Author Topic: Thank You Lerner Family  (Read 3375 times)

Offline hammondsnats

Re: Thank You Lerner Family
« Reply #75: August 18, 2009, 01:26:20 PM »
I think the Devil Rays are the only team that did it more than one year in a row on a regular basis. I hope we don't end up negotiating with the number 1 overall pick every year.

that's what kasten said today. 

the only way for that to happen is to put out a better major league product.  hopefully we're on our way.  i'm tired of top draft picks. 

Offline thurdl01

« Reply #76: August 18, 2009, 01:27:45 PM »
Though I wouldn't mind seeing the team negotiate for the #1 pick just one more season.  Considering who it is and all.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #77: August 18, 2009, 01:28:03 PM »
It must be Minty's time of the month

yeah i guess so :?

No.  It's time to start raising expectations and not celebrate signings.  The Lerners did their job.  daveb said it best:

this is like the chris rock bit about bragging about taking care of your kids.

"the lerners (are) always braggin bout crap they sposed to do
'i take care of my kids'
you're supposed to you dumb muthafreaka"

going into tonight i didnt really give a freak if he signed. however, now i am mildly excited

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #78: August 18, 2009, 01:30:07 PM »
It must be Minty's time of the month

Yeah but that was funny as hell.  :lmao:

« Reply #79: August 18, 2009, 01:31:37 PM »
Lerners, please keep the check book open for some quality FA's this off season.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #80: August 18, 2009, 01:32:53 PM »
Lerners, please keep the check book open for some quality FA's this off season.

I'd like to think they are going to after this move/statement.  We'll see.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #81: August 18, 2009, 01:42:39 PM »
more crow for me and the LAC to eat:

Nats Set New Spending Record

Posted Aug. 18, 2009 11:04 am by Jim Callis
Filed under: Signings

We don’t have all the signing information for all 50 rounds yet, but we have enough to know that the Nationals have spent more money on bonuses than any team ever has in a single draft.

No. 1 overall pick Stephen Strasburg’s $7.5 million was a draft record in itself, and the Nationals also paid $1.6 million to No. 10 choice Drew Storen. Washington spent $1,769,500 million on bonuses for its picks in rounds 2-10, despite not signing fifth-rounder Miguel Pena.

The Nationals signed 12th-rounder Nathan Karns for $225,000 and 27th-rounder Brandon King for $100,000, bringing the total of their known bonus expenditures to $11,194,500. The Royals established the previous draft record last year, when they spent $11,148,000.

In additions to Karns and King, Washington signed at least 18 additional players after the 10th round for whom bonus information isn’t available.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/draft/?p=1760

:clap: the way it should be :clap:

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #82: August 18, 2009, 01:45:41 PM »
more crow for me and the LAC to eat:

:clap: the way it should be :clap:

Doesn't it stand to reason that if you break the bank by giving the #1 pick a record signing bonus, not to mention having 2 picks in the top 10, that you'll be shelling out quite a bit of money?

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #83: August 18, 2009, 01:49:06 PM »
Doesn't it stand to reason that if you break the bank by giving the #1 pick a record signing bonus, not to mention having 2 picks in the top 10, that you'll be shelling out quite a bit of money?

Exactly.

Let's not applaud them for doing what they're supposed to do according to "The Plan" they laid out for us. 

It's like your wife rewarding you for putting your pants on before you walked out the door.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #84: August 18, 2009, 01:50:03 PM »
Exactly.

Let's not applaud them for doing what they're supposed to do according to "The Plan" they laid out for us. 

It's like your wife rewarding you for putting your pants on before you walked out the door.

hey you're part of the LAC now!  STOP YOUR WHINING ABOUT THE LERNERS!  LEAVE THEM BE!!!!!!!!!!! 8)

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #85: August 18, 2009, 01:54:18 PM »
hey you're part of the LAC now!  STOP YOUR WHINING ABOUT THE LERNERS!  LEAVE THEM BE!!!!!!!!!!! 8)

First Dunn and now this. I'm freakin losing it!!!  :panic: :lmao:

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #86: August 18, 2009, 01:54:27 PM »

Exactly.

:clap:

Or like saying Mike Vick hasn't killed a dog today so we should praise him and pretend he wasn't a dog killer not too long ago.  :?

Offline shoeshineboy

• Walks Kill!! Walks Kill! Walks Kill!!!!
« Reply #87: August 18, 2009, 01:55:54 PM »

They didn't break any bank. In many ways, this deal helped both the Nats and Boras. Strasburg could probably have gotten a straight up bonus of 10-12 million on his own and kept all three years of arbitration. If he assumed he would eventually pan out to be a decent pitcher he would almost certainly get another 10M in 2013 on top of the initial bonus money. With this deal, he waits until 2014 for arbitration, so while the Nats take the risk with the extra cash up front, they get the reward if he pans out. And since it is a ML contract not all bonus, Boras gets his cut of the salary as a percentage of Strasburg's take home.

Yes, he's still a rich young kid, but this is a win-win all around. In terms of the money spent, the money they save not exercising the 10M option on Kearns plus what they didn't spend on Crow last season pretty much covers most of the cost of the next 4 years of Strasburg. Yes, it is a risk, but all baseball spending is. This is just the cost of doing business. They done good. And it doesn't really eat into the budget much at all.

Offline thurdl01

« Reply #88: August 18, 2009, 01:55:55 PM »
That's just under $2.1m for everyone signed after the first round.  That's 27 players by my count getting an average of about $77k each.  Sounds about right for the sheer number of players the Nats managed to get signed.  Slot from the 7th round onwards is no more than $150k.  Nats only went over slot for one player in the first six rounds, and one player from rounds 7+.  They drafted very frugally.  Potentially very smartly, I think there's some good upside in this draft.  But setting the all time record was a product of (a) the biggest signing ever and (b) two top-ten picks.

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #89: August 18, 2009, 01:57:07 PM »
Oh c'mon - that's not a worthwhile analogy.  Lerner is making an investment decision.  Michael Vick was involved with stupidity.  Vick let his ego get in the way of common sense.  There is nothing like that going on with the Lerners.

Or like saying Mike Vick hasn't killed a dog today so we should praise him and pretend he wasn't a dog killer not too long ago.  :?

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #90: August 18, 2009, 01:58:42 PM »
They didn't break any bank.

Come on, it's a figger of speech already. Of course it didn't put a dent in Lerner's checkbook but it was still a record signing bonus nonetheless.

Offline CatsEye

• Very weird season -Creepy - What....
« Reply #91: August 18, 2009, 01:59:20 PM »
 As the thread says ''thank you to the Lerner family" and Nats management for getting the job done !!

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

:woop: :woop: :woop: :woop: :woop:

:thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

:$$$:                                                       :popcorn:

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #92: August 18, 2009, 02:00:31 PM »
Oh c'mon - that's not a worthwhile analogy.  Lerner is making an investment decision.  Michael Vick was involved with stupidity.  Vick let his ego get in the way of common sense.  There is nothing like that going on with the Lerners.

Stupidity is a good way of describing the Lerners first 3 years of ownership.  ;)

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #93: August 18, 2009, 02:05:56 PM »

And believe me, I'm not schlepping the LAC bandwagon here, I'm just saying that they drafted the guy with the intent to sign him and they did it.  If anything, the signing should indicate a move away from the LAC ideals some hold so dearly (but I won't hold my breath).

This move is a step in the right direction but this franchise has a long way to go.  Just signing Strasburg doesn't accomplish crap.  He has to pitch and pitch effectively.  He needs to EARN that record-breaking money we gave him.  With the deal in the books, the only party that could potentially get harmed now is the Nationals.  Strasburg gets his money even if he blows out an elbow waving to the cameras at tomorrow's press conference. 

Get him to work and get him pitching at the major league level and make him into a fron end of the rotation type starter and THEN I'll celebrate.  Right now, I'm not giddy with joy because he's done NOTHING to improve this franchise yet.

Offline Obed_Marsh

« Reply #94: August 18, 2009, 02:11:09 PM »
Glad I'm part of the NAI (Nationals are Incompetent) crowd instead of the LAC crowd. Lot's of crow in this thread.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #95: August 18, 2009, 02:16:14 PM »
Glad I'm part of the NAI (Nationals are Incompetent) crowd instead of the LAC crowd. Lot's of crow in this thread.

haha the NAI are our 2nd cousins!!!

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #96: August 18, 2009, 02:17:14 PM »
 :funny:

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #97: August 18, 2009, 02:23:31 PM »
Wait, did the Nats join the NAIA? Strasburg will not be pleased.

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #98: August 18, 2009, 02:57:17 PM »
Stupidity is a good way of describing the Lerners first 3 years of ownership.  ;)

Prime Example: The Kearns contract

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #99: August 18, 2009, 03:02:12 PM »
Prime Example: The Kearns contract

Hindsight.  That was a backloaded contract for a player who had some promise at the time.  Nobody could have imagined what a leper he would become.  If you don't like that explanation, then just blame Bowden.