Author Topic: Nationals @ Yankees, Game 3  (Read 27000 times)

Offline JMUalumni

Re: Nationals @ Yankees, Game 3
« Reply #125: June 18, 2009, 04:25:01 PM »
Jesus Colome just threw me a ball. Detwiler also did a few minutes ago but I choked and some  dbag Yanks fan got it.

How is it looking there?

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #126: June 18, 2009, 04:25:51 PM »
Don't be a dick dude.  Just because Soccer isn't huge doesn't mean it hasn't gained popularity.

soccer is a great youth sport, but after that kids move on to other, more popular professional sports. the MLS is a niche league, moreso than the NHL (by a lot). the champions league is very popular across the atlantic obviously and has a lot of fans here as well

nothing will take the NFL down, it's too popular. most american sport out there; made in america, american players, etc. it screams america

« Reply #127: June 18, 2009, 04:26:35 PM »
Jesus Colome just threw me a ball.

You threw it back, right?

Speaking of Detwiler, I was cleaning out a drawer last night and I came upon a mint condition Ross Detwiler autographed Team USA baseball card I forgot I had. It was Christmas came early or something. :)

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #128: June 18, 2009, 04:27:31 PM »
hopefully they can get this game in, i'll be off work in a little bit and would love to watch the game with a beer.  although i'm still feeling good from last night's win, so i would be okay with carrying that high over to tomorrow.
I wanted to watch Joba vs the Nats, hometown conncection and all.  I'm leaving for the CWS in about half an hour so if they play it, I'm probably gonna miss it. :(

Offline Roarin Storen

• #teamlocke
« Reply #129: June 18, 2009, 04:27:59 PM »
How is it looking there?

No rain for the past 45 at least.

« Reply #130: June 18, 2009, 04:28:27 PM »
nothing will take the NFL down, it's too popular. most american sport out there; made in america, american players, etc. it screams america

That is sort of funny. They said the same thing about baseball once.

Offline Roarin Storen

• #teamlocke
« Reply #131: June 18, 2009, 04:30:33 PM »
All the Nats are watching the Blue Jays/Phillies game.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #132: June 18, 2009, 04:30:44 PM »
I completely rest my case.
I didn't realize you were such a big soccer fan, NOTLD. :rofl:
Don't be a dick dude.  Just because Soccer isn't huge doesn't mean it hasn't gained popularity.
like spider posted, people have been saying that for 30 years. I'd argue soccer is less popular in the US now than it was 10 years ago. Hispanics, euros, and a very small percent of US Americans watch it.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #133: June 18, 2009, 04:32:19 PM »

I think that we'll both be dead before Soccer surpasses football in America unless one or both sports change radically.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #134: June 18, 2009, 04:33:36 PM »

99.9% of the players in the NFL played college football, and many of those players played for division-1 schools. and the majority of those players are american. there's less than 50 players in the whole league from outside the states (if i had to guestimate)

baseball was much easier to internationalize, but the NFL really can't be. do you see dominican kids jumping over to play in the nfl?  how about venezuela, japan, cuba, or any of the other good baseball countries?

the NFL was american-made and is played by american players who come up through a minor league that is viewed by the entire country

i loved playing soccer and the sport is much more international than football, but in the united states the NFL will reign supreme unless something totally drastic happens

Offline The Chief

« Reply #135: June 18, 2009, 04:34:01 PM »
I didn't realize you were such a big soccer fan, NOTLD. :rofl:

You were just saying what a beast he was a few days ago, aren't you going to back your boy? ;) :stir:

I'd argue soccer is less popular in the US now than it was 10 years ago. Hispanics, euros, and a very small percent of US Americans watch it.

I wouldn't agree with that but then I'm just shooting from the hip so I fully admit I could be wrong.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #136: June 18, 2009, 04:35:46 PM »
B34ST MODE (the artist formerly known as Air Zimmerman aka AZ  :az: is also at this game, by his prior announcement.  That explains the extreme wetness.

(Image removed from quote.)

I'm actually dying

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #137: June 18, 2009, 04:38:01 PM »

Was baseball ever really as popular on a national level as the NFL is today? And I do mean on a truly national level. In the so-called "Golden Era" of Major League Baseball, which I generally see described as being roughly from the end of World War II until the Dodgers and Giants folded after the 1957 season, it would surely be debatable to what degree either baseball OR the NFL was truly a "national sport." Baseball had no teams west of St. Louis and many of baseball's cities still had two local teams throughout this era (St. Louis with the Browns and Cardinals, Chicago with the Sox and the Cubs, Philadelphia with the A's and the Phillies, New York with the Dodgers, Yankees, and Giants, Boston with the Braves and the Red Sox). Football never really began its ascendancy as a national sport until the 1960s with the rise of televised football. I think there's a fair argument that the sports marketplace changed so profoundly with, most importantly, the ascendancy of television and, secondly, the nationwide expansion of the professional leagues (made possible by the advent of jet aircraft) that it's impossible to compare the popularity of, and marketplace for, pro sports prior to roughly 1960 with what's come later.

I think there's also a fair argument that with the rise of cable television and the Internet, and the concomitant rise of 24-7 sports coverage and the ever-growing number of outlets for sports coverage, there's far more room for many more sports to succeed than there ever used to be. Back in the days when you had three major TV networks plus a PBS channel there simply wasn't room for all the sports we see today. The rise of cable TV, and the debut of sports networks, to some degree fueled the growth of additional sports because the new channels needed something to cover. (Anyone else remember how for quite a few years ESPN had a morning show covering Wall Street because there simply wasn't enough sports programming to fill the whole day?) Would Arena Football, for example, have been even remotely imaginable back in the days when there were just the three broadcast networks?

Let me hasten to say that I'm not disagreeing with your proposition that, as a theoretical matter, it's certainly possible for the national taste in sports to change. College football used to be far more popular than the NFL and I think it's fair to say that's changed. Baseball once got far more attention than football and that's changed too. But I think the marketplace for sports is now so utterly different from what it was back then that it's hard to compare those days to now.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #138: June 18, 2009, 04:38:33 PM »
hahahahahah Dukes is getting day off today - that's so classic

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #139: June 18, 2009, 04:40:16 PM »
Tons of Nats fans here by the way, very surprising! No rain for a while, I wonder why the tarp is still on.

that's awesome.  give 'em hell nats fans!!!

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #140: June 18, 2009, 04:42:13 PM »
that's awesome.  give 'em hell nats fans!!!
One nice win and they come crawling out of the woodwork...

Offline PatsNats28

« Reply #141: June 18, 2009, 04:43:33 PM »
hahahahahah Dukes is getting day off today - that's so classic

Manny Acta might need some extra security today... AZ may be gunning for him :wink:

Offline Galah

• 2016 - the year that everything changed, again.
« Reply #142: June 18, 2009, 04:45:01 PM »
One nice win and they come crawling out of the woodwork...

Hey, I resemble that remark....sure wish I was there, I haven't been to a game since May 21st....I think I'm in peanut withdrawal.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #143: June 18, 2009, 04:46:00 PM »
Hey, I resemble that remark....sure wish I was there, I haven't been to a game since May 21st....I think I'm in peanut withdrawal.

Your seats wouldn't be nearly as posh there :rofl: (Can you tell I'm jealous?)

Offline DC_Bucs

« Reply #144: June 18, 2009, 04:46:38 PM »
Does someone know what the longest rain delay in the history of the league is, because pretty soon this will be approaching it

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #145: June 18, 2009, 04:47:45 PM »
I wish I was there too...I've yet to make it to a Nats game in person.  [fingerscrossed]going to the series in St. Louis[/fingerscrossed]

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #146: June 18, 2009, 04:48:34 PM »
I wish I was there too...I've yet to make it to a Nats game in person.  [fingerscrossed]going to the series in St. Louis[/fingerscrossed]

Talk about surrounded by the enemy - I hate that they are called the "smartest fans in baseball" - no one cares who your daddy is, Joe Buck.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #147: June 18, 2009, 04:49:36 PM »
WNFF - the smartest (and looniest) fans in baseball

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #148: June 18, 2009, 04:52:15 PM »
Does someone know what the longest rain delay in the history of the league is, because pretty soon this will be approaching it
Well...technically we're still in a rain delay with Houston, right? So that would be a 4 month rain delay.  The White Sox and Rangers had a 7 1/2 hour rain delay in 1990 before the game was postponed.  We're just approaching 4 hours now.  We've got a while to go.

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #149: June 18, 2009, 04:52:49 PM »
1990.  A 7 1/2 hour rain delay, White Sox vs Rangers.