Author Topic: Hardware/OS Geek Thread  (Read 53349 times)

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
Re: Hardware/OS Geek Thread
« Reply #200: October 06, 2009, 04:55:29 PM »
You'll get the final version of 2010, so who cares about the preview?  Then again, Office isn't the most exciting thing in the world to me.

And yes I have a Technet sub.  Got it solely for Windows 7, but the other benefits are nice as well.  I thought I had mentioned this previously in this thread, but maybe I'm wrong.

Offline PC

« Reply #201: October 06, 2009, 05:06:06 PM »
You'll get the final version of 2010, so who cares about the preview?  Then again, Office isn't the most exciting thing in the world to me.

And yes I have a Technet sub.  Got it solely for Windows 7, but the other benefits are nice as well.  I thought I had mentioned this previously in this thread, but maybe I'm wrong.

It just would have been nice to see it, Office 2010, that is, without skulking around the nether regions of the internet to find it.

And you might have mentioned you had a TechNet subscription but, if it wasn't in response to something I posted, I probably didn't read it. :lol:

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #202: October 06, 2009, 05:15:59 PM »
Is there any way to get a cheaper version of the TechNet sub?  Like a student version?

Also, do they carry Mac products too?  It'd be worth it for 7 plus the next version of Office:Mac.  Though I have already "acquired" Windows 7, the Activation period is almost up.

Offline PC

« Reply #203: October 06, 2009, 05:41:33 PM »
Is there any way to get a cheaper version of the TechNet sub?  Like a student version?

Also, do they carry Mac products too?  It'd be worth it for 7 plus the next version of Office:Mac.  Though I have already "acquired" Windows 7, the Activation period is almost up.

I'm not aware of a student subscription for TechNet but there are always promos floating around.  I used one for my subscription, 25% off, I believe it was.

And, I just checked, all of the downloads are Windows programs.

Offline Nathan

« Reply #204: October 06, 2009, 05:49:41 PM »
Yeah, all I saw for Mac when I looked was Virtual PC which is useless anymore since the transition to x86 from PPC.  I guess you could use OS X's Rosetta to emulate PPC on the x86 Mac, and then run VPC to emulate x86 from an emulated PPC environment.  I wonder how fast that would run :lol:

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #205: October 06, 2009, 06:26:12 PM »
I am on MSDNAA. I got Windows 7 Pro and also downloaded XP and am currently downloading Vista Enterprise to put on my other laptop.

all free :az:

Offline The Chief

« Reply #206: October 07, 2009, 12:11:59 AM »

As PC mentioned, they often do 15 or 25% off promos, or $100 off promos.  Once in a blue moon they will do a $99/1yr promo.

Though I have already "acquired" Windows 7, the Activation period is almost up.

1) Run a command prompt as administrator

2) Type "slmgr -rearm" and hit enter

3) Reboot.  Should give you another 30 days.  You can do this up to 3 times.

Offline Nathan

« Reply #207: October 07, 2009, 11:58:26 PM »
New MLB branded notebooks from Dell...

Here's a gallery of all of them from Engadget: http://www.engadget.com/photos/mlb-for-dell/

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #208: October 08, 2009, 12:19:18 AM »
If I was the Nats' org, I would buy a bunch with the Nats' logo and give them to employees. That'd be sick!

Offline The Chief

« Reply #209: October 08, 2009, 11:13:57 AM »

Offline Frau Mau

• Good boy!
« Reply #210: October 08, 2009, 02:09:09 PM »
But it's still a Dell....

Offline Nathan

« Reply #211: October 08, 2009, 02:22:54 PM »
But it's still a Dell....
Yeah, I didn't check the specs, I'm sure they are just mediocre budget systems, I just thought it was cool that they actually made a Nationals version.

Offline PC

« Reply #212: October 12, 2009, 01:08:23 AM »
I am really LOVING this TechNet subscription!
Having access to so many product keys makes you want to install programs! :lol:  You are started out with 10 keys for almost all of the programs, except for the Multiple Activation/Static Activation programs, which use one key for multiple activations.  I assume there's a limit to that number of activations, though I haven't found out what it is.  I've read between 10 and 100! :shock:

In the last two weeks or so, just for Windows and Office, I’ve used:
1 Vista Ultimate x64
1 Vista Business x64
1 7 Professional x64
1 7 Ultimate x86
1 7 Home Basic (only comes in 32-bit)
1 7 Starter (only comes in 32-bit)
2 Office 2007 Professional
1 Office 2003 Standard (with Office 2003 Professional is a Static Activation program same with Office XP)

They’re more stingy with 7, not surprising, but for XP and Vista, they’re much more "generous".  Internationally, because of the anti-trust thing, there are multiple versions and they give you keys for them individually.  For example, with Vista, Business and Home Basic are completely different than Business N and Home Basic N.  The only difference, in reality, is the N versions don’t come with Windows Media Player, which DUH can just be downloaded and installed but they’re a different count in the activation keys.  So despite the fact that I’ve used one Business key, I still have 10 Business N keys.

With XP, there are even more internationally versions, because Korea got their piece of flesh with the K version.  So with XP Home, for example, there's XP Home, XP Home K (which doesn’t include instant messenger) and XP Home KN (which doesn’t include media player and instant messenger).  Same with XP Professional.  Plus there's XP Media Center and XP Tablet!

If I’d gotten this subscription last year, renewed it this year, both at full price, I’d still have saved hundreds of dollars that I’ve spent on Microsoft software.  Too bad I can't sell any of them!  >:(

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
« Reply #213: October 12, 2009, 01:23:30 AM »
i need to find myself a good netbook for around 300 bucks. if possible.

I don't give a crap about what's installed on it other than the OS, I'll install my own cause I use mostly free crap, particularly Google free crap.

I'd go with Ubuntu..except that Chrome doesn't work on Linux yet. bleh. plus I dunno if Media Go! (which i'll need to use to manage my PSP content in the future when I get my PSP Go) is usable through WINE or not. those are two programs that I absolutely want and/or need to use. otherwise, I'm pretty flexible. I use GMail for my Mail, Google Docs and/or OpenOffice.org for my Office Suite(I use Docs mostly, but keep OpenOffice.org installed incase I need it.) beyond that I don't really NEED much, because my computer is mostly for personal use and not real hardcore business work.

so I suppose I'll be needing XP or Windows 7.

I'm more worried about HD space and specs.

any suggestions?

Offline Nathan

« Reply #214: October 12, 2009, 01:33:56 AM »
i need to find myself a good netbook for around 300 bucks. if possible.

I don't give a crap about what's installed on it other than the OS, I'll install my own cause I use mostly free crap, particularly Google free crap.

I'd go with Ubuntu..except that Chrome doesn't work on Linux yet. bleh. plus I dunno if Media Go! (which i'll need to use to manage my PSP content in the future when I get my PSP Go) is usable through WINE or not. those are two programs that I absolutely want and/or need to use. otherwise, I'm pretty flexible. I use GMail for my Mail, Google Docs and/or OpenOffice.org for my Office Suite(I use Docs mostly, but keep OpenOffice.org installed incase I need it.) beyond that I don't really NEED much, because my computer is mostly for personal use and not real hardcore business work.

so I suppose I'll be needing XP or Windows 7.

I'm more worried about HD space and specs.

any suggestions?

As far as specs, you'll be getting a 1.6 GHz single core Intel Atom most likely, since nearly all netbooks come with the same N270 Atom.

If you can wait a while, Chrome OS should be shipping on netbooks by the end of the year.

Also, why netbook?  If you don't need the extreme portability, you'd be better off with a cheap regular sized notebook.  Those 10" screens are reeeeeally small when you try to actually use one, not to mention the small keyboard.

Are refurbs ok?  There are refurbed HP minis I saw going at around $240, only 8GB HD and 512MB of ram though, you could upgrade both for fairly cheap.

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
« Reply #215: October 12, 2009, 01:45:35 AM »
  If you don't need the extreme portability, you'd be better off with a cheap regular sized notebook. 

is there such a mythical creature?

Offline Nathan

« Reply #216: October 12, 2009, 01:51:25 AM »
is there such a mythical creature?
Sure.  Probably not a new one at your $300 price point, but at $400 you could find a few.

Here is a Dell Vostro A860.  http://www.dell.com/us/en/business/notebooks/laptop-vostro-a860/pd.aspx?refid=laptop-vostro-a860&s=bsd&cs=04

It's only a single core celeron at 2.13 GHz, but it should handily out perform the netbook I would think.  $399.

Also, the Vostro A90 starts at $219.  It is a netbook, but that is pretty cheap.  The cheap price is with Ubuntu though.  http://www.dell.com/us/en/business/notebooks/laptop-vostro-a90/pd.aspx?refid=laptop-vostro-a90&s=bsd&cs=04

Offline PC

« Reply #218: October 14, 2009, 08:36:59 PM »
Another Technet update...

First, still LOVING IT!

Second, there is a 64-bit version of 7 Home Basic.  You just can't download it on its own.  When you download an iso for 7, unlike Vista, you appear to get the one edition you requested, unless you expand the iso and remove a file (ei.cfg).  If you take out that file, you get the list of editions to choose from, like you did with Vista.  If you do that with a 64-bit iso, you can select the Home Basic version.

Third, when I listed the XP Home editions, (XP Home, XP Home K, XP Home KN)  I forgot XP Home N.  So for XP Home, you get 40 keys that require an additional download or two to all be the same. XP Home, XP Home K and XP Home KN all use the same iso.  XP Home N is a different iso.

Fourth, STILL LOVING IT!  :D

EDIT... and add Vista Home Basic N and XP Home KN to the list of keys that I've used.

Offline Nathan

« Reply #219: October 14, 2009, 08:53:34 PM »

First, still LOVING IT!

Second, there is a 64-bit version of 7 Home Basic.  You just can't download it on its own.  When you download an iso for 7, unlike Vista, you appear to get the one edition you requested, unless you expand the iso and remove a file (ei.cfg).  If you take out that file, you get the list of editions to choose from, like you did with Vista.  If you do that with a 64-bit iso, you can select the Home Basic version.

Third, when I listed the XP Home editions, (XP Home, XP Home K, XP Home KN)  I forgot XP Home N.  So for XP Home, you get 40 keys that require an additional download or two to all be the same. XP Home, XP Home K and XP Home KN all use the same iso.  XP Home N is a different iso.

Fourth, STILL LOVING IT!  :D
What's XP Home K and KN?

I've gotta sign up just as soon as I can find a deal on the subscription.  I still wish my friggin' MacBook Pro could use the integrated 9400m under Windows.  First, my iPhone 3GS lets me down (looking at a sholes/tao/droid from Verizon) and now my MacBook Pro is upsetting me because of this bull crap.

Very tempting to sell on ebay, probably getting close to retail, but I don't see a PC notebook I want just yet.  Next one has to be quad core (hopefully i7).

Offline PC

« Reply #220: October 14, 2009, 08:57:50 PM »
What's XP Home K and KN?

XP Home K - special Korean antitrust version of XP Home
XP Home KN - I assume is some kind of amalgamation of the European antitrust version (N) and the Korean antitrust version (K) of XP Home, though I'm not sure what exactly the market would be for this version.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #221: October 14, 2009, 09:02:21 PM »
what use do you have for a million different versions of windows? how many computers do you have?

Offline The Chief

« Reply #222: October 14, 2009, 09:04:58 PM »

First, still LOVING IT!

Second, there is a 64-bit version of 7 Home Basic.  You just can't download it on its own.  When you download an iso for 7, unlike Vista, you appear to get the one edition you requested, unless you expand the iso and remove a file (ei.cfg).  If you take out that file, you get the list of editions to choose from, like you did with Vista.  If you do that with a 64-bit iso, you can select the Home Basic version.

Third, when I listed the XP Home editions, (XP Home, XP Home K, XP Home KN)  I forgot XP Home N.  So for XP Home, you get 40 keys that require an additional download or two to all be the same. XP Home, XP Home K and XP Home KN all use the same iso.  XP Home N is a different iso.

Fourth, STILL LOVING IT!  :D

EDIT... and add Vista Home Basic N and XP Home KN to the list of keys that I've used.

It's much easier (and usually faster) to install 7 from a USB flash drive.  All that's required is to format the drive in Vista or 7, create a partition, set that partition active (Vista/7 diskpart can be used for this) then copy all files to the root of the flash device.  This makes removing/restoring/editing the sources\ei.cfg file much more convenient.

Okay but really, who would want to install a 64-bit version of Home Basic?  I only ever install 64 bit Premium, Pro, or Ultimate unless the machine in question simply doesn't support 64-bit, but I can't see anyone willingly using the hideous basic theme full-time.  Puke.

Also for anyone wondering what the use of Ultimate edition is (aside from what's openly advertised) - Ultimate remote dekstop supports Aero Glass.  No other edition does.  Silly reason to PAY for Ultimate, but if you've got nearly unlimited access to any version you want, it's a decent reason to choose Ultimate.

There are a few other random things about Ultimate that make it marginally worthwhile, but they escape me at the moment.

XP Home K - special Korean antitrust version of XP Home
XP Home KN - I assume is some kind of amalgamation of the European antitrust version (N) and the Korean antitrust version (K) of XP Home, though I'm not sure what exactly the market would be for this version.

K - no Media Player
N - no IE
KN - no WMP, AND no IE.

Offline PC

« Reply #223: October 14, 2009, 09:11:50 PM »
what use do you have for a million different versions of windows? how many computers do you have?

MANY!

Offline PC

« Reply #224: October 14, 2009, 09:13:29 PM »
Okay but really, who would want to install a 64-bit version of Home Basic?

For the same reason a dog licks himself. :lol: