Author Topic: WTOP: Water taxi service to Nats park starts in early September  (Read 2373 times)

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
You obviously never take the Red Line :bang:

The ONE thing you always have to bring to public transportation is patience.   It has helped me any number of times to make it through the day when taking the Red Line.   I never did understand the routing of the Red Line but I guess those decisions were made a long time ago taking into consideration politics, fine arts societies and the like.    The Red Line was designed to be a CF ...  especially if there is a problem anywhere along the line.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
The ONE thing you always have to bring to public transportation is patience.   It has helped me any number of times to make it through the day when taking the Red Line.   I never did understand the routing of the Red Line but I guess those decisions were made a long time ago taking into consideration politics, fine arts societies and the like.    The Red Line was designed to be a CF ...  especially if there is a problem anywhere along the line.

I had to get off at Friendship Heights recently and take a taxi because there was no AC and the car hadn't moved for 30 minutes.

Offline blue911

You obviously never take the Red Line :bang:

That's the part of the subway built by the commies,hence the name.

Offline mitlen

I had to get off at Friendship Heights recently and take a taxi because there was no AC and the car hadn't moved for 30 minutes.

"Back in the day", I would have simply walked down Wisconsin AVE to the Zebra Room and spent the rest of the day .... "hold all my calls" ....  "cancel all my meetings" ...  "I'm in conference." ...   or up to the Dancing Crab ...

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
The Zebra Room and the Dancing Crab were fine establishments...I see that the former is now some douchebag fouffy wine bar called "oenology"...

"Back in the day", I would have simply walked down Wisconsin AVE to the Zebra Room and spent the rest of the day .... "hold all my calls" ....  "cancel all my meetings" ...  "I'm in conference." ...   or up to the Dancing Crab ...

Offline mitlen

The Zebra Room and the Dancing Crab were fine establishments...I see that the former is now some douchebag fouffy wine bar called "oenology"...

I haven't been in that neighborhood in quite some time.   I don't usually get beyond Good Guys (LOL).   I may have to go up and see if they have any of that world famous greasy Zebra Room pizza.    Did ya ever frequent the Moon Palace ?

• babble on
Yep, Moon Palace was where one got their MSG fix when not doing half-price pizza at Zebra Room or Maggie's. 

I haven't been in that neighborhood in quite some time.   I don't usually get beyond Good Guys (LOL).   I may have to go up and see if they have any of that world famous greasy Zebra Room pizza.    Did ya ever frequent the Moon Palace ?

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
I haven't been in that neighborhood in quite some time.   I don't usually get beyond Good Guys (LOL).   I may have to go up and see if they have any of that world famous greasy Zebra Room pizza.    Did ya ever frequent the Moon Palace ?

Was it Good Guys or JR's that burned down?

• babble on
JPs burned down, but Good Guys also had a a couple of fires, including one where the bouncer was doused with gas and lit on fire.  Classy place.

Was it Good Guys or JR's that burned down?

Offline blue911

JPs burned down, but Good Guys also had a a couple of fires, including one where the bouncer was doused with gas and lit on fire.  Classy place.

Good Guys is the Ritz if you compare it to Clancys.

• babble on
Just don't date the dancers.    :rofl:

Offline blue911

Offline mitlen

Good Guys is the Ritz if you compare it to Clancys.

AMEN ... 911.    Remember the parachute they had hanging over the "stage" ?     When I really wanted to "relax" after a hard day, I'd head to the Grog and Tankard.    It was very casual with cheap drafts (55 cents).     Always started the day at Lehi.   Ex-DC LEO used to own it.    They told me I looked like a SO from 2D.    My buddies and I got away with a lot of stuff because of the mis-identification (LOL).    We used it to the max.

Offline blue911

AMEN ... 911.    Remember the parachute they had hanging over the "stage" ?     When I really wanted to "relax" after a hard day, I'd head to the Grog and Tankard.    It was very casual with cheap drafts (55 cents).     Always started the day at Lehi.   Ex-DC LEO used to own it.    They told me I looked like a SO from 2D.    My buddies and I got away with a lot of stuff because of the mis-identification (LOL).    We used it to the max.

The Grog & The Guys where commonly know as "Fish & Tits".

Offline mitlen

LOL   ...  and it was a l-o-n-g slog up to the Zebra Room from there.    Couldn't afford a bus ride and a pitcher at the Zebra Room.    He!!, on special nights, we'd go to Circus.    We had a buddy who was a busboy and he'd get us free drinks.    Good memories ... yet those were tough times.   Had just gotten out of the Army (drafted) and was ... finding my way back home.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
I wonder how many return trips they plan to run per night,  do you have to wait until after the game for the ride back to your car, what are they going to do for extra inning games?  With so many Nats games going more than three hours, a 40 minute return trip to your car in Alexandria will make for a late night.  Sounds like a great idea for an afternoon game.

(The Good Guys bouncer is a true hero, he was severely burned in the attack, he saved the lives of those in the bar that night.)

Offline Dave B

Well, there's a bottleneck in the little black hose between the tap and the nozzle.  Maybe if we could get a bigger one, it might be possible.  I hate to be the killjoy...

one of my friends in college joined a frat where the pledges had to kill a keg with a running tap. he said it took about 45 minutes.

A) he might be wrong
B) i'd imagine there is a large variation in flow rates depending on who is pumping

someone needs to find the max rate that you can empty/pump a keg foam free.  that could be a mechanical engineering phd thesis

Online 1995hoo

I wonder how many return trips they plan to run per night,  do you have to wait until after the game for the ride back to your car, what are they going to do for extra inning games?  With so many Nats games going more than three hours, a 40 minute return trip to your car in Alexandria will make for a late night.  Sounds like a great idea for an afternoon game.

Definitely. I park for $15 and I'm usually (barring delays due to Beltway construction) home in Kingstowne within 20 minutes after getting into the car, using I-295 and the Wilson Bridge. I can't imagine that I'd ever view the water taxi as a better means of transportation when it will cost more and take longer, not to mention that it would still be necessary to pay for parking in Old Town (assuming it's going to run from the docks behind the Torpedo Factory). I might like to try it as a novelty on a Sunday, though, just for the chance to get some pictures of the city from a very different angle—sort of the same reason I took my camera with me when I took a bike ride over the Wilson Bridge last week.

Offline Obed_Marsh

metro always eats my card.  and when i go to the station they always tell me oh the magnetic stripe is messed up (and i keep it in a pocket opposite of my cell, so i don't know how the hell it could happen).

Buy a SmartTrip card you cheap bastard and quit your nagging ;)

http://www.wmata.com/fares/smartrip/.

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
Register your Smart Trip and if you put a lot of money on it, you'll get a new Smart Trip (-$5 for the cost of the card!

Smart Trip will also allow faster exits out of Metro Parking lots.

Sometimes, if you have less than the trip allows on a Smart Trip, it will let you have a return trip on it.  However, you have to reload the card before your next trip.  When you reload it, it will subtract what you owe (trip cost - what was on  your card at the time), from the card.

When the stadium opened, you could get one like my Avi!

Offline mitlen

Register your Smart Trip and if you put a lot of money on it, you'll get a new Smart Trip (-$5 for the cost of the card!

Smart Trip will also allow faster exits out of Metro Parking lots.

Sometimes, if you have less than the trip allows on a Smart Trip, it will let you have a return trip on it.  However, you have to reload the card before your next trip.  When you reload it, it will subtract what you owe (trip cost - what was on  your card at the time), from the card.

When the stadium opened, you could get one like my Avi!

Smart Trip is the way to go.   It can also be used on Fairfax Connector, etc.   I had a problem with loading money one day (basically took my money) and I got a refund within a week.   I was told the registration helped them save me time by being sure it was really my card.   I like your card.   Gotta check to see if they still have 'em.

Offline Obed_Marsh

Gotta check to see if they still have 'em.

Not unless they are in retail stores. I slacked too and didn't get my curly W one. :(

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
Ask at the Navy Yard station.  Their machines used to have them there.  They also had one with a diamond view of the field.

Offline UMDNats

Ask at the Navy Yard station.  Their machines used to have them there.  They also had one with a diamond view of the field.

I got one of those in college park. they're awesome.