Author Topic: Ps2 outsellin xbox 360  (Read 2382 times)

Offline metssuck

• Werth on a roll!!!!
Ps2 outsellin xbox 360
« Topic Start: July 03, 2006, 05:49:52 PM »
that system been out for how long??  it could be the ridiculously high price or maybe its how strong ps2 is compared to xbox....

http://playstation.about.com/b/a/257719.htm

PS2 outsells Xbox 360 - not a good sign for team Microsoft
As we head into the summer gaming slump in which you, the gaming public, decide to actually open the door and see what's out there, let's take a look at how videogame hardware has been selling. I was shocked by them numbers, and think you may be too.

May's US numbers worked out as follows:

* PS2: 232,000 units sold
* Xbox 360: 221,000
* PSP: 159,659
* DS: 145,930
* GCN: 33,000
* Xbox: 26,000

In Japan, the PS2 did outsell the Xbox 360 as well, but the Nintendo DS Lite laid the smack-down on all other gaming hardware:

* DS Lite: 698,112 (that's a TON of gaming machines!)
* PSP: 116,575
* PS2 93,599
* DS: 48,889
* Xbox 360: 6,109 (ouch)
* GCN: 4,696
* Xbox: 108

The numbers aren't good for Microsoft in either country. In America, to be outsold by a previous generation system does not speak well of your market presence, especially in light of Sony's PS3 only being five months away. The point of releasing a system earlier than another is to get a head start. Right now, the Xbox 360 can't even outsell the PS2, much less the soon to be released PS3.

Scarier yet are the Japanese numbers. If the Xbox 360 can't get a foothold in Japan, there's no way they will ever unseat Sony from the king of the console throne. Even if the Xbox 360 can manage to eek by the PS3 in the US, Asia is half of the gaming market, and Microsoft has practically zero presence there.

So Sony, you're in a good place. Do us all a favor, and don't drop the ball this November by not having enough units available, please.

gozimm

Ps2 outsellin xbox 360
« Reply #1: July 03, 2006, 05:54:28 PM »
How in the world did almost 700,000 Nintendo DS lites get sold in Japan.  That is absoluteely ridiculous.

Offline metssuck

• Werth on a roll!!!!
Ps2 outsellin xbox 360
« Reply #2: July 03, 2006, 05:56:34 PM »
Quote from: "gozimm"
How in the world did almost 700,000 Nintendo DS lites get sold in Japan.  That is absoluteely ridiculous.

From what i know or heard, Nintendo(products) has always been big in Japan

Offline UMDNats

Ps2 outsellin xbox 360
« Reply #3: July 03, 2006, 09:02:31 PM »
It's so funny how people talk about how the ps2 sells better and that Sony will win the console war..blah..blah.
Microsoft messed up on the release by not having a lot of units or any good games but this summer/fall tons of new and better games are coming out.

As long as I'm happy with my system, I don't care who is outselling what. Oh, and btw, I don't think anyone is expecting 360 to sell in Japan. They just started working with Japanese developers on Japanese kind of games. It's not like 360 went in thinking they were going to sell in Japan.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
Ps2 outsellin xbox 360
« Reply #4: July 04, 2006, 12:08:33 PM »
If PS3 doesn't get the price down and features up, it won't matter how many PS2's are selling.  MS is doing just fine with the 360 from what I've heard, and as someone else mentioned, why should they care if they're being outsold by a last-gen console?  They're making money and setting a framework for developers to make lots of great games for the platform.  This isn't a one-console world anymore anyway...  a lot of people will probably have 360 and PS3 eventually, and possibly even the new Nintendo console as well (the Wii :lol: )

Myself, I'm a PC guy...  haven't owned a console since the N64 (and haven't owned a good console since the Super NES...  ah those were the days)

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
Ps2 outsellin xbox 360
« Reply #5: July 07, 2006, 09:44:17 AM »
That's pretty scary.

But I will say that as an owner of the XBox360, I love the system but hate the games that have come out for it so far.  

Madden 2006 sucked
Tiger Woods 2006 sucked
MLB 2k6 is tolerable but not good
Call of Duty 2 ROCKS
Condemned was fun for about 2 hours and then got old really quickly

I'm also not big on online play so I have to say that I'm disappointed in the fact that most games are being marketed for online play nowadays.   When I play a game with others, I like to complete missions in a teamwork sort of environment and not play against each other in a winner-take-all setting.  Most games don't seem to be capable of online campaigns except for COD2.  And I HATE online sports video games.

I've already put $25 on Madden 2007.  It better be good.....

Offline UMDNats

Ps2 outsellin xbox 360
« Reply #6: July 07, 2006, 12:15:01 PM »
Minty, if you want a good game, go get GRAW. Everyone loves that.

And if I were you I would buy NCAA when it comes out of the 18th. That game could be the best game to come out for 360 since launch and it looks AMAZING.

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
Ps2 outsellin xbox 360
« Reply #7: July 07, 2006, 07:45:25 PM »
Quote from: "Nats19"
Minty, if you want a good game, go get GRAW. Everyone loves that.

And if I were you I would buy NCAA when it comes out of the 18th. That game could be the best game to come out for 360 since launch and it looks AMAZING.

add Prey to that list of games to get.

starting in August, the 360 is going to see a LOT of good new games released. Ninety-Nine Nights, Madden, NCAA, Enchanted Arms ( :shock: ), etc.

and FEAR comes out in November.  FEAR, if the Port is done well, will be THE best FPS on ANY Xbox Console. period.  that includes both Halos.  mark my words.

the only thing that can hold F.E.A.R. back from being what I said it will be, is a sloppy job of Porting it to the 360.

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
Ps2 outsellin xbox 360
« Reply #8: July 07, 2006, 07:46:23 PM »
don't forget to consider the amount of re-buys there are for pS2.  PS2s are notorious for breaking and needing to be replaced. moreso than any other system out there.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
Ps2 outsellin xbox 360
« Reply #9: July 10, 2006, 12:50:05 PM »
Here's my issue.  I am big into sports games.  I love them.  And here are the specs I look for in sprts games for my maximum enjoyment:

1.  Player/Team creation.  Imperative.  I love to create players and teams and put them in the league.  One of the things about Madden that I love is that I can create 32 teams and make my own entire league.

2.  Mini games.  Tiger Woods 2004 had the BEST mini-games.  Target practice, par 3 challenges, etc.

3.  Depth of Difficulty Customization.  I love the sliders on MLB 2k6 and the ways that they affect the games.  

Beyond that, bells and whistles are nce, but I'd rather have the better gameplay.

For other games:  As a general rule, I ike realistic feel in my FPSs.  I loved the Medal of Honor series.  Some of the James Bond games were fun ("Nightfire" was the best in my opinion).  I like to have a bunch of different styles to play within one game.  One level of "RAMBO" where you just run around and shoot stuff and other levels where all you do is snipe.  I hated the Halo series strictly because it was sci-fi.  Not big into it.

But my biggest pet peave is that most games are getting away from the split-screen co-op mode and are relying on online play to go co-op.  And I genuinely HATE online play because you always end up with some 13 year-old kid who does nothing but play video games all day ruining your experience.

The other games I like are RPG games, but they seem to be best on the PC and not on any of the consoles.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
Ps2 outsellin xbox 360
« Reply #10: July 10, 2006, 01:14:02 PM »
At least consoles still have Co-op.  Co-op has long been dead for PC FPS games :(

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
Ps2 outsellin xbox 360
« Reply #11: July 10, 2006, 02:14:50 PM »
Quote from: "The Chief"
At least consoles still have Co-op.  Co-op has long been dead for PC FPS games :(

Actually, the co-op has disappeared for the XBox360 unless you play online.  Every game has a co-op mode, but you have to have XBox Live to play the co-op mode.

It's maddening I tell you, MADDENING!!!!!

Offline LetsGoNats

• We're Nat Gonna Take It!
Ps2 outsellin xbox 360
« Reply #12: July 30, 2006, 10:41:14 AM »
I recommend not getting NCAA Football 07 for XBOX 360.  I picked it up on the day it came out & was pretty disappointed.  The graphics were tremendous, but the dynasty mode & presentation were circa 1998.  I actually took it back & traded it in for a copy for original XBOX.  Graphics aren't as good, but it's more fun to play & has more depth.

I got my 360 back in April and, while I think it is a tremendous system, I've been pretty disappointed in most of the games.  GRAW is great as JMad says.  The sports games (which are my favorite) aren't very good so far.  I got MLB 2k6 and didn't like it in the least.   I ended out getting my PS2 out of the mothballs & buying MLB 06: The Show and like it MUCH better.

Here's hoping that EA gets it right for Madden 2007 on the 360.

Offline 2k6nats

• Through Fick and Zim
Ps2 outsellin xbox 360
« Reply #13: July 30, 2006, 12:24:34 PM »
Ok, but lets not undermine the fact that 360's are WAY better than PS2's.