Author Topic: Follow the Prospects: Eury Perez, CF  (Read 22562 times)

Offline Section214

Follow the Prospects: Eury Perez, CF
« Topic Start: July 14, 2009, 10:46:50 PM »
Ok, I understand that this kid is barely older than me and only in Gulf Coast but might as well get an early start to look out for this one. I have always been obsessed with fast leadoff hitters that can roam the OF and make an impact on both sides of the field. Look at how Nyjer has impacted the defense and the offense. Perez could be this guy.

He is an absolute burner from what I read and here are his numbers in the organization:

Turned 19 on May 30, 2009

Dominican Summer League - 218 AB .321 AVG .424 OBP 4 HR 44 RBI 95 TB and 28/34 on steal attempts.

Gulf Coast League - 35 AB .314 AVG .467 OBP 6/6 SBs 6 steals in 19 times on base 0 errors.

I know it is early but if he can play the field and run around the bases like Nyjer or Juan Pierre or in a perfect world Roger Bernadina, he is worth keeping an eye on.

Offline PatsNats28

Re: Follow the Prospects: Eury Perez, CF
« Reply #1: July 14, 2009, 11:25:16 PM »
speeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeed

Offline Glockypoo

« Reply #2: July 15, 2009, 09:24:44 AM »
He's the best position player we've produced from the DSL - easily.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #3: July 15, 2009, 10:17:16 AM »
I'll take the OBP, too.  Looks like he has very good plate discipline that is fantastic for a kid his age from the DR.  There's a saying, "you don't walk your way off island," but this kid is 72 BBs and 80 Ks in 512 PAs since 2007.  It's a small sample, but this year he has 8 BBs and only 4 Ks in his first 45 PAs, which is fantastic.  Has the makings of a classic leadoff hitter, if he keeps it up.  Hope he's not 23.

Offline Section214

« Reply #4: August 05, 2009, 02:36:18 PM »
Just as a quick update he has now hit 1 HR with 12 RBI in 98 AB to go along with a .337 AVG and 12 steals. He(like Nyjer :) ) has also not committed on error yet on the year in center field. Hopefully he keeps it up and joins Destin in Vermont soon...

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #5: August 05, 2009, 02:48:42 PM »
That's got to be some kind of culture shock, growing up in the DR and then suddenly finding youself in Vermont.

Offline JMUalumni

« Reply #6: August 05, 2009, 03:21:16 PM »
That's got to be some kind of culture shock, growing up in the DR and then suddenly finding youself in Vermont.

Yeah, it is always good to let the DSL guys adjust to the US first before throwing in the rigorous travel.  He will finish the year with GCL I am sure.  I'd be shocked if they bumped him up, especially with Hood, Higley, and Ramirez at Vermont. 

Perez is certainly an interesting prospect to watch in the future, though.

Offline wisefan11

• This is Nat Country
« Reply #7: August 05, 2009, 03:38:08 PM »
Trade bait, I say. We already have the grown-up version.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #8: August 05, 2009, 03:41:30 PM »
Trade bait, I say. We already have the grown-up version.
Who won't be around for a ton of years.  I'd say he's the back up plan if JMax or Berniadina don't pan out.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #9: August 05, 2009, 04:46:08 PM »
He's what, 19?  When Nyjer is 34, he'll be 24 and can take his place.  Looks like he has leadoff skills.

Offline Section214

« Reply #10: August 06, 2009, 01:30:07 PM »
A seamless transition from Nyjer to Eury would be beautiful and that is what I am hoping for. Although, like many, I am still waiting for Roger in the bigs...

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #11: August 07, 2009, 01:07:51 AM »
Ive given Bernadina some crap over the past year or two because hes been slobbered over by some (mainly SF) and it just made me dislike him even more. After his great success of a catch earlier this year that led to his injury I forgot that he was a player and not a thing of SF's :P. I am looking forward to him when he comes back healthy and see what he can do. I would like to have someone follow Morgans footsteps if he leaves or is still here. We need a type of CF like him for awhile.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #12: August 07, 2009, 09:00:31 AM »
Ive given Bernadina some crap over the past year or two because hes been slobbered over by some (mainly SF) and it just made me dislike him even more. After his great success of a catch earlier this year that led to his injury I forgot that he was a player and not a thing of SF's :P.

Everyone should consider your thought.  Just because Sportsfan, or AZ, or anyone gets a woody over a particular player(s) and slavishes undue praise on him, doesn't mean that one should turn on the player with venom.  After all, none of the players ask for the excessive hero worship.  It ain't their fault.

Offline blue911

« Reply #13: August 07, 2009, 09:14:46 AM »
Everyone should consider your thought.  Just because Sportsfan, or AZ, or anyone gets a woody over a particular player(s) and slavishes undue praise on him, doesn't mean that one should turn on the player with venom.  After all, none of the players ask for the excessive hero worship.  It ain't their fault.

Then why does Ryan Zimmerman charge $75 for his autograph?  :stir:

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #14: August 07, 2009, 10:23:52 AM »

His agents are dicks.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #15: August 07, 2009, 10:46:54 AM »

That's called cashing in on it, not asking for it (hero worship).

Offline PennSkinsFan

• DC Pro Sports Report
« Reply #16: August 12, 2009, 10:16:24 AM »
3 for 3 last night raising his average to .352

Offline CJames0569

« Reply #17: August 12, 2009, 10:29:17 AM »

That's pretty crappy, I hope he doesn't charge that to little kids.

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #18: August 12, 2009, 10:49:55 AM »
That's pretty crappy, I hope he doesn't charge that to little kids.

He's under contract so he gets that from everyone.

Offline CJames0569

« Reply #19: August 12, 2009, 11:42:51 AM »
He's under contract so he gets that from everyone.

So does he in turn have to pay that money to his agent? or does he keep it for himself?

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #20: August 12, 2009, 12:51:47 PM »
I've always said Zim was a merc, and I hold by that.  This isn't to say he's not a nice guy, but I still think when his "hedging my bets" 5-year contract runs out, he'll go wherever the money is.  I doubt he would have signed at all if not for his injury hampered '08 season and the lousy economy.  And there's nothing wrong with that.  I think that he simply puts ziMS, other endeavors, and his and his family's future financial security ahead of where he plays - as well he should.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #21: August 12, 2009, 12:53:41 PM »
I've always said Zim was a merc, and I hold by that.  This isn't to say he's not a nice guy, but I still think when his "hedging my bets" 5-year contract runs out, he'll go wherever the money is.  I doubt he would have signed at all if not for his injury hampered '08 season and the lousy economy.  And there's nothing wrong with that.  I think that he simply puts ziMS, other endeavors, and his and his family's future financial security ahead of where he plays - as well he should.
I fully expect that to happen too.  Hopefully we'll be a good team by then and the money will be here.

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #22: August 12, 2009, 12:55:19 PM »
So does he in turn have to pay that money to his agent? or does he keep it for himself?

When he's at public appearances including those sponsored by the Nats, he won't sign anything.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #23: August 12, 2009, 12:57:39 PM »
When Zim was drafted, they said he'd be the 3B for the next decade. 8 years is pretty close to a decade. Don't expect a contract extension to be automatic.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #24: August 12, 2009, 01:13:49 PM »
When Zim was drafted, they said he'd be the 3B for the next decade. 8 years is pretty close to a decade. Don't expect a contract extension to be automatic.

No one that was running anything important then is here now, so you don't even need to make that argument.