Author Topic: Look to 2010: Frontline Starting Pitcher Needed  (Read 9278 times)

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
we need to acquire at least TWO GOOD starters that can serve as a 1 and a 3. that's in addition to a Livan-type back-of-the-rotation Innings eater.

Lannan can be the #2.

what we DON'T want, is to be going into the season looking to throw the weight of the entire world on Strasburg's shoulders. and we don't want to be going into the season looking at essentially the same rotation we had at the end of last year.

I don't care what any scouts say..if Strasburg is in a position where he's the best choice to start Opening Day, we are in SERIOUS, SERIOUS trouble, and Rizzo has failed at his job.

all of those other guys (Stammen, Martis, Martin, etc.) should be fighting with Strasburg for the #5 rotation slot. and whomever loses out should fill out the rotation in Syracuse until injuries happen.

1 FA
2 Lannan
3 FA
4 Cheap FA Inning-Eater
5 Stras, Stammen, Martis, Detwiler, Balester or Martin

Offline UMDNats

we should sign livan to be our #1 for nostalgia

Offline sportsfan882

we should sign livan to be our #1 for nostalgia
:clap:

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
:clap:

You are so oblivious to all forms of humor :lol:

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
the reality is that outside of Lackey, there really isn't a top flight pitcher out there, and I'd be very surprised if Lackey would come here after playing for a world series contender year after year, especially when the Mets will likely give him whatever he wants (maybe to join Matt Holiday at Citi).

So you're stuck looking for a couple of decent innings eaters - Wolf seems to be the best out there, maybe Duchscherer as a #2 assuming he comes back.  Maybe try and sign Chris Capuano to a ML contract and see if he's got anything left after two TJ surgeries.

My bet for the 2010 rotation:
1. Lannan
2. Wolf
3. Livan
4. Strasburg
5. Martin/Stammen/Martis/Detwiller

Maybe Olsen in the pen to start the year and have him work back into the rotation at some point.  Mock probably in the pen as well.

Offline NatsDad14

I'd want Lannan and Detwiler to be locks for next year's rotation with Stammen/Martin/Livan fighting for the 5th spot.

Lannan
Penny
Nolasco
Detwiler
Stammen

IMO, I don't want to sign 2-3 starters long term because we could potentially have this rotation for 2011:

Strasburg
Lannan
Zimmermann
Detwiler
FA

The 2011 FA class includes guys like Josh Beckett and Cliff Lee. It is a lot better class of FA than this year's class.

Offline CatsEye

• Very weird season -Creepy - What....
we need to acquire at least TWO GOOD starters - that's in addition to a Livan-type back-of-the-rotation Innings eater.
what we DON'T want, is to be going into the season looking to throw the weight of the entire world on Strasburg's shoulders. and we don't want to be going into the season looking at essentially the same rotation we had at the end of last year.
                  No truer words were ever spoken...............

Offline houston-nat

The 2011 FA class includes guys like Josh Beckett and Cliff Lee. It is a lot better class of FA than this year's class.

It really does make sense to sign a lot of one-year deals if there are hopes for Zimmermann and if we could have any realistic chance of signing Cliff Lee.
But ... would we have any realistic chance of signing Cliff Lee? Pitchers signed to multi-year contracts can always be traded. We ought to be winning so free agents will want to come play for us.

Offline DPMOmaha

We might if we can show significant improvement next year.  If we have another clunker of a year, it'll be tough to convince anyone of his ilk to come. 

Offline NatsAddict

If the Nats want Livan, they are going to have to pay him more.  His house down here went into foreclosure today.

Offline houston-nat

This guy's not a "frontline" starter, but Tim Dierkes at MLBTR wondered in his chat if we would trade Josh Willingham to the Reds "if the Reds kicked in a little cash."

Offline DPMOmaha

Who would we be getting back from Cincy for Willingham.  no one on their roster strikes me as worth giving him up for.

Offline PatsNats28

hows volquez doin?

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
Edinson? He had TJ this season.

Online imref

Who would we be getting back from Cincy for Willingham.  no one on their roster strikes me as worth giving him up for.

I'd send Josh packing for Homer Bailey, maybe Nick Masset, and maybe even Cueto.

Offline DPMOmaha

I'd go for Cueto.  I forgot about him.

Offline houston-nat

Oh, oops!! I forgot to include the name Tim Dierkes suggested ... Bronson Arroyo.

Offline PatsNats28

freak no

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
god no

Online imref

Oh, oops!! I forgot to include the name Tim Dierkes suggested ... Bronson Arroyo.

i might consider Dukes for Arroyo.....

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
Id take Cueto. Arroyo? ehhhh, not for Willingham. I like me some Willingham

Offline blue911

Arroyo is Spanish means ditch.

Offline natsfan4evr

No more Reds. Haven't we learned by now what happens when we trade for a Reds player?

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
arroyo fits the profile of an innings eater.  he had some success the second half of the year. he's expensive.  I like Willingham a lot for this team.  I would not part with him, but might be interested in Arroyo if the Nats would send a lesser player and eat more cash.

Offline blue911

arroyo fits the profile of an innings eater.  he had some success the second half of the year. he's expensive.  I like Willingham a lot for this team.  I would not part with him, but might be interested in Arroyo if the Nats would send a lesser player and eat more cash.

Arroyo is one brownie away from a 50 day vacation.