Author Topic: Hardware/OS Geek Thread  (Read 53081 times)

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
Re: Hardware/OS Geek Thread
« Reply #300: October 23, 2009, 01:58:03 PM »
Well, it's illegal for one reason.  A retail license is usually for one computer only.  Your MSDN version might be different though, you may be able to generate a few keys.  In a TechNet subscription you can get multiple keys (10) for each version.

And from what I've heard you can successfully activate each key on at least 2 or 3 different machines.  I would assume this is true with ordinary licenses as well, but regardless, it's still a violation of the EULA and possibly illegal (not entirely sure on that part)

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #301: October 23, 2009, 04:05:21 PM »
And from what I've heard you can successfully activate each key on at least 2 or 3 different machines.  I would assume this is true with ordinary licenses as well, but regardless, it's still a violation of the EULA and possibly illegal (not entirely sure on that part)
why do you care? you don't work for msoft do you?

I will see if MSDN will give out more than one key.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #302: October 23, 2009, 04:08:56 PM »
Stealing software is one thing.

Invalidating legitimately purchased software that you paid for yourself is just silly.

But, you know...  whatever floats your boat.  Let us know what it's like on the inside if they have internet access? ;)

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #303: October 23, 2009, 04:11:30 PM »
I don't think it's a big deal as long as it works.

what are they going to do? put me in jail? :lmao:

Offline The Chief

« Reply #304: October 23, 2009, 04:13:05 PM »
I don't think it's a big deal as long as it works.

what are they going to do? put me in jail? :lmao:

Doubtful.  But you still run the risk of having your key blacklisted.  Besides...

how many computers do you have?

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #305: October 23, 2009, 04:17:05 PM »
Windows 7 installer was nice enough to tell me to deauthorize iTunes before continuing. SP1 and SP2, not so much, so I burned 1 authorized computer :bang: It's pretty sweet that the installer runs on top of Vista and keeps your wireless, etc going. Probably because it's just an enhancement and not a new OS.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #306: October 23, 2009, 04:19:51 PM »
Doubtful.  But you still run the risk of having your key blacklisted.  Besides...

Me, personally, only 2. One has Windows 7 on it (64 bit; in repair due to crappy display) and the other has Vista Enterprise (32 bit).

I have a valid Windows 7 Pro (x64) key and a valid Windows 7 Pro (x86) key.

But I was going to put it on some of my family members' PCs if they wanted it.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #307: October 23, 2009, 04:24:25 PM »
Windows 7 installer was nice enough to tell me to deauthorize iTunes before continuing.

That's pretty cool.  I always forget to do that.  Thankfully I make backup images fairly regularly, so it's not too hard to juggle them if I need to deactivate after the fact.

Probably because it's just an enhancement and not a new OS.

Right, and XP was just an enhancement to 2000, every version of OSX since the initial release is just an enhancement, and every version of Ubuntu ever is just an enhancement (every 6 months baby!) :lol:  The correct answer was "probably because it's an incremental kernel upgrade, not a new kernel"

:thumbs:

Me, personally, only 2. One has Windows 7 on it (64 bit; in repair due to crappy display) and the other has Vista Enterprise (32 bit).

I have a valid Windows 7 Pro (x64) key and a valid Windows 7 Pro (x86) key.

But I was going to put it on some of my family members' PCs if they wanted it.

Up to you.  I've never tried to "max out" a single key, so I don't know if/when they'll cut you off.

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
« Reply #308: October 23, 2009, 04:29:53 PM »
random comment - Chief gets snippy when someone says something that could be considered a slight towards windows.

c'mon son. :thumbs:

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #309: October 23, 2009, 04:30:26 PM »

Right, and XP was just an enhancement to 2000, every version of OSX since the initial release is just an enhancement, and every version of Ubuntu ever is just an enhancement (every 6 months baby!) :lol:  The correct answer was "probably because it's an incremental kernel upgrade, not a new kernel"

It's officially Windows 6.1, not Windows 7.

Also, let me know when linux kernel 3.0 comes out - but 2.6 vs. 2.4 is a hell of a lot different.

Wait, which point am I arguing? :lmao:

Offline The Chief

« Reply #310: October 23, 2009, 04:39:02 PM »

Also, let me know when linux kernel 3.0 comes out - but 2.6 vs. 2.4 is a hell of a lot different.

Wait, which point am I arguing? :lmao:

Wow, awesome for you, you know how to use the winver command!  Guess you missed when I said (and I quote): "it's an incremental kernel upgrade, not a new kernel"

Come again?  "Windows 7" = marketing speak.  But I guess Linux wouldn't know anything about that since, y'know, they don't HAVE a market on the desktop :rimshot:

Um, There have been plenty of "new versions" of any number of Linux distros since the original release of the 2.6 kernel, champ.  I guess I should go around lamenting that they aren't really new OSes every chance I get, right? :roll:

random comment - Chief gets snippy when someone says something that could be considered a slight towards windows.

I stick up for Windows, yes.  Somebody's got to.  As far as getting snippy goes, I'm in no worse company than all the Linux and Mac hacks who can't seem to get through one waking day without making some kind of obtuse remark about the supposed inferiority of Windows and who then proceed to blame it on "M$" when shown the worldwide market share of major operating systems on the desktop.

PRE-EMPTIVE DISCLAIMER:

All of this relates to desktop OS, not server.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #311: October 23, 2009, 04:39:52 PM »
Chief or anyone else, have you tried out the new BitLocker feature in Windows 7?

Why is it not available in the Win 7 Professional version and only in ultimate/enterprise? Sounds like it would have been nice to have

Offline The Chief

« Reply #312: October 23, 2009, 04:41:16 PM »

PS, it's officially Windows 7.  The kernel is officially 6.1.  Let me know when Linux 2.6.xxxx comes out, k?

Offline The Chief

« Reply #313: October 23, 2009, 04:41:39 PM »
Chief or anyone else, have you tried out the new BitLocker feature in Windows 7?

Why is it not available in the Win 7 Professional version and only in ultimate/enterprise? Sounds like it would have been nice to have

It is, and would be.  Why they don't include it in Pro is beyond me.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #314: October 23, 2009, 04:42:30 PM »
PS, it's officially Windows 7.  The kernel is officially 6.1.  Let me know when Linux 2.6.xxxx comes out, k?

So the service packs are kernel patches? Were Windows 1,2,3 OS'es? You are blurring the lines when convenient between kernel and os to stir up trouble for no reason, after I said that I liked the installer.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #315: October 23, 2009, 04:47:30 PM »
So the service packs are kernel patches? Were Windows 1,2,3 OS'es? You are blurring the lines when convenient between kernel and os to stir up trouble for no reason, after I said that I liked the installer.

It wasn't me who blurred the line, you can thank Microsoft-haters everywhere and Apple's marketing department for that, but you're right about the other part.  Good job catching on  :stir:

And seriously, I prefer Windows for most non-server things, but I don't take any of this all that seriously.  No OS is the best at everything, and all of them are the best at something.  To each according to their needs :woop:

Offline blue911

« Reply #316: October 23, 2009, 04:53:41 PM »
It wasn't me who blurred the line, you can thank Microsoft-haters everywhere and Apple's marketing department for that, but you're right about the other part.  Good job catching on  :stir:

And seriously, I prefer Windows for most non-server things, but I don't take any of this all that seriously.  No OS is the best at everything, and all of them are the best at something.  To each according to their needs :woop:

So Karl Marx endorsed Windows?

Offline The Chief

« Reply #317: October 23, 2009, 04:55:41 PM »
So Karl Marx endorsed Windows?

Though I can only assume Marx would have preferred Linux.

Offline JMW IV

« Reply #318: October 23, 2009, 05:06:26 PM »
anyhow...

I'm looking into getting a cheap used Laptop and just installing whatever I want on it. I am fairly-computer literate, I imagine enough so to build my own computer from scratch, software-wise. if I don't know something, i know where to find it out. (come here, google search, ask my all-knowing computer-whiz dad)

the absolute cheapest laptops I've seen were at a pawn shop for 100 bucks. I'm fairly sure they are pieces of crap, but I did not examine them very closely..just stopped in on a whim and looked at the price tags.  I'm gonna look around.

basically, i just want a computer that I don't have to share with anyone(I share my desktop with my wife, and if I get a laptop, then the desktop will be all hers), and that I can take with me if I want.

I'm not going to be doing any heavy gaming or really graphic intensive stuff on it, any gaming beyond maybe a Facebook game or Browser-based Flash game I'll get a console for.

I'm basically just going to do:

Word Processing
Creating Invoices
Web Browsing
Posting on Message Boards/Facebook/Twitter
Email
downloading videos/watching videos on Hulu/Youtube
playing simple flash or facebook games.

and that's pretty much it.

realistically, just how powerful a laptop do I really need to accomplish this adequately?

if I buy a fresh computer with Windows 7 on it, I'll just stick with Windows 7. but if I buy a used one, I'm going to put Linux(Ubuntu) on it and build from scratch.

I'm good either way, I just know that with Ubuntu I won't have access to MediaGo, so I'll need to find some other way to manage PSP files if/when I buy a PSPgo. but I'll cross that bridge when I get to it, it's not important right now.

Offline JMW IV

« Reply #319: October 23, 2009, 05:09:08 PM »

As far as getting snippy goes, I'm in no worse company than all the Linux and Mac hacks who can't seem to get through one waking day without making some kind of obtuse remark about the supposed inferiority of Windows and who then proceed to blame it on "M$" when shown the worldwide market share of major operating systems on the desktop.

oh, I know this. I was just pointing out the obvious. when someone disses teh MS, you put your war paint on. :rofl:

just messing with you.

but why do Linux users have to be Hacks? :rofl:

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #320: October 23, 2009, 05:12:52 PM »
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16856172009

This is awesome. No HD, no OS, no RAM installed. Back in the day you could never get something like this. The ram is like 40 dollars. I want one.

Offline JMW IV

« Reply #321: October 23, 2009, 05:16:28 PM »
one thing I do despise though, is Apple fanboys. ugh, they piss me off.

they think that just because they own a Mac, and use an Iphone that they are 100% better/cooler than everyone in the general population.  totally intolerant of other people's choices of computer/OS/musicplayer/phone use.

I'm generalizing, yes. not all of them are like that.

but a good quantity, from what I have seen, look down on anyone who uses Windows  as if they are the scum of the earth because they haven't bought a Mac yet.  the haughty attitude i am talking about is exemplified in those ridiculously annoying "I'm a Mac" ads.

I've never used a Mac, and I never will.

call me petty, but it's not Apple's products that turn me off to Apple. Apple's products are probably awesome.  It's Apple's fanboys. I wish not to be associated with them in any feasible way. Yes, that's a petty reason to never touch a Mac or an Ipod. but i don't care.

they are the Yankees Fans of the Tech World. and I'm not wearing any Yankees gear.

I once asked a guy why I would want to switch to using a Mac, and he spend 30 minutes telling me everything that was wrong with Windows and Microsoft and Bill Gates, and nothing about what is right with Mac and Apple. annoying as hell and did nothing to convince me that I need to get a Mac.

no offense to the apple fanboys on the board. you guys are all cool in my book. its your buddies from elsewhere i don't like.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #322: October 23, 2009, 05:44:48 PM »
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16856172009

This is awesome. No HD, no OS, no RAM installed. Back in the day you could never get something like this. The ram is like 40 dollars. I want one.

I would caution against 10" netbooks.  Maybe I'm just being picky, but I find them intolerable for anything but brief intermittent use.  Screen and keyboard are both too small for me.

Of course if you have a spare monitor and keyboard to attach to one, that takes care of that, but the single-core Atom CPU that powers most of those things is going to struggle with higher quality flash/video.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #323: October 23, 2009, 05:47:49 PM »
Even if it came with no OS, I would consider the additional 80 bucks invested in this to be a vastly better choice than what PA posted.  And I'm not wearing warpaint here, just offering an honest opinion - http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=9548983&type=product&id=1218122295102

Not to mention you don't need to ship it, just walk into any Best Buy and grab one.  The fact that it comes with a license for Windows 7 Home Premium is just gravy.  Put Linux on it if you want to, who cares, it's a vastly better value than that netbook either way.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #324: October 23, 2009, 05:50:22 PM »
JMad you might help all of us (help you) if you answer this:

What's more important to you?  Bottom line price regardless of performance, or "bang for the buck"?

I just sold my brother's dual-core 15.6" 2GB RAM / 160 GB HDD laptop locally for $200 about 3 months ago, and it would blow any netbook out of the water.  I'm sure you could find something similar pretty easily.