Author Topic: Connecticut Defenders to move to Richmond in 2010.  (Read 3110 times)

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
http://www.theday.com/re.aspx?re=e24c15c8-7591-46ca-88c9-b4be35d1a689

It's official: Defenders are moving south
By Claire Bessette        Published on 9/23/2009

Norwich – The Eastern League made the official announcement this morning in Richmond, Va., that the Connecticut Defenders are moving to that city next spring.

The long-anticipated announcement at The Diamond stadium in Richmond ended months of speculation, false starts and behind-the-scenes negotiations. One deal to sell the team to a Richmond business group fell through, and then it took several months for a plan by the current owners to move the team to Richmond to be consummated and approved by minor league baseball officials.

Defenders owner Lou DiBella thanked the Norwich fans for supporting the team this year under its “lame duck” status, but said advertising sponsorship dropped sharply since the first word of the move surfaced back in February.

As the Defenders plan to vacate the Thomas J. Dodd Memorial Stadium, efforts are under way to move a lower-level Class A minor league baseball team to Norwich. Officials involved in that proposal cannot comment on specifics, but sources say at least two teams from the New York-Penn League – the Vermont Lake Monsters and the Jamestown Jammers – are interested in moving to Norwich.

At the same time as the press conference, Defenders attorney Glenn Carberry hand-delivered a letter to Norwich City Manager Alan Bergren officially notifying the city that the team plans to leave early. The team lease ran through 2012, but allowed an early buy-out at the end of this year, with a $140,000 early departure penalty.

Bergren said this morning that city and team officials need to review final bills and reimbursements to the team for such items as police coverage and utilities before making financial settlements with the team.

if they aren't a Nats Affiliate the moment their agreement ends with San Francisco, then SHAME ON THE LERNERS.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
That, and if the Lake Monsters move to CT, that's a win for the Nats' regionalization efforts.

However, I like the Harrisburg affiliation because it sends Angelos through the roof (he thinks he owns south-central PA).

Offline JMW IV

That, and if the Lake Monsters move to CT, that's a win for the Nats' regionalization efforts.

However, I like the Harrisburg affiliation because it sends Angelos through the roof (he thinks he owns south-central PA).

plus, you are there, right?

sorry dude, I'd be willing to concede Harrisburg to Angelos in exchange for Richmond. or Bowie.

Offline hammondsnats

sorry dude, I'd be willing to concede Harrisburg to Angelos in exchange for Richmond. or Bowie.

I know Harrisburg has all those improvements to the stadium/facilities which is nice, but I would love Richmond or Bowie.

Richmond, Potomac, Hagerstown would be awesome.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
So what level is this team?  AA?

Offline JMW IV

So what level is this team?  AA?

yes.  they play in the Eastern League, same as Harrisburg and Bowie.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
yes.  they play in the Eastern League, same as Harrisburg Hagersburg and Bowie.

Fixed.

Create a DTism for Richmond.  Go.

Offline PANatsFan

Eh, it's not so close, about as close as Hagerstown. Also, I won't be stuck in PA for the rest of my life (hence my abortive attempt at a username change).

Offline PANatsFan

Fixed.

Create a DTism for Richmond.  Go.

Richbridge?

Offline blue911

Having a team in Harrisburg steps on the nuts of both the Phillies and the Orioles. Now if Richmond could get a AAA team that's a different story.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
Chief, we'll have to do a WNFF meet up at one of the games next year.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Plus a huge advantage to having a team in Norwich is Foxwoods and the Mohegan Sun.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
Chief, we'll have to do a WNFF meet up at one of the games next year.

Linty, what inspired this sudden urge to socialize with your fellow wnffers, in a completely off-topic way?  Inspired by Blue's graphic nuts stomping visual?  Well, I've socialized with Blue, and you better bring extra money.

Offline PANatsFan

Linty, what inspired this sudden urge to socialize with your fellow wnffers, in a completely off-topic way?  Inspired by Blue's graphic nuts stomping visual?  Well, I've socialized with Blue, and you better bring extra money.

I think it's because they both live in Richbridge, but if you want to ascribe it to genital torture, I'll let you run with it.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!

Hmm. I'll take that under advisement.

I think it's because they both live in Richbridge , but if you want to ascribe it to genital torture, I'll let you run with it.

Winner, winner.

Offline Galah

• 2016 - the year that everything changed, again.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Hope they get the rights to have Rocket J. Squirrel as a mascot or at least on the logo.

Offline Galah

• 2016 - the year that everything changed, again.
New logo and web site for the Richmond Flying Squirrels

http://www.squirrelsbaseball.com/

Offline PANatsFan

Great looking logo.

Offline PatsNats28

Offline blue911

Great looking logo.

Bull

This would be a great logo

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator