Pro Wrestling Nostalgia Thread
« Reply #275: March 07, 2012, 12:36:04 PM »
You haven't seen his matches for the last 10 years, right?

As for my point... maybe these two reviews will help articulate it better.

http://www.prowrestling.net/artman/publish/powelleditorials/article10023791.shtml

http://pwtorch.com/artman2/publish/hitsandmisses/article_58850.shtml

Actually, I think his in-ring stuff needs a lot of work, but it's clear to me these "reviewers" don't know anything about character development.  The very fact that the first review could not differentiate between the taped segments as played by The Rock and the live segment as done by Dwayne Johnson just further proves he can't articulate finer points on character vs. reality.  On top of that, the "stepping all over The Rock's lines" is part of it - he's a "prep-school punk" as stated so by Dwayne.  And the whole bit about The Rock having to "change his style?"  He's already done that.  If you can't tell the difference between "The Rock" and Dwayne Johnson then that's a you problem.  There is a very distinct difference and fans want "The Rock" and not Hollywood Dwayne.  Cena's point is more real than the reviewer realizes.

Now the second review is a bit more on point in that both guys' taped segments are better than their live stuff, but they're not actors (even if Dwayne thinks he is); but even he struggles with character development.  Just watch those history lesson segments again and then listed to even the first line Dwayne says when he gets down to the ring.  It's a different guy.  No consistency of character and this is a genre that needs character consistency and which is why heel/face turns take weeks to develop.  Further, he complains about Cena's attitude and behavior during the segment - but that's the point.  He's giving "The Rock" that "thug" Cena is supposed to be and "The Rock" was the one dropping the ball; not Cena.

The taped segments were riveting because that was the character we expected of "The Rock."  The solo Cena bit was great because that's what we expected from Cena.  When Dwayne came to the ring, THAT'S when the segment got freaked up.  That's because we didn't get "The Rock," we got Dwayne.  And that isn't Cena's problem - it's Dwayne's.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• Lets go to work
« Reply #276: March 07, 2012, 12:37:36 PM »
Agree to disagree then.

Offline Minty Fresh

• M. V. P.
« Reply #277: March 07, 2012, 12:39:18 PM »
Agree to disagree then.

You can if you want to, but performance and entertainment is my wheelhouse and I wrote my Master's Thesis on professional wrestling. 

I'll acquiesce to you on journalistic integrity.  :mg:

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #278: March 07, 2012, 12:49:46 PM »
Did you really just throw your Dick-ploma on the table during an argument about pro wrestling? :lmao:

Offline Minty Fresh

• M. V. P.
« Reply #279: March 07, 2012, 01:01:04 PM »
Did you really just throw your Dick-ploma on the table during an argument about pro wrestling? :lmao:

I just want to let my competition know my credentials.  :)  It's not often I get to use it since I've never claimed it to be anything more than perfectly useless. 

But I did write a thesis on it and I have a brother in the business.  And it really was more of a reaction to Linty's sources which IMO don't stack up.  They're fan bloggers and not trained in the field of entertainment.  It's the reason I lend more cridibility to Linty's or NotLD's blog since they have journalistic backgrounds and someone like Nats320 gets far less credibility.  It's also why I don't argue economics, logic or anything else with any veracity other than my mindfacts - I'll admit to not knowing as much. 

I'm not claiming to be an "expert" by any means and I'm not trying to say that my degree makes me smart, but I am saying that I have extensive training in the field and can critique with the best of them.

And disregard it all you want, pro wrestling is an increasingly popular form of entertainment and the audience is getting smarter and smarter with each passing year. 

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #280: March 07, 2012, 01:02:49 PM »
I liked the mindless beer drinking by Stone Cold though.

I saw Cena grab a beer after the discussion between the two on Monday but it seemed so stupid. I want my damn drinking red neck back!

Offline The Chief

« Reply #281: March 07, 2012, 01:03:49 PM »
tl;dr

You know I was just busting your educational balls right? :lol:

For what it's worth, I agree that "The Rock" isn't really The Rock anymore, at least from what little I've seen.  I'm not sure the old Rock would even work anymore if not for the nostalgia factor.  Like you said, times have changed, things have gotten more sophisticated.  That said, I will always pull for him because I will always see him through Attitude era-tinted glasses.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #282: March 07, 2012, 01:06:13 PM »
I liked the mindless beer drinking by Stone Cold though.

I saw Cena grab a beer after the discussion between the two on Monday but it seemed so stupid. I want my damn drinking red neck back!

I always preferred Rock over Stone Cold but I give Austin his props - his gimmick was so one-dimensional but it worked exceedingly well because let's face it, everybody knows somebody just like that.  It's very believable.

Offline Minty Fresh

• M. V. P.
« Reply #283: March 07, 2012, 01:10:37 PM »
You know I was just busting your educational balls right? :lol:

For what it's worth, I agree that "The Rock" isn't really The Rock anymore, at least from what little I've seen.  I'm not sure the old Rock would even work anymore if not for the nostalgia factor.  Like you said, times have changed, things have gotten more sophisticated.

The Rock was back on Monday Night RAW this past week but only in the taped segments.  It was vintage Rock and he had the crowd eating out of his hand - they turned on him during the live segment.  It wasn't even the same guy.

The Rock would work in today's wrestling. 

Offline Minty Fresh

• M. V. P.
« Reply #284: March 07, 2012, 01:11:34 PM »
I always preferred Rock over Stone Cold but I give Austin his props - his gimmick was so one-dimensional but it worked exceedingly well because let's face it, everybody knows somebody just like that.  It's very believable.

+1

The Rock as the Crown Jewel of The Corporation was money.  Rock was always better than Austin.

Offline hammondsnats

• LAC 8)
« Reply #285: March 07, 2012, 01:13:15 PM »
lol @ modern wrestling

I miss these days:

Triple H Debuts with a Pretty Gay Vignette

Triple H had his rightful place as a jobber, Foley and Undertaker weren't a million years old and were kicking the living crap out of each other, Hart and Austin were becoming the new Flair/Steamboat, and Shawn Michaels was wrestling four-star matches in his sleep.

love trips ... one of the best all around players in the game of all-time ... HE IS THE GAME!

Offline Minty Fresh

• M. V. P.
« Reply #286: March 07, 2012, 01:18:42 PM »
@Knorr:

It's getting better.  There are some legit superstars in the making:  CM Punk, Randy Orton, Christian, Dolph Ziggler, Alberto Del Rio.  And Jericho can still work with the best of them.  Cena is in a class by himself and I think a legit heel-turn would help him alot.  Christ, even Triple H can still bring it.  They have a great stock of mid-card guys:  The Miz, R-Truth, Jack Swagger, Kofi Kingston, etc.

If you don't think WWE is still stocked with good talent, you aren't watching closely enough.

Offline hammondsnats

• LAC 8)
« Reply #287: March 07, 2012, 01:39:40 PM »
christian is still one of the best in-ring performers in wrestling.  so underrated.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• Lets go to work
« Reply #288: March 07, 2012, 01:49:37 PM »
christian is still one of the best in-ring performers in wrestling.  so underrated.

In-ring, on the mic, etc. etc.

Totally agree with you brother.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #289: March 07, 2012, 01:55:05 PM »
Christian?  Edge's old tag partner?  The wallflower?  Man, I really have been out of it for a while...

Offline Lintyfresh85

• Lets go to work
« Reply #290: March 07, 2012, 02:01:14 PM »
Christian?  Edge's old tag partner?  The wallflower?  Man, I really have been out of it for a while...

Captain Charisma!!!

Hell yeah man, he's been gold on the mic since last 2004-2005.

Offline Minty Fresh

• M. V. P.
« Reply #291: March 07, 2012, 03:41:26 PM »
In-ring, on the mic, etc. etc.

Totally agree with you brother.

I agree with the both of you.

You are hereby disqualified on all further discussion.  You've been out for far too long.    ;)

Offline hammondsnats

• LAC 8)
« Reply #292: March 07, 2012, 03:45:26 PM »
the brood was great and obviously edge got all the love, but again you can't find a ton of better technical wrestlers than Christian.  Plus apparently he is great to work with (i think tons of wrestlers went to his wedding, IIRC).

Offline Minty Fresh

• M. V. P.
« Reply #293: March 07, 2012, 03:49:46 PM »
the brood was great and obviously edge got all the love, but again you can't find a ton of better technical wrestlers than Christian.  Plus apparently he is great to work with (i think tons of wrestlers went to his wedding, IIRC).

My brother has wrestled with Gangrel a bunch of times.   :lmao:

But yes, Christian is very well respected by others in the locker room.  Where Cena fails at selling in the ring, Christian is the master.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• Lets go to work
« Reply #294: March 07, 2012, 04:01:36 PM »
My brother has wrestled with Gangrel a bunch of times.   :lmao:

But yes, Christian is very well respected by others in the locker room.  Where Cena fails at selling in the ring, Christian is the master.

No one does it like Ziggler though.

Legend.

Offline imref

• Like my arm slot?
« Reply #295: March 07, 2012, 04:54:20 PM »
@Knorr:

It's getting better.  There are some legit superstars in the making:  CM Punk, Randy Orton, Christian, Dolph Ziggler, Alberto Del Rio.  And Jericho can still work with the best of them.  Cena is in a class by himself and I think a legit heel-turn would help him alot.  Christ, even Triple H can still bring it.  They have a great stock of mid-card guys:  The Miz, R-Truth, Jack Swagger, Kofi Kingston, etc.

If you don't think WWE is still stocked with good talent, you aren't watching closely enough.

they have the best wrestler in the world - Daniel Bryan.

Offline imref

• Like my arm slot?
« Reply #296: March 07, 2012, 04:54:38 PM »
http://www.TMZ.com reported tonight that a sex tape involving Hulk Hogan was being shopped to a major pictures studio.

The story said the grainy footage shows Hogan getting undressed with a brunette who is not either his first or second wife lying on the bed.  It was not clear when this was shot.  Steve Hirsch of Vivid Video, who was a huge wrestling fan at least in the 80s if not still, said he was approached with the tape by a third party but he did not indicate whether he was making an offer to buy the tape.

Can't wait to see this on Tosh.

Offline Minty Fresh

• M. V. P.
« Reply #297: March 07, 2012, 06:09:33 PM »

Legend.

Cannot argue with you.  He reminds me so much of Curt Hennig/Mr. Perfect.

Offline Nathan

• Global Moderator
  • Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #298: March 07, 2012, 07:14:43 PM »
All I know is I hate Cena, and I don't watch any wrestling.  The Rock is the man!

Offline imref

• Like my arm slot?
« Reply #299: March 07, 2012, 09:21:59 PM »

Legend.

IMHO Arn Anderson was the greatest "seller" of all time.  The facial expressions were awesome.