Author Topic: Another rare offseason opportunity? What are the Nats prepared to do?  (Read 2309 times)

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
Every time I say that we should get free agents in order to attempt incremental progress, someone acts like I'm advocating just throwing money around.  I don't remember who's done it every time I say that, but last time Minty had some wise ass comment about it.

Moi? 

Actually, I appreciate being remembered for being snide.  My mother would be so proud....

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
Just because I happen to disagree with the same person 3 times in a 48-hour span doesn't mean I'm "picking", but all the same, if you feel persecuted, then I apologize.
Well, your disagreements just seemed rather nit-picky.  But enough of that.  I don't mean to thread-jack with some meaningless back and forth.

Going over the list, an interesting name to me was Mike Fontenot.  He's coming off a bad year, but his bat was fine in 2008.  I can't remember, but I think he was decent in the field.  Maybe someone can fact-check that.  At any rate, he might be worth a look.  Maybe a little Rick Eckstein magic can get his bat going again.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
Well, your disagreements just seemed rather nit-picky.  But enough of that.  I don't mean to thread-jack with some meaningless back and forth.

My responses can be particular sometimes, but the fact that three in two days involved your posts was purely coincidental.  Again, my apologies.

Going over the list, an interesting name to me was Mike Fontenot.  He's coming off a bad year, but his bat was fine in 2008.  I can't remember, but I think he was decent in the field.  Maybe someone can fact-check that.  At any rate, he might be worth a look.  Maybe a little Rick Eckstein magic can get his bat going again.

Has it been definitively established that Eckstein will be back as hitting coach?  I'm not familiar with the terms of his employment with the team going into 2009.

Online DPMOmaha

I can't find anything on his contract status. I guess I figured if Riggs ends up with the job Eckstein would be back.

Offline blue911

Did the Cubs release Fontenot?

• pissy DC sports fan
He's on Dierkes's non-tender candidates list, which was linked by houston-nat.

You're right about Eckstein.  We don't know if he'll be back.  I wasn't even thinking about that.  Since we're supposedly likely to go with Foli or Rigs, hopefully that means a return for Eckstein.

Offline blue911

He's on Dierkes's non-tender candidates list, which was linked by houston-nat.

So Fontenot is still with Cubs? Just Tim Dierkes thinks he may be cut?

• pissy DC sports fan
So Fontenot is still with Cubs? Just Tim Dierkes thinks he may be cut?
Uh, NOBODY has been cut yet.  This is all speculation.  Follow along here.

Offline Vega

• Party’s Over
According to MLBTR, there is this reliever on the Rockies that probably won't be re-signed. Maybe we should sign him. His name is Joe Beimel...