Author Topic: Hardware/OS Geek Thread  (Read 53075 times)

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
Re: Hardware/OS Geek Thread
« Reply #325: October 23, 2009, 05:52:41 PM »
To be fair, their are fanboys for each platform/OS, and all of them are annoying as freak.

Many of us level headed Mac users, such as myself, dispise those mac ads too.  They don't actually tell you what is good about a Mac as much as bash on PC.  Though the end of the one new one against 7 was pretty funny, or at least it gave me a chuckle.

PC is a news anchor and there are a bunch of people somewhere that a field reporter is interviewing about 7.  They all say since they are moving, they might as well switch to Mac.  I chuckled at this part:

PC: "Cut to commercial!"
Mac: "We are a commercial"
PC: "Cut to another commercial!!"

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #326: October 23, 2009, 05:55:58 PM »
I read a study somewhere that said most people liked Hodgeman's character and felt like Long's was a little snot.

I've also had many marketing people tell me on multiple occasions that you NEVER run ads that focus on your competitor's products over your own.

The Mac ads are great comedy sketches.  Not so sure about their value as advertisements.

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
« Reply #327: October 23, 2009, 05:59:14 PM »
JMad you might help all of us (help you) if you answer this:

What's more important to you?  Bottom line price regardless of performance, or "bang for the buck"?

I just sold my brother's dual-core 15.6" 2GB RAM / 160 GB HDD laptop locally for $200 about 3 months ago, and it would blow any netbook out of the water.  I'm sure you could find something similar pretty easily.

well, a little of both.

I don't want a total piece of crap, but I don't *need* a super-duper top of the line computer.

but yes, price is a major factor. 300 bucks is my upper limit, though I'd prefer to spend less.

if I can get a decent laptop for anywhere between 150-300 bucks, that would do.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #328: October 23, 2009, 05:59:58 PM »
By the way Nathan, thanks for the command-L tip.  Been using the Macbook they loaned me at work eons ago since I sold my junker laptop and I'd be going nuts by now if I had to mouse up to the address bar every time

ZOMG CHIEF IS USING A MAC :shock:

Offline The Chief

« Reply #329: October 23, 2009, 06:01:04 PM »
well, a little of both.

I don't want a total piece of crap, but I don't *need* a super-duper top of the line computer.

but yes, price is a major factor. 300 bucks is my upper limit, though I'd prefer to spend less.

if I can get a decent laptop for anywhere between 150-300 bucks, that would do.

I wish you'd told me that before I sold mine, I'd have totally cut you a deal.

Tried checking Craigslist in your area?

Offline JMW IV

« Reply #330: October 23, 2009, 06:02:32 PM »
I wish you'd told me that before I sold mine, I'd have totally cut you a deal.

Tried checking Craigslist in your area?

i could.

but i don't trust craigslist for anything other than Job searches. frickin 419 scams everywhere on craigslist.

Offline JMW IV

« Reply #331: October 23, 2009, 06:10:39 PM »
lotta really crappy computers on craigslist. Intel Pentium M and such.

suppose that's about what I should expect for what I am looking to pay though.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #332: October 23, 2009, 06:13:18 PM »
lotta really crappy computers on craigslist. Intel Pentium M and such.

suppose that's about what I should expect for what I am looking to pay though.

Nothing wrong with a Pentium M.  They aren't really "Pentiums" in the sense of "crappy old Pentium 4" that most people think of.  A Pentium M would be quite capable of handling all the tasks you mentioned.  The only things out there faster are going to be dual core CPUs.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #333: October 23, 2009, 06:16:56 PM »
--Laptop Specs— (Dell Latitude)
CPU – Intel Pentium M 1.6 GHz (Intel 855PM )
Memory/RAM – 2.0gigs
Hard Drive – 80gig
Video Card – ATI Mobility Radeon 9000 AGP 4x
CD-ROM Drive – DVD\ CD-RW/R
IEEE 802.11b , Fast Ethernet , Gigabit Ethernet , Ethernet

for $150. thoughts?  I'm not really a hardware expert.

Not bad.  The only downside are the graphics - they aren't going to run "the pretties" in Windows 7, should you ever choose to go that route, which means you get ugly mode instead.  Need at least GMA945/950 for that.  It'll probably drive some eye-candy in Linux though, which if price is your concern, I'm assuming you're going with that or a leftover copy of XP anyway.

Still I feel like you might be able to do better at that price point.

Offline JMW IV

« Reply #334: October 23, 2009, 06:17:18 PM »
oh yeah?

ok, I'm gonna look through these adds and post ones I'm interested in, and you tell me which ones are more "bang for the buck", even though I'm doing this CheapLerner style.

there are a LOT of laptops here for 150-ish, surprisingly.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #335: October 23, 2009, 06:17:51 PM »
oh yeah?

ok, I'm gonna look through these adds and post ones I'm interested in, and you tell me which ones are more "bang for the buck", even though I'm doing this CheapLerner style.

Careful, Hammonds will print you a card.

Offline JMW IV

« Reply #336: October 23, 2009, 06:19:39 PM »
oh, i deleted that other one, because its in Clarksburg..and I don't even know where that is.

Offline JMW IV

Offline The Chief

« Reply #339: October 23, 2009, 06:41:12 PM »
At a glance I'd say the Compaq, depending upon what else you can find out about it.

Offline PC

« Reply #340: October 23, 2009, 06:47:00 PM »
If it's a retail key, you can use it forever, but you may have to call MS reactivation line if you move it to a different machine or swap out motherboards.

As for the other possibly implied meaning of your question, I don't know.  Two or three times, maybe.  I wouldn't advise it.

I have copies of XP Home and Professional from when XP was first released and the last few times I've installed them I've had to call Microsoft to activate them.

It's unnecessary now because I have the subscription, so I don't need to use them but it pissed me off that I'd have to call them to activate it. They were both running legally on one computer at a time.  With all of the copies of Windows that I've bought, I shouldn't be treated like a thief!   >:(

Now I have the same kind of problem with a copy of Office 2007 Home and Student that I bought last year.  Again, don't need it because of the subscription but I shouldn't have to call when they are being used legally.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #341: October 23, 2009, 06:50:06 PM »
I don't really see it as that big of a deal.  The call centers are usually very expedient.  I honestly only once ever used a retail copy of XP (Media Center) since I was otherwise able to get legit corporate copies via work, but Vista and 7 both seem to be a lot more lax on activating and reactivating.  I've used the same key on my home desktop 3 or 4 times already without having to call anyone, and one of those times was after completely replacing the guts of my computer.

Offline PC

« Reply #342: October 23, 2009, 06:50:24 PM »
Well, it's illegal for one reason.  A retail license is usually for one computer only.  Your MSDN version might be different though, you may be able to generate a few keys.  In a TechNet subscription you can get multiple keys (10) for each version.

Did you buy the subscription you were talking about before?

Offline PC

« Reply #343: October 23, 2009, 06:53:14 PM »
Best Buy is having a 7 Days of Windows 7 deal, three Windows 7 computers (netbook, laptop and desktop) for $1169.

If I wasn't already over run with computers, I'd be all over this! :lol:

Offline The Chief

« Reply #344: October 23, 2009, 06:55:57 PM »
Best Buy is having a 7 Days of Windows 7 deal, three Windows 7 computers (netbook, laptop and desktop) for $1169.

If I wasn't already over run with computers, I've be all over this! :lol:

I would ask who buys 3 computers at the same time, but I guess you just answered that question for me.  That is a pretty good deal though, depending on the computers.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #345: October 23, 2009, 07:00:35 PM »
:lmao:

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #346: October 23, 2009, 07:06:51 PM »
I think I'm about to install Windows 7 on the PC I am currently running (Vista Enterprise).

It's kind of a nag though. I don't believe it will upgrade so I will have to do a clean install which means I will have to re-install all of the programs that I just got through installing.  :evil:

I am kind of freaked though in one regard. I just download VMWare Workstation with a valid 12 month license key on this machine. But when I do the clean install it will be gone and I don't know if it will let me use that key again.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #347: October 23, 2009, 07:09:12 PM »
I think I'm about to install Windows 7 on the PC I am currently running (Vista Enterprise).

It's kind of a nag though. I don't believe it will upgrade so I will have to do a clean install which means I will have to re-install all of the programs that I just got through installing.  :evil:

I am kind of freaked though in one regard. I just download VMWare Workstation with a valid 12 month license key on this machine. But when I do the clean install it will be gone and I don't know if it will let me use that key again.

Pretty sure you can use Workstation keys more than once, but don't hold me to that.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #348: October 23, 2009, 07:13:10 PM »
f. if i do a clean install will i lose all my drivers too that are working with vista and should work with 7?

Offline The Chief

« Reply #349: October 23, 2009, 07:14:41 PM »
f. if i do a clean install will i lose all my drivers too that are working with vista and should work with 7?

Just make sure you have a working Vista/7 wireless driver.  You should be able to pull most of the other stuff via Windows Update or the appropriate manufacturer's site.  You're sure it won't let you do an upgrade?