Author Topic: The Bryce Harper Watch  (Read 186726 times)

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
Re: The Bryce Harper Watch
« Reply #325: May 07, 2010, 05:17:20 PM »
Where do you all think Harper is going to play? 

Washington.

Offline Battleship

« Reply #326: May 07, 2010, 06:34:15 PM »
Harper with a BB and a HR so far in game 1.  Two more homers and he'll have doubled the old school record of 12. 

Coming into tonight Harper was leading in the triple crown race for his league.  He leads in BA by 23 points (.417) in homers by 10 (21), and RBIs by 13 (64).

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #327: May 07, 2010, 11:20:36 PM »
Let's go Satan!  Jesus needs a catcher (or any position you want other than 3d).

What is his nickname going to be here?
Satan.  Then we can have him and Strasburg argue on the mound and just wait for the outcome of the world.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
« Reply #328: May 08, 2010, 12:07:32 AM »
Of course.  Until the draft, nobody can be any team's official pick.
I know it's not "official", but how true is it that us taking him isn't a done deal?

I watched Drew Pomeranz tonight from Ole Miss play the Razorbacks and we got after him. He or the coach wussed out and walked(first IBB issued in Pomeranz's career)the best player in college baseball, 3B Zack Cox, and Brett Eibner(SEC leader in HRs) made him pay with a three run bomb. First time this year Drew Pomeranz left a game with a deficit and first time since last year he recorded a loss.

Anthony Ranaudo has fallen apart this year. We better not take him first. Loved him preseason, but LSU and him are in a hell not fully described as being a "slump".

I just can't see who we would take over Bryce Harper. If we take a high schooler over Bryce Harper, I'll freak out. This guy has too much of an upside compared to the other guys. Atleast with a college guy we can claim "sure thing for a contending team".

The best college batter in the nation is Zack Cox who is going to make somebody an amazing 3B or 2B and #3 hitter for a decade, but even as a Razorback fan who thinks Zack Cox is verging on being the undisputed God of college baseball, I don't want us taking him over Harper. Harper just has too much potential. Cox is great, but Harper may be the most devastating force ever to step on a baseball field once he has matured, is about 20, and is the product of a major league offseason program.

Offline RL04

« Reply #329: May 11, 2010, 05:54:52 PM »
Southern Nevada's season ended.

Harper finished with .417 average and 23 home runs.

http://sites.csn.edu/dcabrera/baseball/2010/teamcume.htm

Wow.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #330: May 11, 2010, 06:11:05 PM »

Wow.

Now onto the draft.  Law said yesterday Harper is the easy #1, he'll probably go the Strasburg route: sign at the last minute, play in the AFL but spend all of 2011 in the minors.

Offline Battleship

« Reply #331: May 11, 2010, 07:07:14 PM »
Actually, they still have the conference tourny, the region 18(metal bat), and possibly(likely) the Juco World Series(metal bat).  There's also talk that he may play for the U-18 Team USA team in Canada this summer. 

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #332: May 12, 2010, 09:52:46 AM »
Good luck, Satan.  May you knock a few more to the netheregions of the desert before you possess home plate at Nats Park.  We will find an acceptable sacrifice for you.  Probably Brian Bruney.

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
« Reply #333: May 12, 2010, 10:15:24 AM »

Wow.

isn't CSN like one of the best JuCos in the country or something? or they play against the best? or something like that?

Offline JMW IV

« Reply #334: May 12, 2010, 10:23:59 AM »
.917 SLG.

/endthread

Offline RL04

« Reply #335: May 12, 2010, 01:34:40 PM »
Actually, they still have the conference tourny, ...

OK, Southern Nevada's regular season has ended.

Offline R-Zim#11

« Reply #336: May 13, 2010, 11:29:11 AM »
.917 SLG.

/endthread

...and .508 OBP...

And this is really amazing. He homered 10 fewer times than he struck out.

« Reply #337: May 13, 2010, 11:32:38 AM »
Sort of on topic, has anyone heard if they are broadcasting the Draft this year and if so, where? I assume the MLB Network...

Offline blue911

« Reply #338: May 13, 2010, 11:42:18 AM »
Sort of on topic, has anyone heard if they are broadcasting the Draft this year and if so, where? I assume the MLB Network...

yes and yes.

Offline imref

« Reply #339: May 14, 2010, 10:33:12 PM »
A baseball source told Ladson that the Nationals are also considering pitchers Drew Pomeranz and Jameson Taillon and shortstop Manny Machado. Some have questioned Harper's character, but Rizzo made it clear that he doesn't share those doubts.

"We have no problem with Bryce Harper's character," Rizzo said.

Offline imref

« Reply #340: May 14, 2010, 10:33:49 PM »
Pomeranz is the only other guy out there I could get excited about, imagine adding him to a rotation that includes Strasburg in a couple of years.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #341: May 16, 2010, 03:19:29 PM »
Anyone see the Post's feature story on Harper?

Can't wait until this  guy's a Nat.

Offline I can Throw

« Reply #342: May 16, 2010, 03:29:14 PM »
any chance of a link?

Offline I can Throw

« Reply #344: May 17, 2010, 08:55:23 AM »
THanks for the link. Looking forward to the draft with him going #1 to the Nats.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #345: May 17, 2010, 09:03:26 AM »
Nice read.

I hope he stops putting eyeblack all over his face, though.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
« Reply #346: May 17, 2010, 11:47:28 AM »
If you ask me, all his attitude problems will be gone once he makes it to Syracuse. After a couple weeks in a AAA clubhouse when he is around grown men(I believe I saw average age of our AAA is higher than MLB), I think he'll be quiet. Then after that once he gets around the Ryan Zimmerman's, John Lannan's, and Josh Willingham's of the world, he'll see how to be a real professional.

If this guy somehow sustains this attitude once he is in the major leagues, then boys... That's going to be because Bryce Harper is everything we wanted. Jesus and Statan may be the best battery in the Major Leagues from day one one.

Offline JMW IV

« Reply #347: May 17, 2010, 01:16:43 PM »
just read the article.

love this kid. love the swagger. absolutely love it. the trash talk with the catcher was priceless.

people can have all the issues with the swagger and trash talk they want. but a professional athlete SHOULD have swagger. it is part of believing you are the best. like his dad said, you can't go out there saying "i am mediocre and that's ok".  besides, Michael Jordan was one of the biggest trash talkers in the history of sports. and he's the greatest basketball player ever.

I am sold on the Kid. buying a Harper jersey as soon as we draft him.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #348: May 17, 2010, 01:19:21 PM »
just read the article.

love this kid. love the swagger. absolutely love it. the trash talk with the catcher was priceless.

people can have all the issues with the swagger and trash talk they want. but a professional athlete SHOULD have swagger. it is part of believing you are the best. like his dad said, you can't go out there saying "i am mediocre and that's ok".  besides, Michael Jordan was one of the biggest trash talkers in the history of sports. and he's the greatest basketball player ever.

Jordan didn't show others up by crying, throwing helmets and acting like a spoiled brat. He let his play do the talking in the end.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #349: May 17, 2010, 01:27:19 PM »
just read the article.

people can have all the issues with the swagger and trash talk they want. but a professional athlete SHOULD have swagger. it is part of believing you are the best. like his dad said, you can't go out there saying "i am mediocre and that's ok".  besides, Michael Jordan was one of the biggest trash talkers in the history of sports. and he's the greatest basketball player ever.

yea, the kid's 17 and owning kids who are older than him. actually, not just owning, but flat-out dominating them. i can see why he talks so much crap

as long as he can deal with failure and won't act spoiled (don't think he will), he'll be a keeper