Author Topic: Hardware/OS Geek Thread  (Read 53071 times)

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
Re: Hardware/OS Geek Thread
« Reply #425: October 24, 2009, 08:35:11 PM »
Nerd pictures:

Offline PC

« Reply #426: October 24, 2009, 08:36:23 PM »
say, how difficult is it to replace the RAM in a Laptop?

It depends on the laptop.  Some are easy.  Some are a nightmare.  That's one thing all notebook manufacturers should make as easy as possible.  That and changing the hard drive.

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #427: October 24, 2009, 08:37:40 PM »
Jesus that cooler looks heavy, like it would snap off the mobo.

Specs?

Offline NatsAddict

« Reply #428: October 24, 2009, 09:53:48 PM »
Microsoft Acknowledges Problems With Windows 7 Student Edition Upgrades

If you've been eyeing the downloadable student edition upgrade of Windows 7 with that sweet, sweet $29 price, you might want to hold off. Microsoft has acknowledged that downloads from Digital River, the provider of student edition upgrades, are experiencing problems.

Apparently Microsoft decided to release the upgrade as an installer instead of an ISO file, and it's causing all kinds of headaches. Users are reporting that after the installer goes through the "Unloading the BOx" step, an error occurs and the installation fails.

There are workarounds available, like instructions to build your own ISO out of the installer, but it's probably best to wait a bit until this is all sorted out.
PC World via Gizmodo

Offline The Chief

« Reply #429: October 24, 2009, 10:58:06 PM »
^^^Ew.  I wouldn't have touched that with a 10-ft pole.

Jesus that cooler looks heavy, like it would snap off the mobo.

Specs?

~600g or so, though I can't remember if that includes the fan or not.  Either way I never had a problem with it on my old LGA 775 board, and that was just using pushpin retention.  Had to buy a backplate bolt-through adapter for 1156.

Core i7 860 (quad core, 2.8 GHz, hyperthreading, turbo up to 3.46 GHz)
4GB DDR3-1333 ("downgraded" from 8GB of DDR2 on my old setup, but it's only rarely that I needed more than 4, so I figured I'd save a few bucks for now)
Intel X25-M gen. 2 80GB SSD for OS/apps/games
WD 1TB Black Edition for all my other crap
Radeon 5850 - overkill for the games I play but I prob won't be upgrading again for a while so eh.

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
« Reply #430: October 24, 2009, 11:42:50 PM »
ok, so I'm not sure if i should talk about this here, or if Social Media needs its own thread but whatever. maybe this thread is more for hardware? *shrug*

I'm starting to get more into Facebook. particularly the little Facebook games.

still doesn't have the "global chat" factor that Twitter has, but it has its charm in other areas.

for Twitter I'm using a web-based client called "Brizzly", and it is AWESOME. it's also on invite-only status, which I can hook up for anyone here who uses twitter on a regular basis.

I'm finding Facebook to be a nice complement to Twitter. at this point, I would not use Facebook exclusively, but I'd use Facebook + Twitter to cover all my social media needs.

I'm still trying like hell to get an Invite to Google Wave though. :(

Offline Nathan

« Reply #431: October 24, 2009, 11:57:29 PM »
I was prettyhard core into Farmville there for a while :lol:

I have a question for any of those out there with a profession in the computer field.  What major should I go for :lol:

I have an AA in general studies from a community college and have only completed a few courses for my major at UMUC (online) taking a half time course load.  My current major is Computer Science but I'm having some second thoughts.  I don't know if I really want to be a programmer per say.  I mean I like programming, but I don't know if I want to do that as a full time job.  I'm wondering if I should go for something like Computer and Information science instead.

I'm also wondering if I should try to take a few courses and get A+ certified so I can get a job in the computer field now instead of the job I have now.  I can't really handle a full time online course load plus a full time job.

Offline Nathan

« Reply #432: October 25, 2009, 01:46:37 AM »
Windows 7 install complete.  Still no way to run the integrated graphics instead of the 9600.  The computer gets so freakING HOT!  I'm pretty low on Apple right now.  This is bullcrap.  The multi touch track pad is also VERY touchy.  Turning on tap to click means its almost impossible to use the pad to move the cursor without clicking EVERYTHING in sight.

FIX IT APPLE!!!! :evil:

At least the performance is respectable.

Offline PC

« Reply #433: October 25, 2009, 01:55:54 AM »
TechNet subscription purchased.  The best deal I could find was 25% so it was about $277 after tax.

I'm downloading Windows 7 Ultimate x64 right now.  There are a LOT of versions to choose from.  Starter, Basic, Ultimate, Professional, Home Premium, and Enterprise, and most have both an x86 and an x64 version PLUS most of them have "N" versions, whatever the hell that is.

There's a cornucopia isn't it? :lol:  The Windows 7 N versions were just added.  They're the European no-WMP versions, which can be converted to the American no-letter versions with one download.

So what they've really done is given you 10 more Windows 7 keys with each N edition.(Ultimate, Home Premium, Professional and Starter).  Because 10 Windows 7 Starter keys just wasn't enough!  :icon_mrgreen:

Home Basic isn't available in Europe so you still ONLY have 10 of those!

Offline The Chief

« Reply #434: October 25, 2009, 11:29:44 AM »
Nathan, Opera 10 for Mac appears to have a native fullscreen mode, just fyi

edit - yep.  no hotkey, annoyingly, but it does work

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #435: October 25, 2009, 11:32:23 AM »
Windows 7 WiFi management is made of win - I'm close to wiping out my linux Partition and running Linux solely as a virtual machine on top of Win 7. In fact, if you want to play with Linux once you get your machine, JMad, try Virtualbox.

Caveat is that you need enough RAM to run 2 operating systems at once, one with a simulated processor.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #436: October 25, 2009, 11:35:49 AM »
Nathan - is there any special trick to getting 7 installed w/ bootcamp?

PA - How would you compare virtualbox w/ VMWare Workstation?  I currently use Workstation at work (and at home, ostensibly for work purposes) but I've heard virtualbox mentioned quite a bit by other nerds on the intertubes.  Is it any good?

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #437: October 25, 2009, 12:36:36 PM »

PA - How would you compare virtualbox w/ VMWare Workstation?  I currently use Workstation at work (and at home, ostensibly for work purposes) but I've heard virtualbox mentioned quite a bit by other nerds on the intertubes.  Is it any good?

Caveat that I've never worked with VMWare.

Virtualbox is completely open source. It installs very easy, and will install an OS directly from .iso. It's network integration and virtual drive mounting works great. My ONLY complaint is that my drive image got corrupted, and my second newest snapshot was > 2 years old. Largely my fault but it was horrible just the same.

The main advantage for VMware that I know of is booting HD partitions as a VM. Virtualbox can't do it.

However, Virtualbox is made by innotek, like in Office Space, so that's a lot of points right there.

It is easy to set up, quick to download, and free. I'd certainly recommend futzing with it if you are bored one day.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #438: October 25, 2009, 12:41:36 PM »
Sounds good.  I never use partition mounting so that's not a big deal.  I'll give it a shot.

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
« Reply #439: October 25, 2009, 01:35:11 PM »
Hey, I got Google Voice invites to give, if any of you want one.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #440: October 25, 2009, 03:33:21 PM »
Except they did it one better ;)

Right click on desktop > personalize > click one of the "Aero" themes.  You'll need to have an appropriate display driver installed first, but from what you said before, it sounds like you've taken care of that.

(Image removed from quote.)

aw sick, the iTunes preview has pause and skip track buttons on it. wow.

Offline Nathan

« Reply #441: October 25, 2009, 05:03:56 PM »
Not at all.  All bootcamp is is a partition editor + a set of drivers on the OS X install disc.  Run the utility, resize the partition, reboot with the Windows CD in the drive, and let it fly.  When it's done, pop the OS X disc in the drive (while in windows) and it should autorun the drivers setup tool.

Offline Nathan

« Reply #442: October 25, 2009, 05:06:18 PM »
Nathan, Opera 10 for Mac appears to have a native fullscreen mode, just fyi

edit - yep.  no hotkey, annoyingly, but it does work
Wow, I didn't even think of checking Opera.  People still use it on the desktop?

Offline The Chief

« Reply #443: October 25, 2009, 07:01:01 PM »
Wow, I didn't even think of checking Opera.  People still use it on the desktop?

I don't normally but for some reason I had a hunch they might have a fullscreen mode

Offline The Chief

« Reply #444: October 26, 2009, 04:27:08 PM »
trippy  :lol:

Offline NatsAddict

« Reply #445: October 26, 2009, 05:02:09 PM »
trippy  :lol:

Bipolar?  I hope it has a lithium battery.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #446: October 26, 2009, 06:29:18 PM »
Bipolar?  I hope it has a lithium battery.

So bad

and yet so good :rimshot:

Offline Nathan

« Reply #447: October 26, 2009, 06:34:00 PM »
Anyone interested in the upcoming Motorola Droid from Verizon?

I'm thinking of switching back to Verizon from my iPhone 3GS /AT&T for it.  I've been waiting on an Android phone with something better than the 528 MHz Qualcomm chip they almost always have.  Droid is supposed to have a Cortex A8 (OMAP I think), though clocked a little lower than the iPhone 3GS.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #448: October 26, 2009, 06:37:42 PM »
those droid commercials bashing the iphone are so stupid :roll:

I have had the iphone 3g since it first came out last year and love it.

Offline Nathan

« Reply #449: October 26, 2009, 06:52:59 PM »
those droid commercials bashing the iphone are so stupid :roll:

I have had the iphone 3g since it first came out last year and love it.
I like them.  The beginning is a well done parody of Apple commercials.  The shiny reflective-ness and the upbeat dumbass song.  "Oh..oh oh oh oh oh oh....It's magic..." :lol:

I had the original iPhone from 2007 and it was great aside from being edge only (no 3G).  The 3GS, on the other hand, is kinda junky.  Piss poor battery life, and piss poor construction.  My screen is uneven in the bezel, and there is a giant particle of something stuck under it.

Maybe I'm just disillusioned, but as Apple has gained market share, the quality of their products have dropped.  My first iMac was a 20" G5 and it was awesome, gorgeous display (I believe they were S-IPS).  Then when I got my Alu. iMac it had an awful looking display with washed out colors and a very clear gradient from top to bottom (TN screen).  First iPhone was rugged and had exemplary battery life, 3GS is maybe 3-4 hours of usage + build defects.  

I thought they were back on track with the MacBook Pro, screen is good, but then they crap on me by locking me out of the more power efficient gpu when I'm in Windows.  The KB article says that "the 9400m is not supported by Windows and thus defaults to the 9600m GT".  That's bullcrap Apple, how come other PC makers use a 9400m with no problems?