Author Topic: Pro Wrestling Nostalgia Thread  (Read 26151 times)

Offline Lintyfresh85

• Next year, maybe?
Re: Pro Wrestling Nostalgia Thread
« Reply #1025: March 13, 2013, 09:37:31 PM »
yeah, but having Punk job to Kane was terrible terrible booking.  They're going with "tune it to watch Taker get his revenge" instead of "tune in to see if Punk can beat UT."  Apparently the writers are convinced nobody will buy Punk as a serious threat to defeat UT.

Buying anyone as a thread to Taker outside of Cena would be an insult to the fan's intelligence. They booked the match correctly.

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #1026: March 13, 2013, 10:42:23 PM »
yeah, but having Punk job to Kane was terrible terrible booking.  They're going with "tune it to watch Taker get his revenge" instead of "tune in to see if Punk can beat UT."  Apparently the writers are convinced nobody will buy Punk as a serious threat to defeat UT.

I wouldn't consider the loss to Kane terrible at all. Punk didn't look weak in the slightest. It was a no-dq match and when he heard Taker's gong, he got blindsided. Seemed reasonable to me. Plus, he took the Urn. Pretty boss.

Offline Minty Fresh

• Mantra of the SSS
« Reply #1027: March 14, 2013, 07:56:55 AM »
Buying anyone as a thread to Taker outside of Cena would be an insult to the fan's intelligence. They booked the match correctly.
I wouldn't consider the loss to Kane terrible at all. Punk didn't look weak in the slightest. It was a no-dq match and when he heard Taker's gong, he got blindsided. Seemed reasonable to me. Plus, he took the Urn. Pretty boss.

+1 . . . or +2 . . .  Whatever is appropriate here . . .

Offline hammondsnats

• LAC 8)
« Reply #1028: March 14, 2013, 11:46:37 AM »
lol punk didn't look weak at all.  in fact he was pretty much distracted and the odds were against him.  it's fine.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• Next year, maybe?
« Reply #1029: March 18, 2013, 08:14:15 PM »
Rufus Pancake Patterson is the best thing WWE has done in years.

Online imref

• Like my arm slot?
« Reply #1030: March 29, 2013, 05:15:08 PM »
Reid Flair, the 25 year-old son of Ric Flair, has died.  Reid has been wrestling in Japan but was back in the U.S. to join his dad at some upcoming conventions per F4W.  He had been arrested a few years ago for drug possession.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #1031: March 30, 2013, 02:26:06 PM »
Reid Flair, the 25 year-old son of Ric Flair, has died.  Reid has been wrestling in Japan but was back in the U.S. to join his dad at some upcoming conventions per F4W.  He had been arrested a few years ago for drug possession.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/03/29/reid-flair-dead-dies-wrestler-ric-flair-son_n_2981153.html

Online imref

• Like my arm slot?
« Reply #1032: April 02, 2013, 12:24:33 AM »
Well that was certainly offensive. 

Online imref

• Like my arm slot?
« Reply #1033: April 02, 2013, 02:11:31 PM »
no discussion of the Punk/Undertaker angle last night?

For those who didn't see it, spoiler is below:

During Undertaker's promo, the stage went dark, UT's druids appeared, and then Paul Bearer walked out (Paul Heyman) holding the urn.  UT charged the stage and started attacking the druids, one of which was Punk, who took the urn, beat down UT with it, then opened it up and dumped Paul Bearer's ashes all over UT, while also wiping them across his chest and on his face as the show ended.  Bearer's real life son tweeted afterwards that the family was upset with the angle as it was presented differently then what they had approved.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• Next year, maybe?
« Reply #1034: April 03, 2013, 01:31:03 AM »
no discussion of the Punk/Undertaker angle last night?

For those who didn't see it, spoiler is below:

During Undertaker's promo, the stage went dark, UT's druids appeared, and then Paul Bearer walked out (Paul Heyman) holding the urn.  UT charged the stage and started attacking the druids, one of which was Punk, who took the urn, beat down UT with it, then opened it up and dumped Paul Bearer's ashes all over UT, while also wiping them across his chest and on his face as the show ended.  Bearer's real life son tweeted afterwards that the family was upset with the angle as it was presented differently then what they had approved.

I was working.

Sounds lame.

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #1035: April 03, 2013, 02:51:27 AM »
Well that was certainly offensive. 

The Punk stuff? Come on. That was perfect.

Offline Minty Fresh

• Mantra of the SSS
« Reply #1036: April 03, 2013, 08:40:10 AM »

Offline Minty Fresh

• Mantra of the SSS
« Reply #1037: April 03, 2013, 08:41:11 AM »
The new Jack Swagger is working.  He clearly used the time off to focus solely on acting lessons.  Once Zeb Coulter has run his course, Swagger can keep up the shtick.

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
« Reply #1038: April 03, 2013, 10:36:35 AM »
The Punk stuff? Come on. That was perfect.

lol only cause it was Punk. Punk can do no wrong.

I wonder how it would have went over if the Internet's Personal Punching Bag had done it.

personally I didn't see it, I was at work. but it does sound pretty lame to me as well. Normally Punk is gold, but this leaves a bad taste.

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
« Reply #1039: April 03, 2013, 10:37:00 AM »
The new Jack Swagger is working.  He clearly used the time off to focus solely on acting lessons.  Once Zeb Coulter has run his course, Swagger can keep up the shtick.

I see a Patriotic face turn for Swagger about 6 months down the road.

Online imref

• Like my arm slot?
« Reply #1040: April 03, 2013, 10:52:14 AM »

with Sgt. Slaughter as a his manager?

Too bad Iron Shiek isn't managing him now.

Offline Minty Fresh

• Mantra of the SSS
« Reply #1041: April 03, 2013, 11:20:18 AM »

I hope not.  That promo he cut on Constitution Ave was fantastic.  It proved he may not need Zeb Coulter for too much longer.

Offline hammondsnats

• LAC 8)
« Reply #1042: April 03, 2013, 01:08:01 PM »
swagger is doing great things.  he's a fantastic wrestler, who obviously has had his struggles with mic work.  when he was with ziggler as a tag team, it was clear that ziggy was the one getting the push. 

it's good to see swagger making the most of this opportunity (aside from the drug incident).  i like JMAD's idea of him being a heel for a long time, only to slowly turn face down the road.  he could be a superstar.

Offline hammondsnats

• LAC 8)
« Reply #1043: April 03, 2013, 01:10:00 PM »
the punk vs. taker stuff is pretty good.  they had no reason to have a feud.  i get it, punk wants to be considered the best in the world and that would mean he if he were, he would have to stop the streak.  but with paul bearer's unfortunate passing, this is a way for punk to make it personal.  even bearer's kid came out and said while at first, the monday night scene was a bit tasteless, he trusts the direction they are going. 

my only problem with it is, they ended RAW with random dudes in robes singing for two minutes.  that was pretty awful. 

Offline hammondsnats

• LAC 8)
« Reply #1044: April 03, 2013, 01:10:23 PM »
i know it won't happen, but a cena heel turn would be great not only for him ... but for the company.  it really would. 

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #1045: April 03, 2013, 05:46:49 PM »
lol only cause it was Punk. Punk can do no wrong.

I wonder how it would have went over if the Internet's Personal Punching Bag had done it.

personally I didn't see it, I was at work. but it does sound pretty lame to me as well. Normally Punk is gold, but this leaves a bad taste.

It would've had the same result if anyone would've done it. I just thought it was a good heel tactic, regardless of how lame it was.

Offline hammondsnats

• LAC 8)
« Reply #1046: April 03, 2013, 05:47:41 PM »
apparently i've heard good things about fandango and his skills.  i know Vince is a HUUUUUUUUUUUGE fan of his.

btw, how awesome is the shield?  love 'em.

Offline Minty Fresh

• Mantra of the SSS
« Reply #1047: April 04, 2013, 08:37:45 AM »
apparently i've heard good things about fandango and his skills.  i know Vince is a HUUUUUUUUUUUGE fan of his.

btw, how awesome is the shield?  love 'em.

Dean Ambrose > Randy Orton, Seamus AND The Big Show.

Offline Dixon Ward

« Reply #1048: April 04, 2013, 08:47:33 AM »
i went to the show monday night and had a pretty good time. if was my first wwe event in probably 13 (?) years. i sat through about 4 hours of wrestling, which is...a lot, let me tell you.

cena's promo was hilarious live. i'm not sure how it came off on tv, but at the arena he was getting heat as if he was a heel. he did get some cheers in the dark match against the shield after raw went off the air.

swagger is terrible. i don't know what anyone sees in him. colter is carrying that angle. i wish they would have deported ricardo.

Online imref

• Like my arm slot?
« Reply #1049: April 04, 2013, 09:11:03 AM »
i went to the show monday night and had a pretty good time. if was my first wwe event in probably 13 (?) years. i sat through about 4 hours of wrestling, which is...a lot, let me tell you.

cena's promo was hilarious live. i'm not sure how it came off on tv, but at the arena he was getting heat as if he was a heel. he did get some cheers in the dark match against the shield after raw went off the air.

swagger is terrible. i don't know what anyone sees in him. colter is carrying that angle. i wish they would have deported ricardo.

what time did it end?  We had tickets but I sold them on SH for a $225 profit, which I then used to by OD tickets for the Nats.  I didn't want to keep the kids out until 1:30 AM (assuming the show ended at 11:30 PM).