Author Topic: Hardware/OS Geek Thread  (Read 53287 times)

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
Re: Hardware/OS Geek Thread
« Reply #275: October 22, 2009, 06:13:48 PM »
Now I never said I recommended Vista for business use, and I still wouldn't simply because 7 is the right choice for businesses finally migrating away from XP (a move that is by now LONG overdue).  Vista's good qualities simply didn't translate for the average over-the-hill-hardware change-o-phobic business environment.  With a few more years of hardware churn and performance increases in 7 itself, most anything still reasonably in use can now handle the upgrade just fine.  I've got 7 RC running on an old Dell SX280 (P4, 1GB RAM) at work and while it may not always be "faster" than XP in terms of sheer speed, it's definitely more responsive, especially when multitasking.

I'm not sure how Vista's IPv6 implementation has anything to do with home users though.  It isn't used unless something you are connecting to is using IPv6, otherwise it falls back to v4 transparently.  I actually always just disabled v6 personally because I didn't expect it to ever be in widespread use before Vista got the heave-ho.

I think I even beat Chief in migrating from XP to Vista for when I have to work with Windows.

Possibly.  I was more of a gamer then than I am now, so while I had Vista on my machine from RC onward, it was usually in a dual-boot with XP until early '08 or so when I had finally found solutions or workarounds for any remaining issues (some of which were admittedly very obscure and would not affect the vast majority of typical PC users).  I always thought Vista "felt" better than XP for General use, though.

The problem with your peripherals was they didn't work with Vista

Fixed.  Subtle, but fixed ;)  As I said before, blame the manufacturers of your peripherals.

That said, I've always advocated MS taking a more active role in providing generic/basic drivers via Windows Update, which they appear to be doing to a much greater extent with 7.

If 7 has the same problem, then it's a piece of crap.

By that logic, If I weigh 800 lbs and can't fit through your front door, your house is a piece of crap.

7 and Vista drivers are one and the same, by and large, so since everyone has now had almost 3 years to get their crap together, most peripherals will work fine with 7.