Author Topic: Nationals @ Yankees, Game 1  (Read 23868 times)

Offline hammondsnats

Re: Nationals @ Yankees, Game 1
« Reply #25: June 16, 2009, 03:43:04 PM »
They are the only team currently that anything but a World Series victory makes their season a complete failure. With that roster and that payroll-- they don't end up winning the whole thing, then yeah, they are a joke and will be. 

Yeah, bleeding out money has really gotten them a lot of rings these past eight years.

again nobody is saying spending automatically makes you a winner (look @ yankees not getting into playoffs last year, look @ marlins having success w/ young guys).  but more than likely, the higher the payroll the higher the chances are of being competitive.  we're low in the payroll ranks and lowest on food chain of being competitive.  the yankees year in and year out are competitors.  the marlins were competitive b/c they had young nucleus mix (better than our youngsters) with solid veterans (also good coaching). 

imo, i'd much rather have what the yankees have than what we have. 

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #26: June 16, 2009, 03:44:20 PM »
I have my doubts that they will be in the playoffs. I think Sox adn Rays finish 1,2 in the AL East. The Rays have the best run differential in baseball- over a season, that will translate into wins, and the red sox have a much better rotation and bullpen. This yankees team seems to be too full of past their prime over paid prima donnas

i don't know they have been playing very well recently (aside from the sawx series).  the rays offense still has their fair share of holes.  i love their pitching though.  the AL East race - sawx/yanks/rays is gonna be fun to watch.

Online blue911

« Reply #27: June 16, 2009, 03:49:54 PM »
I have my doubts that they will be in the playoffs. I think Sox adn Rays finish 1,2 in the AL East. The Rays have the best run differential in baseball- over a season, that will translate into wins, and the red sox have a much better rotation and bullpen. This yankees team seems to be too full of past their prime over paid prima donnas

I think you're right. The game is still pitching & defense, two things that aren't part of the current Yankee roster.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #28: June 16, 2009, 04:01:33 PM »
my god i woke up this morning and the first thing i thought was that martis is going to get shelled tonight.  hopefully i'm wrong. 

and how do austin kearns/manny acta/joel hanrahan/jesus colome still have jobs?

« Reply #29: June 16, 2009, 04:04:07 PM »

How can you ask that same question 30 times a day?

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #30: June 16, 2009, 04:10:25 PM »
How can you ask that same question 30 times a day?

« Reply #31: June 16, 2009, 04:11:16 PM »

I'm sure the answer will come to you if you ask it one more time. :lol:

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #32: June 16, 2009, 04:11:29 PM »
I'm sure the answer will come to you if you ask it one more time. :lol:

Online blue911

« Reply #33: June 16, 2009, 04:13:14 PM »
You know you suck when people don't nag about you losing playing time to Corey Patterson.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #34: June 16, 2009, 04:14:09 PM »
We'll be right in this game and get a good performance from Martis for about 5, maybe 6 innings.  The offense will struggle to score but we'll have the lead going into the 7th, maybe 8th and give up a couple of cheapies to blow it late.  Tomorrow we'll get shelled.  Thursday's a crap shoot. That seems to be the pattern of late.

Online blue911

« Reply #35: June 16, 2009, 04:16:03 PM »
We'll be right in this game and get a good performance from Martis for about 5, maybe 6 innings.  The offense will struggle to score but we'll have the lead going into the 7th, maybe 8th and give up a couple of cheapies to blow it late.  Tomorrow we'll get shelled.  Thursday's a crap shoot. That seems to be the pattern of late.

Thursday it'll be errors, both mental & physical.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #36: June 16, 2009, 04:22:35 PM »
You know you suck when people don't nag about you losing playing time to Corey Patterson.

hahahahahaha :clap:

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #37: June 16, 2009, 04:23:32 PM »

we have our best starter - John Lannan - going tomorrow against Wang ... that should be our best chance to win a game. 

Online blue911

« Reply #38: June 16, 2009, 04:27:50 PM »
we have our best starter - John Lannan - going tomorrow against Wang ... that should be our best chance to win a game. 

Wang has an ERA above 20, we don't stand a chance.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #39: June 16, 2009, 04:28:20 PM »
Wang has an ERA above 20, we don't stand a chance.

hahahaha true.  you're on point today. 

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #40: June 16, 2009, 05:03:23 PM »
or some of us have jobs that kept us away from starting a thread 8

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #41: June 16, 2009, 05:06:17 PM »
Martis is going to get obliterated. no doubt about it. They should hit at least 3 bombs off of him.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #42: June 16, 2009, 05:22:52 PM »
:rofl: Yankees currently a -400 favorite on Bodog

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #43: June 16, 2009, 05:33:25 PM »
Lineups posted.  Guz as DH?

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #44: June 16, 2009, 05:36:08 PM »
oh good kearns is starting.  0-for-4, 2 k's. 

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #45: June 16, 2009, 05:37:33 PM »
oh good kearns is starting.  0-for-4, 2 k's. 
When does Willingham rejoin the club?

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #46: June 16, 2009, 05:43:32 PM »
Rosenthal just bashed the Nats lack of leadership/direction on Washington Post Live.  Says, the Lerners haven't hired a full-time GM, they won't let Stan K do his thing, as a whole the think tank doesn't have an ideal manager in mind.  Says things must change if this organization ever wants to win and be taken serious.  Mentioned it was nice start by drafting Strasburg (and that we will sign him) they need to continue to make positive moves.  Also said the way Manny is being treated is wrong - either fire the guy or publicly come out and support him.  Says he expects him to be canned this week still though. 

Amen Ken!  :clap: 

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #47: June 16, 2009, 05:48:18 PM »
Rosenthal just bashed the Nats lack of leadership/direction on Washington Post Live.  Says, the Lerners haven't hired a full-time GM, they won't let Stan K do his thing, as a whole the think tank doesn't have an ideal manager in mind.  Says things must change if this organization ever wants to win and be taken serious.  Mentioned it was nice start by drafting Strasburg (and that we will sign him) they need to continue to make positive moves.  Also said the way Manny is being treated is wrong - either fire the guy or publicly come out and support him.  Says he expects him to be canned this week still though. 

yet some people based rosenthal for reporting that his sources told him the lerners were going to fire acta

freak the lerners, they have no idea what they are doing.

« Reply #48: June 16, 2009, 05:57:45 PM »

You can easily turn that around and say it's a guy pissed off because the team didn't do what he said they would, when he said they would, especially by the "the way Manny is treated" line. Boo-freaking-hoo, you twit. If you were so protective of Manny Acta's feelings, you wouldn't have printed the freaking story! It was Rosenthal airing Acta's laundry, not the Lerners.

You know Rosenthal is sweating buckets right now and has to be taking at least some heat. I agree with what he is trying to say, but a whole lot of what he says is "No crap Sherlock" types of stuff. I'd like to know how he knows the inner workings of the club, so much so that he can say with evidence in hand say that Stan Kasten isn't allowed to do his job. Maybe Stan isn't as effective as everyone imagines. Who really knows the truth.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #49: June 16, 2009, 06:11:17 PM »
Has he actually said anything that hasn't been thrown around on message boards for the past 2 months?