Author Topic: #@$&(#$#@&( Yankees  (Read 4375 times)

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
Re: #@$&(#$#@&( Yankees
« Reply #25: October 23, 2009, 03:54:12 PM »
you said
I would say it operates as a monopoly and, where it not for the anti-trust examption (i.e. government largesse) it would not be free to implement any rule it wants; particullarly those that help to level the playing field (revenue sharing, draft and eligibility rules, etc...)

I would say that with professional leagues elsewhere in the world that MLB is not a monopoly.  We saw it with Strasburg and Boras.  He threatened to take his client to Japan to play professionally there.  Players have that option if they don't like the draft here in the U.S.

So in regards to the draft, the Anti-Trust Exemption doesn't apply. 

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #26: October 23, 2009, 03:58:29 PM »
BTW - This is not saying the Red Sox are not a rich team.  Plainly that is not true.  It is just I don't think the have a natural advantage, other than maybe NESN (to get back to NatsAddict's point).  Their advantage comes from maxing their market, in contrast to several other teams with potentially equivalent markets.

Finally, setting aside the AL East, the dodgers might have the biggest advantage over their division competitors in terms of potential resources.

Again, taking into account that we are talking markets the ranking appears to be:  New York, Los Angeles, Philadelphia, Chicago, Boston as the top five.  I will say I am shocked that Philly is ahead of Oakland/SF but other than that some really smart guy  ;)  said that Boston was in the top five in media markets....

I'd have to think that New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, San Francisco/Oakland and Boston would be the top five media markets in baseball.

That dude is wickid smaht!

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #27: October 23, 2009, 03:59:48 PM »
You can drop Baltimore lower now that they've lost the largest part of their market

I had heard somewhere that Baltimore was something like #24 since 2005.  Probably why Angelos wanted to own the rights to the Nats.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #28: October 23, 2009, 04:50:12 PM »
I had heard somewhere that Baltimore was something like #24 since 2005.  Probably why Angelos wanted to own the rights to the Nats.

That might be actual attendance or TV. Those numbers Silver and Van were kicking around are the potential followings for their markets.  The thing with the Os and the Nats is that they are clearly underperforming the potential for their markets, mostly due to stinky play turning off the fan bases.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29: October 23, 2009, 04:53:57 PM »
That dude is wickid smaht!

I would not argue.  Or ahgue.  Depending on whether I've had enough beer so that my accent comes through.

Offline NatsAddict

« Reply #30: October 23, 2009, 05:16:33 PM »
When MLB had to open its 2001 parts of it books to Congress, Andrew Zimbalist and Doug Pappas went through them and found how MLB operates.

While Zimbalist went the route of writing books, Doug Pappas put his reports online in Baseball Prospectus in an eight-part series of articles.

For discussion here, parts 4, 5 and 6 may be the most interesting interesting.

Part 1 - Gate Receipts
Part 2 - Local Media Revenues
Part 3 - More Revenue
Part 4 - Player Compensation
Part 5 - National and Other Local Expenses
Part 6 - Profits and Revenue Sharing
Part 7 - Interest-ing
Part 8 - MLB vs Forbes

Of course, after being exposed, Selig instituted a gag order with a $1 million fine per violation.  He then had trouble explaining his selective enforcement of the 60/40 rule, which limited how much debt a team can carry, included the debt owed on long-term contracts (and was caught lying on several other topics as well).

Friday Afternoon with Bud -
The Commish Speaks

Offline shoeshineboy

• Walks Kill!! Walks Kill! Walks Kill!!!!
« Reply #31: October 24, 2009, 10:56:33 AM »
And I do agree that the current system rewards failure too easily and something should be done about penalizing those teams that fail to meet a minimum standard.

Yup. I have no problem with the Yankees marketing their team and making the money off of it. They want to be successful every year and are willing to pay for it. And that annual success returns plenty of revenue. The Nats were the second most profitable franchise because it is easy to get plenty of revenue while spending just enough to generate it and still suck.

Sure, the Yankees go out and buy the big FA names, but that doesn't mean teams can't be effective spending less money on players that will field as competitive of a team. Players like Damon and AJ Burnett could be easily countered by other teams for a lot less. The Yankees will always be able to outspend and have the most marquee names. But they only have 25 roster spots. The fault lies with Selig and and other owners who are content to act as de facto farm teams for the likes of the Yankees as opposed to being competitive.

There does have to be more revenue sharing and forcing the teams to spend it. The Yankees and Sox make a ton of money off of the constant national marketing exposure of ESPN. But owners that don't spend the money they get should not be let off the hook.

Offline blue911

« Reply #32: October 25, 2009, 10:54:57 AM »
As far as I can tell, the only thing the NFL salary cap achieved was the downgrading of special teams play. Seat prices went up, Concession prices went up but the over all quality of the product went down.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #33: October 25, 2009, 03:17:19 PM »
As far as I can tell, the only thing the NFL salary cap achieved was the downgrading of special teams play. Seat prices went up, Concession prices went up but the over all quality of the product went down.

:clap:  :clap:  :clap:

QFT

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
« Reply #34: October 26, 2009, 01:12:42 AM »
Oh God, Yankees vs. Phillies.  That's like having Jabba the Hut vs. Darth Vader!   They're both members of the Evil Empire as far as I'm concerned!  Ack!  Maybe I'll turn my attention to Hockey instead!

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #35: October 26, 2009, 08:05:05 AM »

Why not root for 15 hits batsmen and 4 fights on the pitching mound ?  Sort of like hockey.

But I'll root for the Phillies.  They are not the team bought by the highest bidder.

Oh God, Yankees vs. Phillies.  That's like having Jabba the Hut vs. Darth Vader!   They're both members of the Evil Empire as far as I'm concerned!  Ack!  Maybe I'll turn my attention to Hockey instead!

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #36: October 26, 2009, 08:57:07 AM »
Why not root for 15 hits batsmen and 4 fights on the pitching mound ?  Sort of like hockey.

But I'll root for the Phillies.  They are not the team bought by the highest bidder.

I think I'll begrudgingly root for the Philthies because I'm a National League kinda guy.  Plus, Te$$hera looks like a total douche in a Yankee uniform and Rodriguez does steroids.

Offline PatsNats28

« Reply #37: October 26, 2009, 10:55:01 AM »

Dude Darth Vader is awesome. Palpatine is the crap...

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
« Reply #38: October 26, 2009, 11:12:15 AM »
Dude Darth Vader is awesome. Palpatine is the crap...

They are all from the "Dark Side"

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #39: October 26, 2009, 11:30:57 AM »
They are all from the "Dark Side"

I've got to go with Vader over Jabba any day of the week.  Yes, Vader probably killed or caused the death of many more people, but there was that little bit of Anekin in him, and he did flip the Emperor down the well.  Jabba had no redeeming qualities.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #40: October 26, 2009, 11:41:00 AM »

that's a good plan 8)

Offline NatsAddict

« Reply #41: October 26, 2009, 12:17:03 PM »
I'll be rooting for the Yankees for old time's sake.

Offline PatsNats28

« Reply #42: October 26, 2009, 12:32:07 PM »
I've got to go with Vader over Jabba any day of the week.  Yes, Vader probably killed or caused the death of many more people, but there was that little bit of Anekin in him, and he did flip the Emperor down the well.  Jabba had no redeeming qualities.

aka he showed weakness. emperor palpatine > all