Author Topic: Consolidated RIZZO/GM DISCUSSION Thread  (Read 23468 times)

Offline NatsDad14

Re: Rizzo not the Man?
« Reply #175: August 02, 2009, 12:48:22 PM »
You've got a better idea?  Maybe Marerro hitting .200 at AA ball?

Image makes all the difference.  Face it we are viewed  as a second rate laughingstock of baseball.  Who wants to play for a team like that?  What GM is gonna offer you anything in a deal when they know you are needing just about anything?

We were going to be a bigger laughingstock if we kept all our veterans that helped us win 50 games this season. At least, The Pirates aren't a laughing stock anymore because they got rid of all the retreads and now have hope for their future.

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #176: August 02, 2009, 12:55:34 PM »
You've got a better idea?  Maybe Marerro hitting .200 at AA ball?

Image makes all the difference.  Face it we are viewed  as a second rate laughingstock of baseball.  Who wants to play for a team like that?  What GM is gonna offer you anything in a deal when they know you are needing just about anything?
You have no idea how Marrero will do at AA.

I wouldn't advocate just throwing him into the fire, though.  In fact, I think we should trade Marrero to an AL team.

I think the Nats should look to free agency.  Maybe they could get a platoon situation or something.  If there isn't a great FA first basemen out there, then they could look to a stopgap and keep doing that until something more attractive comes along.

Offline BerkeleyNat

« Reply #177: August 02, 2009, 01:23:38 PM »
You have no idea how Marrero will do at AA.

I wouldn't advocate just throwing him into the fire, though.  In fact, I think we should trade Marrero to an AL team.

I think the Nats should look to free agency.  Maybe they could get a platoon situation or something.  If there isn't a great FA first basemen out there, then they could look to a stopgap and keep doing that until something more attractive comes along.

They just said on the pregame show that Rizzo stated that the club would not be looking outside of the franchise for a first baseman in the offseason. It wouldn't shock me if Belliard ended up being our first baseman at some point.   :?

Offline Obed_Marsh

« Reply #178: August 02, 2009, 01:26:37 PM »
They just said on the pregame show that Rizzo stated that the club would not be looking outside of the franchise for a first baseman in the offseason.

AAARRRRRGGGGGHHHHHH! Fire the interim GM! AAARRRRRGGGGGHHHHHH!

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #179: August 02, 2009, 01:29:42 PM »
Acting general manager Mike Rizzo expects either Dunn or Willingham to hold the position in 2010. "I don't see it as one of our priorities," Rizzo said, dismissing the idea that his team needs a player there. "I see one of these guys on our current roster taking that position next year."

Now in his third season with Class A Potomac, Marrero, hitting .299, fourth-best in the Carolina League, is enjoying his best pro season, and Rizzo calls him "a middle-of-the-lineup guy." But, Washington plans to keep Marrero, who missed much of 2008 with a broken right fibula, in Class A for the rest of the season. Why the conservative approach?

Primarily, because he needs to work on his defense.

"He's right on pace," Rizzo said. "He's a 21-year-old at the high Class A level. Every other 21 year old this year is a junior in college; they'd be drafted this year and where would they go? They'd go to the New York Penn League or something like that. So if you look at it that way, he's at least two rungs ahead of the college juniors, and he's younger than all of them. So he's right on pace with his developmental curve, and I just don't want him to take the challenge of the Class AA level offensively while learning a new defensive position. I think it's counterproductive to his development, and I think it's unfair to him."

Offline BerkeleyNat

« Reply #180: August 02, 2009, 01:32:43 PM »
Using Dunn or Willingham means that we'll need another outfielder. I just don't have any faith in Dukes. Maybe he'll prove me wrong, but I'm not holding my breath.

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
« Reply #181: August 02, 2009, 01:39:18 PM »
better to need an OFer than a 1B at this point.

the Free Agent market for 1B is terrible, outside of NJ.

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #182: August 02, 2009, 01:51:46 PM »
I think we should sign Figgins (as a second baseman), one starter, a couple of relievers, and one or two bench players.

If the team gives up on Dukes (doubtful), Abreu would be a money #2 hitter for a couple of years.

I wanted us to try to get Hardy, but I don't think we'll be trading Guzman this offseason. I guess we could always move him to second.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #183: August 02, 2009, 02:26:33 PM »
I think a lot of people are underestimating Dunn's potential to be a solid if unspectacular 1B.  And if he manages to pull it off, it can only help his trade value next year.

Offline LetsGoNats

• We're Nat Gonna Take It!
« Reply #184: August 02, 2009, 02:47:37 PM »
Primarily, because he needs to work on his defense.

1.  He can't work on defense at AA?
2.  I've seen him play at Potomac and he's already better at 1B than hacks like Dimitri and Dunn.

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #185: August 02, 2009, 03:10:25 PM »
I think we should sign Figgins (as a second baseman), one starter, a couple of relievers, and one or two bench players.

If the team gives up on Dukes (doubtful), Abreu would be a money #2 hitter for a couple of years.

I wanted us to try to get Hardy, but I don't think we'll be trading Guzman this offseason. I guess we could always move him to second.

ronnynat for GM

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #186: August 02, 2009, 03:27:40 PM »
They should consider moving Guzman to 2B and seeing if they can somehow acquire a SS.

Offline blue911

« Reply #187: August 02, 2009, 05:14:55 PM »
I think a lot of people are underestimating Dunn's potential to be a solid if unspectacular 1B.  And if he manages to pull it off, it can only help his trade value next year.

Could he be any worse than Dmitri?

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #188: August 02, 2009, 05:40:06 PM »
Could he be any worse than Dmitri?

or belliard or LoDuca

the standard at first for this team isn't really that high

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #189: August 02, 2009, 10:24:47 PM »
^^^ guys my point is that I think he can be a LOT better than any of those guys, not simply "not as horrible."  I'm not claiming he'll ever be a gold glover at 1B (I just laughed bit even thinking about that line) but I do think he can be a lot less of a liability than he is in the OF.  As others have said he does a fine job picking balls in the dirt, and he's a nice big target for Zim and the rest of the IF.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #190: August 02, 2009, 11:40:15 PM »
^^^ guys my point is that I think he can be a LOT better than any of those guys, not simply "not as horrible."  I'm not claiming he'll ever be a gold glover at 1B (I just laughed bit even thinking about that line) but I do think he can be a lot less of a liability than he is in the OF.  As others have said he does a fine job picking balls in the dirt, and he's a nice big target for Zim and the rest of the IF.

if he can be even slightly below average with the glove, his bat more than makes up for it. He's basically Ryan Howard with a higher average and a better obp

Online Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
« Reply #191: August 03, 2009, 12:10:14 AM »

I really want a solid utility player for the IF who has a great glove and isn't God awful at bat. Someone along with lines of Omar Infante or Martin Prado. An infield based Willie Harris... Great glove, good team player.

I'm sick of watching the circus of nobodies in our middle infield. Just a revolving door that never stops.

Offline JMW IV

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=9356#

August 9, 2009

ON THE BEAT
Weekend Roundup

by John Perrotto

It would certainly be understandable if the Nationals were ready to pack it in by now. They have the worst record in the major leagues at 39-72. Their season has been turbulent from its start, with general manager Jim Bowden resigning on March 1 because of a scandal involving bonus skimming in the Dominican Republic that rocked the organization, and continuing on to when manager Manny Acta was fired after the final game before the All-Star break.

Normally, the dog days of August would mean the absolute worst part of the season for a team like the Nationals. Yet, they are playing with a renewed vigor. "Our attitude has changed and it’s a good sign," left-hander John Lannan said. "We’re finishing this year strong. We’re not giving up, which is a good sign for the rest of the year and going into next year."

Simply put, the Nationals refuse to be pushovers in the season’s final weeks. "Winning fixes a lot of things," first baseman Adam Dunn said. "Kick our record out. We’re having fun."

The record, of course, can’t be kicked out. As the great football philosopher Bill Parcells once said. "you are what your record says you are." However, the Nationals are showing some spark, having won seven in a row, and 11 of their last 15 games. That may not make much impact on this season, but assistant general manager and vice president of baseball operations Mike Rizzo feels the hot streak confirms his belief that the Nationals are not far away from being competitive. That is why he declined to trade Dunn and left fielder Josh Willingham at the July 31 non-waiver deadline despite getting heavy interest on both sluggers. "We are in a building process, not a rebuilding process," said Rizzo, who assumed the duties of general manager without the title when Bowden stepped down. "There is a difference. We don’t want to subtract from what we already have—we want add to it. This is a team that, in my opinion, is not far away from being a good, solid baseball team. We’ve got some good core players who we feel can win in the very near future."

The two players at the heart of that core are third baseman Ryan Zimmerman and catcher Jesus Flores, both 24. Zimmerman is 17th in the National League with a .306 EqA, while Flores seemed primed for a breakout year as he had a .309 EqA in 103 plate appearances before suffering a season-ending stress fracture in his right shoulder in May. Rizzo showed his belief in Willingham, third in the NL with .337 EqA, and Dunn, sixth with .327 mark, by not trading them, and his faith that shortstop Cristian Guzman (.264) can continue to contribute.

Rizzo also feels that center fielder and leadoff hitter Nyjer Morgan (.305) has become the team’s lynchpin since being acquired from the Pirates in a June 30 trade. "Nyjer’s been great on the field," Rizzo said. "There is no doubt in my mind he can steal 50 bases a season when healthy, and the scout’s eye will tell you he’s been as good as any center fielder in the game defensively this season and sabermetrics back that up. But that doesn’t tell the whole story about Nyjer. He’s just an incredibly upbeat guy. The first thing he said to me when I met him was, 'Hey, I’m going to make this trade look good for you.' He has transformed our whole clubhouse with his personality. He walked into our clubhouse and lifted the dark cloud that had been hanging over us all year with that smile of his."

What gives Rizzo and interim manager Jim Riggleman even more reason to smile is a starting rotation in which Lannan continues to emerge as the ace at 24 with a 4.1 SNLVAR. Rookies have combined to start 66 of 111 games this season. "Not only is our starting pitching young but it is talented," Riggleman said. "Anytime you have potentially good starting position, it gives you reason for hope. When I see the type of talented young areas we have, I can see us becoming good quicker than you might think if you just looked at our record this season."

The Nationals’ bullpen was beyond awful during the early part of the season but even that part of the team has settled down into at least a passable unit. "We’ve done a lot of shuffling there," Rizzo said. "None of the seven relievers we have started the season with are still with us. We’ve looked at a lot of different guys in a lot of different roles, and it’s been painful at times, but we’ve gotten beyond that and things are really solidifying."

The situation in the front office remains fluid, as the Nationals say they won’t make a decision on whether Rizzo will be promoted until after the season. Those close to the Nationals’ situation believe Rizzo will get the job if the decision is left to club president Stan Kasten. However, there is a feeling that the owners of the team, the Lerner family, may want to make a splash by bringing in both a big-name GM and manager. "The Lerners are very smart people and I know they will make the right decision for the long-term success of the franchise," Rizzo said. "I’ve been in the game 30 years and I’ve worked in every role in a front office that would prepare me to be a GM and I’ve basically been the general manager this season. I feel those experiences have prepared me for the next step and I’d very much like to continue on and see this franchise have success."

so whose back do you have? You riding with Kasten/Rizzo, or Lerners/"Big Name GM and Manager"?

Offline JMW IV

the lerners still don't get it.

if you want "big names" then bring in big name PLAYERS. not big name executives.

the Lerners are idiots.

Offline NatsDad14

I wasn't on the Rizzo bandwagon at the trade deadline, but I think he is right that the team could compete next year with a few free agency upgrades.

Offline hammondsnats

if you want "big names" then bring in big name PLAYERS. not big name executives.

the Lerners are idiots.

omg i could not say it any better than that.

just hire rizzo and rigglemania full-time ... then sign stud free agents in the offseason.

c'mon you cheap b-words ... sign some studs.

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
For now, I've got Rizzo and Kastens back. Rizzo has done very well so far as the "acting" gm. He's done more good than Bowden's ever done. The Lerners are VERY dumb if they think bringing in a new gm will fix things. Its the players, not the management that wins games (besides the MANAGER of the team).

They said they feel embarrassed by this team and the way they've been playing... SO GET MORE PLAYERS. NOT ORGANIZATION FIGURES. Are they dumb? Are they dense? Its the freaking players that make this team better with the help of the manager.

That last statement may seem alittle dumb because the GM BRINGS in the players but so far Rizzo has done an excellent job doing that.

Offline NatsDad14

the Lerners are idiots.

I think the Lerners might enter Angelos mode. They will finally spend money but on the wrong players (Belle, Gibbons, Bullpen arms, etc.)

Offline zoom

this gets more interesting as the streak continues.  With the team playing so much better, do you continue to use what is working or use the momentum to lure a big name manager? 

personally, while i am very happy for Riggleman and Nats recent success, i think i'd have Rizzo named GM and bring in a big name manager.  if there is a way to retain Riggleman with some sort of acknowledgment of his work as Manager, then i try to retain him.  However, i think that the team was so low under Manny* that simply a change has helped this team a ton.  who knows where a big time, proven manager can take this club.

* I was one of Manny's bigger supporters on this board, but facts are facts.  This is a completely different team after he left and playing better with a less talented roster (Johnson trade).

Offline sportsfan882

Rizzo must be named the real GM. please don't freak this up :bang: