Author Topic: Have a seat at the bar.  (Read 80732 times)

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
Re: Have a seat at the bar.
« Reply #75: October 09, 2009, 03:14:59 PM »
The Renaissance Fair starts in MD soon, maybe you could get your mead on there?

They've got a few places that brew mead in the Finger Lakes, probably closer.

Offline blue911

« Reply #76: October 09, 2009, 03:15:31 PM »
I've always wanted to try mead.

I thought "real" mead was fermented honey.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #77: October 09, 2009, 03:15:56 PM »

Yup.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #78: October 09, 2009, 03:36:30 PM »
They've got a few places that brew mead in the Finger Lakes, probably closer.

We were talking about NotLD.  He's even further from the Finger Lakes than Maryland.

« Reply #79: October 09, 2009, 03:40:23 PM »

Fine by me. I just want to try it.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #80: October 09, 2009, 03:42:02 PM »
for now, I'll stick with Rum, Whiskey, and Vodka(but not Grey Goose, grey goose sucks).

I'm a fan of rum and vodka.  captain and coke is my drink of choice, and nothing like starting off a vaca or a weekend with a screwdriver (OJ and vodka). 

can't do whiskey/bourbon, no chance. 

never touch tequila, although i think there is some in the famous "pain in de ass" drink @ seacrets.  if there is, can't taste it and it doesn't matter as i usually pound at least 4 of those every visit.

i like so-co and lime shots btw and i'm proud to admit it.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #81: October 09, 2009, 03:43:36 PM »
I'm a fan of rum and vodka.  captain and coke is my drink of choice, and nothing like starting off a vaca or a weekend with a screwdriver (OJ and vodka). 
screwdriver is one of the few drinks i've ever had. nasty :spaz:

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #82: October 09, 2009, 03:43:48 PM »
I remember I once mixed gin and Red Bull. The night ended with a firework shooting through a tent and blowing up an air mattress and a small fire in a field.

hahahaha yes!  knowing you i can totally see that happening.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #83: October 09, 2009, 03:44:41 PM »

tastes just like orange juice if ya mix it up real nice and good.  also wesley snipes in "the fan" drinks screwdrivers ... "HEY BOBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBY".

also try sprite with vodka, can't taste it all.  which can be good or bad. 

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #84: October 09, 2009, 03:46:01 PM »

It should be illegal - it's the clove cigarette of alcohol -tastes like candy.

haha i haven't had a clove in years!!!

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #85: October 09, 2009, 03:46:45 PM »
A great bedtime drink: The Sombrero.

Cup of your size choice
Fill half with Kahlua
Fill other half with milk
Place in freezer for 15 minutes

Remove and enjoy. freak cookies and milk.

did that in our dorms @ radford all the time.  omg i had great sleeps in moffett.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #86: October 09, 2009, 03:49:31 PM »
We were talking about NotLD.  He's even further from the Finger Lakes than Maryland.

My bad. You can get there pretty easily, no? Some tasty white wines and mead there.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #87: October 09, 2009, 03:49:52 PM »
I only had it once when I spent a summer in a fly-speck-on-the-map type town called Snow Camp, NC (about 25 miles from Chapel Hill).  One of the locals was a guy named "Creek Monster" who had a beat-up old truck.  The only thing of value on the truck was the hand-painted bug protector which read "Creek Monster" on it.  He was as red-necked as they come.

Anyway, Creek Monster had a still on his farm and he invited the entire cast and crew over to his place near the end of the summer and he busted out the 'shine.  It led to the worst Sunday morning of my life and I grew up going to the Catholic church.

CATHOLICS FTMFW!!!  8)

haha creek monster that's awesome.  and rednecks are fine by me ... met as many cool ones as shady ones over the years.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #88: October 09, 2009, 03:50:38 PM »
yeah j-mad i forgot did you already list where you're 'tending?  I'll come out for a drink.

p.s. awesome thread haha.  liquor may help me completely get over my sickness.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #89: October 09, 2009, 04:33:27 PM »
My bad. You can get there pretty easily, no? Some tasty white wines and mead there.

I'm only about two hours but with my recent diagnosis I should avoid mead (and any concentrated sugar).  However, I can indulge in wine every now and again.  I'm planning a trip to the Lakes with the wife.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #90: October 09, 2009, 04:40:37 PM »
I'm only about two hours but with my recent diagnosis I should avoid mead (and any concentrated sugar).  However, I can indulge in wine every now and again.  I'm planning a trip to the Lakes with the wife.

Sorry to hear about the diabetes. Runs in my family.

If I remember the name of the fantastic restaurant we went to out there, I'll PM you. Funny that it's 2 hrs away from you, it's about the same from central PA.

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #91: October 09, 2009, 04:51:28 PM »
Moonshines bad news.

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #92: October 09, 2009, 05:33:10 PM »
I had "palm toddy" in Africa, and I couldn't read my watch for like 3 days. 

A friend of mine who is an evolutionary psychologist who spends half of his time doing fieldwork in eastern Ecuador reports that the Shuar people are very fond of fermented manioc, where the women sit around in a circle chewing manioc root and letting the enzymes in their saliva kick off the fermentation process before spitting it back up into a big wooden bowl for pooling and storage.  Mmmmm, good. 

Human beings love to get their drink on.
Werner Herzog talks about it in the commentary on Fitzcarraldo (or maybe it was My Best Fiend).  He and the crew loved it when they were filming for Fitzcarraldo, but Kinski was absolutely repulsed by it.  Maybe that's how Herzog became so nuts too.  Like when he was shot by someone and he didn't know it, and decided not to try to find the guy and press charges because "it was just a small caliber like a .22"

I've always wanted to try mead.
I've only ever had "Medieval Mead" from Berrywine Plantations.  Pretty tasty, they make it near me in Mt. Airy.  http://www.linganore-wine.com/index.html

Offline HerndonNat

• FSU Football
« Reply #93: October 10, 2009, 02:16:28 PM »
They taste like orange juice  :stupid:  Maybe you had one that had too much vodka in it?  Do you not drink a lot of liquor?  Most people say this is worthless but I personally like a nice Ketel One or Stoli neat.

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
« Reply #94: October 10, 2009, 02:39:51 PM »
They taste like orange juice  :stupid:  Maybe you had one that had too much vodka in it?  Do you not drink a lot of liquor?  Most people say this is worthless but I personally like a nice Ketel One or Stoli neat.

didn't SF like just turn 21 or something? I can't imagine he has a lot of drinking experience.

and yeah, Vodka neat (unless it is flavored) is meh. may as well drink something with flavor if you are going to drink it neat.

oh yeah, for those who were asking..

I work at XII Lounge(pronounced "Twelve" in NE DC. It's a Bar/Nightclub. I'm only there once or twice a week though(generally on Fridays), so I am trying to get into a Bar where I can work a few more days.  I'm also trying to get into doing Banquets and private Parties.

Offline JMW IV

« Reply #95: October 10, 2009, 02:42:44 PM »
speaking of "neat". one thing that confuses me.

when someone orders a liquor "neat" do they generally want it chilled and then strained? or room temperature?

I've made a habit of just pouring it at room temperature when someone asks for "neat", but i don't really know if that's correct.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #96: October 10, 2009, 02:44:38 PM »
i don't like orange juice but it tasted worse than just normal orange juice. could only take a few sips at a time. yuk

i rarely ever drink. no need to

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #97: October 10, 2009, 02:45:34 PM »
speaking of "neat". one thing that confuses me.

when someone orders a liquor "neat" do they generally want it chilled and then strained? or room temperature?

I've made a habit of just pouring it at room temperature when someone asks for "neat", but i don't really know if that's correct.
Straight from the bottle, no ice or water added.  Chilled and strained would be "up"

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #98: October 10, 2009, 02:50:28 PM »

:lmao: I bet you wouldn't even like mimosas.

Offline JMW IV

« Reply #99: October 10, 2009, 02:52:39 PM »
i don't like orange juice but it tasted worse than just normal orange juice. could only take a few sips at a time. yuk

so you don't like Orange Juice.  Try Vodka with a juice that you DO like.  Vodka mixes well with pretty much everything.

most people I've seen drink Vodka with Cranberry juice.  some with Pineapple juice. one of my regular bar customers drinks his with grapefruit juice.

i rarely ever drink. no need to

well of course there no "need" to drink.  just like there is no "need" to post on a message board, but you do that, right?

it's just something you do for enjoyment. whether you enjoy the sensation of being drunk, or you just enjoy the taste of a well-made cocktail.

you don't have to go out and get hammered in order to be someone who "drinks". there's nothing wrong with enjoying a drink or two and then going about your business. plenty of people do it.

personally, I don't drink all the time, and I don't go out and have a lot of drinks at once. but I'll enjoy a cocktail every once in a while. especially now that I'm bartending, i need to know what all the liquors taste like, so I'm starting to drink just a little bit more often.

anyone who "needs" to drink is in serious trouble.