Author Topic: Airlines  (Read 1921 times)

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
Re: Airlines
« Reply #25: July 06, 2009, 06:10:44 PM »
I'll be flying into San Diego and staying a couple days there (for nats games) ... then driving up to Long Beach/Los Angeles for a few days ... then flying into San Fran from LAX for the MD-Cal game ... then flying from San Fran to DC. 

Yeah not having on flight entertainment access will suck (other than my laptop/ipod), but not having to land, get off the plane, track down my bag, get a bite to eat, kill time and then hop a new plane is a plus ... especially when it's only 50 extra bucks we're talking about.

All airlines check your bag all the way through - would never have to pick it up unless you are changing to an airline that didn't play nice with the previous one.

But as I said, if you do check a bag, the price difference become 25 bucks. Then you decide if your time saved by the direct flight is worth 25 bucks.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #26: July 06, 2009, 06:21:01 PM »
All airlines check your bag all the way through - would never have to pick it up unless you are changing to an airline that didn't play nice with the previous one.

But as I said, if you do check a bag, the price difference become 25 bucks. Then you decide if your time saved by the direct flight is worth 25 bucks.

good point, damn NLF i owe you a beer for all the advice.

my mom is saying go the non-stop route.  i don't take a lot of vacation and why not get there as soon as possible without any of the hassles.  i don't care about price - i'd do jetblue/virgin - i think at this point the thing that attracts me the most is the non-stop factor.  it's hard to find non-stop DC > San Diego.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #27: July 06, 2009, 06:46:05 PM »
good point, darn NLF i owe you a beer for all the advice.

my mom is saying go the non-stop route.  i don't take a lot of vacation and why not get there as soon as possible without any of the hassles.  i don't care about price - i'd do jetblue/virgin - i think at this point the thing that attracts me the most is the non-stop factor.  it's hard to find non-stop DC > San Diego.

No problem, hammonds. I travel lots and I really enjoy the planning of routes, hotels, car rentals, etc. Finding the bargains is the best part.

Nonstop is the best - when I have to change, I make sure I know how I can be re-routed when I'm inevitably stuck somewhere awful like Philly or Detroit.

EDIT: Realized that you will totally blame me if your flight sucks :rofl: My wife swears up and down by Southwest, you should be fine. I do really like their non-stop flights between non-traditional hub cities.

Offline Dave B

« Reply #28: July 06, 2009, 08:38:52 PM »
i'm a big non stop fan (partiularly for leisure travel). if i get dicked over for work, whatever, its just another day per diem.  though of your choices for stops, i'd pick phoenix because they have less of a chance of t-storms.  i havent been personally stuck anywhere in my work travels through dallas and atl, but i've gotten out just in time and people i know who were on the flight after mine have been screwed. once i clicked over on the "other" tab on my work travel system and stumbled upon phoenix. even though it was cheaper i had to justify why i wanted to use it. it was flying at a time more conducive to working and added a secondary reason of lack of inclement weather. someone else went through ATL at the same time and was f'd. that was the smartest i have ever felt

Offline Dave B

« Reply #29: July 06, 2009, 08:42:16 PM »
If you're going to SD, why stop in LA where the connection will be shorter and you could probably drive it in just as much time?  Never done Charlotte, ATL or PHX.  I'd say go with the non-stop too.

for some reason, going to tucson from DC via a 25 minute flight from phoenix is just cheaper than buying a ticket to phoenix and driving less than 2 hours

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #30: July 06, 2009, 08:43:10 PM »
i'm a big non stop fan (partiularly for leisure travel). if i get dicked over for work, whatever, its just another day per diem.  though of your choices for stops, i'd pick phoenix because they have less of a chance of t-storms.  i havent been personally stuck anywhere in my work travels through dallas and atl, but i've gotten out just in time and people i know who were on the flight after mine have been screwed. once i clicked over on the "other" tab on my work travel system and stumbled upon phoenix. even though it was cheaper i had to justify why i wanted to use it. it was flying at a time more conducive to working and added a secondary reason of lack of inclement weather. someone else went through ATL at the same time and was f'd. that was the smartest i have ever felt

Atlanta is the busiest airport in the world. Phoenix, not so much. USAir has another western hub in Vegas. Good call.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #31: July 06, 2009, 10:18:47 PM »
for some reason, going to tucson from DC via a 25 minute flight from phoenix is just cheaper than buying a ticket to phoenix and driving less than 2 hours
Really?  That's bizarre.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #32: July 07, 2009, 12:07:25 AM »

As for the others, stay away from the Dallas change (that's American), and the Chicago (so many delays out of O'Hare).

what's wrong with the dallas (AA) option?  it's a 40-minute connection/layover in dallas fort worth.  and you said they would take care of my bag?  (meaning i wouldn't have to worry about picking up my bag and running over to the next gate to hop on the next plane)

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #33: July 07, 2009, 06:31:43 AM »

Haven't tried it - but BWI-San Diego should be 90 bucks one way if you leave after Sept. 9 and travel Mon. thru Thurs.

http://www.blogsouthwest.com/blog/it%E2%80%99s-on-southwest-airlines-offers-amazing-30-60-90-fare-sale

I wouldn't fly American again if I could possibly avoid it - horrible service, no frills at all, they don't play nice with other airlines - and a 40 minute layover is awfully short since you have to be on board the next plane 20 minutes before takeoff.

I got stuck in Dallas overnight once and American put us up in the Shoney's Inn. I was afraid the bed would be made of bacon.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #34: July 08, 2009, 12:31:33 PM »
Since posting Youtube clips appears to be above my skill level...

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #35: July 08, 2009, 12:49:19 PM »

Hilarious! Delta allows them as carryon:

@DeltaAirLines: changed the carry-on policy so you can bring your guitars on-board. Also looking into some volume knobs that go up to eleven http://tinyurl...

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #36: July 08, 2009, 12:52:01 PM »
Hilarious! Delta allows them as carryon:
Yeah, I've been on other airlines that allow that too.  United is particularly bad though.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #37: July 08, 2009, 12:59:00 PM »
wow got a great deal.  leaving saturday last weekend of august - flying out @ 7ish am, stopping in milwaukee for a layover (don't have to get off the flight it's the same plane heading to san diego ... for just about 30 minutes or so) then i arrive in san diego at 1030ish or something.  got an amazing deal too. 

the lerner family would be proud 8)

thanks for your help all.  now i'm working on my flight back from san fran to bwi or dulles.

Offline Dave B

« Reply #38: July 08, 2009, 03:32:50 PM »

I dont have the attention span for 4:36 of country music

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #39: July 08, 2009, 03:52:05 PM »
haha dave b i love your sig

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #40: July 08, 2009, 06:57:02 PM »
Ugh - Continental doesn't give minimum 500 miles per leg anymore.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #41: July 08, 2009, 09:35:40 PM »
Wow, I left the house yesterday at 3:15pm to catch a routine United flight to Boston, and lo and behold, I got to my hotel at 1:00 a.m.!  A steam locomotive would have been faster.   

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #42: July 17, 2009, 12:09:42 PM »
Airtran on the flight out (layover - don't have to get off the plane) on that saturday morning.

then the next week on friday - hitting up virgin america from LAX to SF ... few days later ... SF to Dulles on virgin.  :clap:

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #43: July 17, 2009, 12:20:06 PM »
Airtran on the flight out (layover - don't have to get off the plane) on that saturday morning.

then the next week on friday - hitting up virgin america from LAX to SF ... few days later ... SF to Dulles on virgin.  :clap:

Oh yeah Airtran uses BWI as a focus airport - nice

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #44: July 17, 2009, 12:22:59 PM »
Oh yeah Airtran uses BWI as a focus airport - nice

thanks for all your help.  i'm excited b/c Airtran has XM radio which is a nice perk and I'll have a new iPod by then so I can watch whatever.  And Virgin on the way back - tv and what not.  All in all, my total is 300 something for three flights BWI > SD ... LAX > SF ... SF > Dulles

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #45: July 17, 2009, 12:27:47 PM »
thanks for all your help.  i'm excited b/c Airtran has XM radio which is a nice perk and I'll have a new iPod by then so I can watch whatever.  And Virgin on the way back - tv and what not.  All in all, my total is 300 something for three flights BWI > SD ... LAX > SF ... SF > Dulles

MARC FTL unfortunately, but yeah Airtan has been rock-solid since the change from Valujet - when they stopped using ATL as a hub and added focus cities, they became a good option

The Dulles Metrobus is pretty nice and convenient, actually