Poll

How will the Redskins fare this year?

Under .500, no playoffs
3 (17.6%)
9-7 losing on Wild Card Weekend
3 (17.6%)
10+ wins and deep into NFC Playoffs
8 (47.1%)
Loss in Super Bowl
1 (5.9%)
Super Bowl Champs
2 (11.8%)

Total Members Voted: 14

Voting closed: June 28, 2006, 09:32:36 AM

Author Topic: Redskins Poll  (Read 4331 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline ncg1983

  • Posts: 202
    • JumpBorders
Redskins Poll
« Topic Start: June 28, 2006, 09:32:36 AM »
A little off topic, but its about that time of the year.

Online UMDNats

  • Posts: 11646
Redskins Poll
« Reply #1: June 28, 2006, 11:52:12 AM »
Small chance they win the Super Bowl. No team that signs so many FAs for so much money ends up there. Look at my Steelers: 1 FA signed before they won the big game. Cedrick Wilson. #3 WR.

I'm sorry Skins fans, I don't see the team winning it this year or anytime soon unless they actually start to use their draft picks.

Offline Kenz aFan

  • Posts: 5433
Redskins Poll
« Reply #2: June 28, 2006, 01:00:04 PM »
This post is NOT aimed at the person who started this thread, it's aimed at those Skins fans who make the good Skins fans (such as the originator of this thread) look bad. In fact, it's more an editorial than anything else and the only people who will feel targeted by this, will be those same bad Skins fans it's intended for. Those same bad Redskins fans should thank their lucky stars for the good ones, because without them, the Washington Redskins would be the most hated team in the NFL.

Puts on Dallas Cowboys cap and continues to type.....

I'm sorry ncg1983, but you'll have to forgive me for not shiving a git about the Washington Redskins. I certainly don't mind rooting for the Washington Nationals, or for the Capitals for that matter, but why should a none Skins fans have to wade through all the Redskins posts. The pole assumes that because we're all Washington Nationals fans, that there's a Washington football connection. Bad assumption and my reasoning follows.

Since we're all Nationals fans, there should me a more respectful base in regards to other sports. In hockey and basketball, there is, in football, there isn't. I'm a Montreal Canadiens fan, but I love the game and talking about Caps hockey helps to keep me in the know about other teams. Why, because Caps fans in general, are a much better bunch of people than Skins fans are. Why should football fans act different, the answer is, they shouldn't. If some of the Skins fans showed the same respect that Caps (or Wizards) fans do, this post would never have gotten written.

Yes, it's all well and good to love and root for your home team, in fact, I applaud it, but what some are forgetting, is that fans on the edge, who are looking for a team to root for, don't pick their team just by what they see on the field, they're also influenced by the passion and enthusiasm of the fans they meet. That's why such a large percentage of Redskins fans are from the DC area. Fans on the outside will see a good football team they might consider rooting for, but they end up getting turned off by the fans.

I wonder how many fans have actually taken the time to step back a little and look at just how lame some Skins act at times. It's a shame because Washington has had, and will have some really good teams, but some, and I again repeat, some of their fans kill any chance of an outsider becoming a fan.

Yes, last season the Redskins did better than their arch enemies, the Dallas Cowboys, well whoop-ti-doo, aren't we all impressed. Thing is, that and their Wildcard win over Tampa Bay was their crowning glory. This season, those same arch enemies, the Dallas Cowboys, will have a much better season and will go deeper into the playoffs than the Skins will. In fact, I predict that even the Cardinals will have a better this season than the Redskin in 2006.

From what I've seen so far this off-season, unless you think chaotic FA signings as improving the team, the Redskins have done very little to get better, while their hated rivals, the Dallas Cowboys, have. One step forward, two steps back, is not how a team should progress.

Every day in every way, I thank God I'm not a Redskins fan...
Go Cowboys!!!

Offline tomterp

  • Global Moderator
  • ****
  • Posts: 27966
  • Hell yes!
Redskins Poll
« Reply #3: June 28, 2006, 01:36:58 PM »
I can think of nothing that could be more polarizing towards potential fans, than to puff out the hypothetical franchise chest and claim the title of "America's Team".  Certainly this proclamation ranks as one of the most smugly arrogant, egotistical boasts in the history of North American sport.  While some football fans are attracted to this sort of attitude, others are nauseated by the very thought.

Excuse me, I'm getting a little quesy just thinking about it...

Offline The Chief

  • Posts: 30012
    • http://www.wnff.net
Redskins Poll
« Reply #4: June 28, 2006, 02:27:26 PM »
Quote from: "tomterp"
I can think of nothing that could be more polarizing towards potential fans, than to puff out the hypothetical franchise chest and claim the title of "America's Team".  Certainly this proclamation ranks as one of the most smugly arrogant, egotistical boasts in the history of North American sport.  While some football fans are attracted to this sort of attitude, others are nauseated by the very thought.

Excuse me, I'm getting a little quesy just thinking about it...


Couldn't agree more.

As for the poll, 9-7 and losing on WC weekend sounds about right to me.

Offline Kenz aFan

  • Posts: 5433
Redskins Poll
« Reply #5: June 28, 2006, 06:38:20 PM »
Quote from: "tomterp"
I can think of nothing that could be more polarizing towards potential fans, than to puff out the hypothetical franchise chest and claim the title of "America's Team".  Certainly this proclamation ranks as one of the most smugly arrogant, egotistical boasts in the history of North American sport.  While some football fans are attracted to this sort of attitude, others are nauseated by the very thought.

Excuse me, I'm getting a little quesy just thinking about it...

The label "America's Team" was made by the PRESS, not by Cowboy fans.

Get the facts straight before you consider shooting the messenger.

Offline ncg1983

  • Posts: 202
    • JumpBorders
Redskins Poll
« Reply #6: June 29, 2006, 01:18:19 PM »
Ken,

I have a few comments from your response.  I have seen many of your posts and I think you add a lot of good commentary about the Nationals.  That being said...

Having to "wade" through Redskins posts on a Nationals website is completely normal.  I can guarantee you that if we were on a Texas Rangers website right now, there would be plenty, if not more posts having to do with the Cowboys.  

We obviously have our biases towards our teams, but you don't really have any argument as to why Redskins fans are so bad.  Every team has their batch of annoying, ignorant fans.  As a matter of fact, I have heard numerous times on ESPN how educated (football-wise) of a fan base this team has.  I do not like the Cowboys at all, but you don't see me bashing them.

Once again, resorting back to ESPN, NFL.com etc, I find it funny how you think that we have "done very little to get better."  I think you should start watching NFL Network or ESPN occassionally.  I can't guarantee that we will finish ahead of the Cowboys, but I think it is outrageous that you believe the Cards will be better than us.  Unless Brunell gets injured for the year within the first 4 weeks, I guarantee we will finish with a better record than the Cards.  

As I said at the beginning, I have enjoyed reading your posts about the Nationals, but I think it is somewhat out of line that you bash Redskins fans without any argument.  If you don't like looking at Redskins related posts on this website, then simply skip it.  Not brain science.

By the way, how did you become a Cowboys fan (I'm not being sarcastic).

Online UMDNats

  • Posts: 11646
Redskins Poll
« Reply #7: June 29, 2006, 02:49:15 PM »
I think the Redskins should hope Brunell gets injured...He sucks come late season and they can just start Campbell early and get him ready. Brunell blows big time come playoff time because he is banged up and can't play well. Get Campbell going early and have him ready for the playoffs - he's got good weapons on offense and there are NO EXCUSES for Redskins fans for not winning this year. NO EXCUSES.

Offline Kenz aFan

  • Posts: 5433
Redskins Poll
« Reply #8: June 29, 2006, 05:52:32 PM »
Like I said, Washington fans (fans in any city really) too often assume that everyone in in whatever forum they are in, are all local fans, when in fact many non local fans simply choose to remain silent, possibly out of fear of ridicule, maybe because they stink at standing up for their team, who knows. In my case, the odds of my remaining silent is as likely to happen as RFK sprouting wings and flying away. I'm not afraid to speak my mind... Even in Redskin country. :wink:

Quote from: "ncg1983"
We obviously have our biases towards our teams, but you don't really have any argument as to why Redskins fans are so bad.  Every team has their batch of annoying, ignorant fans.  As a matter of fact, I have heard numerous times on ESPN how educated (football-wise) of a fan base this team has.

I'm not going to go into detail about all the football fans I've met over the years, but suffice to say, that so far, the most vulgar and obnoxious fans I've ever seen, regardless of sport, have been Yankee fans, with Redskins fans a close second.

As for Washington fans being educated (football wise), my guess is since DC has a very high percentage of college graduates, and the fact that most of the colleges they came from probably had a football program, where even non-players simply by rubbing elbows with other fans, ended up with a pretty good knowledge of football. But hey, that's only a guess...

Quote from: "ncg1983"
Once again, resorting back to ESPN, NFL.com etc, I find it funny how you think that we have "done very little to get better."

If you call a whole slew of FA signings improving your team, more power to you. But all those new faces wont do anything to improve the Skins. I think if they play over .500 they will have done well, especially with all the new players they have.

Quote from: "ncg1983"
I can't guarantee that we will finish ahead of the Cowboys, but I think it is outrageous that you believe the Cards will be better than us.

I'm predicting the Cowboys will win the division and that the Cardinals do better than the Redskins... Let me hear you predictions.

Quote from: "ncg1983"
As I said at the beginning, I have enjoyed reading your posts about the Nationals, but I think it is somewhat out of line that you bash Redskins fans without any argument.

Well, like most people, I judge from what I see, or in my case, from what I  have seen.

Quote from: "ncg1983"
By the way, how did you become a Cowboys fan (I'm not being sarcastic).

In the mid 60's when I was a year away from high school, (it would be newly opened the year I entered) I knew it was going to have a football team and I wanted to give it a try. So for the entire season prior to that 1st HS year, I watched ever football game on TV I could. I was hoping I could learn the ins and outs, and maybe pick up some clues to the game, but what it ended up doing, was teach me the game, not how to play it. I loved all the games I watched, but something about the 3 Dallas games I saw that season had me more on the edge of my seat than any of the others. I thought Tom Landry looked cool standing on the sidelines, I loved watching Clarke and Hayes catch the ball, and I loved watching Dandy Don Meredith throw and work the pocket. Anyway, to make a long story short, by the end of the season, I was a Cowboys fan.

Offline JMW IV

  • Posts: 11286
  • Name on the Front > Name on The Back
Redskins Poll
« Reply #9: June 29, 2006, 06:06:59 PM »


YESSIR!

Offline Kenz aFan

  • Posts: 5433
Redskins Poll
« Reply #10: June 29, 2006, 06:17:04 PM »
That's looks really cool.... Is it a belt buckle or maybe a plaque?  Inquiring minds want to know...

Offline JMW IV

  • Posts: 11286
  • Name on the Front > Name on The Back
Redskins Poll
« Reply #11: June 29, 2006, 06:32:51 PM »
Quote from: "Kenz aFan"
That's looks really cool.... Is it a belt buckle or maybe a plaque?  Inquiring minds want to know...


LOL!  it's a belt buckle I think.

I just pulled the picture from Google because i wanted to post up a Giants picture that wouldn't stretch the forums.

Offline The Chief

  • Posts: 30012
    • http://www.wnff.net
Redskins Poll
« Reply #12: June 29, 2006, 07:00:10 PM »
Ken I'm just going to say you do seem unfairly discriminatory towards the 'skins and especially their fans.  If you don't like a team, that's fine...  I hate the Cowboys.  But I don't wholesale hate on their fans.  You seem to have a special place in your heart for hating on 'skins fans, but no other team.  Pretty silly IMO, as last time I checked, NFL fans as a whole were generally foul-mouthed and reprehensible when compared to fans of say, MLB for example (general case, not NY Mets ;) )

Also this is the off-topic forum, if you don't want to read the thread about the 'skins, then don't.  If you want to start your own thread about the 'boys, go for it!  Last time I checked, 'skins fans weren't even a majority on this forum.  You're a boys fan, JMad likes the Giants, Metssuck likes the boys, etc. etc.

Quote from: "JMadisonIV"
I just pulled the picture from Google because i wanted to post up a Giants picture that wouldn't stretch the forums.


In the new forums, that won't be a problem anymore, there are admin settings for that :D ;)

Offline ncg1983

  • Posts: 202
    • JumpBorders
Redskins Poll
« Reply #13: June 30, 2006, 09:17:33 AM »
Ken, I could be wrong, but maybe you have such a foul taste for Redskins fans because you are a Cowboys fan.  I say this because many of my friends who are Steelers, Bears fans etc. rarely, if ever badmouth Skins fans.  The people that they do badmouth are Eagles and Jets fans.

Lets be realistic, there is no way that Redskin fans are worse than Eagles fans.  

1. The Vet used to have a jail in it.  
2. The Eagles applauded when Michael Irvin was taken out on a stretcher (neck injury).
3. Probably the worst thing I have heard is multiple senior citizens have been beaten up by Eagles fans for cheering for the visitor.  

Hell will freeze over before any of those 3 happen at FedEx Field.

As far as my predictions for the NFC East

Giants 12-4
Redskins 11-5
Cowboys 10-6
Eagles 7-9


And just for clarity...
Cardinals 6-10

Online UMDNats

  • Posts: 11646
Redskins Poll
« Reply #14: June 30, 2006, 09:23:50 AM »
The Cardinals are gonna do better than 6-10. 9-7 or 10-6, I think. Fitzgerald and Boldin are 2 amazing recievers and James is a top RB. If Warner struggles, they can put in Leinart, who should be ok. The defense is getting better as well and they could be on the verge of the playoffs.

Offline Minty Fresh

  • Posts: 16408
  • M. V. P.
Redskins Poll
« Reply #15: July 07, 2006, 09:36:26 AM »
Quote from: "Kenz aFan"
Yes, it's all well and good to love and root for your home team, in fact, I applaud it, but what some are forgetting, is that fans on the edge, who are looking for a team to root for, don't pick their team just by what they see on the field, they're also influenced by the passion and enthusiasm of the fans they meet. That's why such a large percentage of Redskins fans are from the DC area. Fans on the outside will see a good football team they might consider rooting for, but they end up getting turned off by the fans.

I wonder how many fans have actually taken the time to step back a little and look at just how lame some Skins act at times. It's a shame because Washington has had, and will have some really good teams, but some, and I again repeat, some of their fans kill any chance of an outsider becoming a fan.


Can't this be said about every football team in America?  

I grew up in the 80's going to Patriots games, and at that time the Patriots really sucked, I mean really sucked, and I was turned off by Pats fans and never embraced them as my HOME team AND THEY WERE MY HOME TEAM!

Football has an overwhelming number of knuckleheads in its fanbase.  I can't identify why that is.  Is it the violent nature of the sport?  Probably.  But it seems to me that the education level of your average football fan would be higher than that of a fan of say, the NBA or NASCAR.  I'd be interested in seeing some data that compares a fan's favorite sport vs. their maximum educational level achieved.  

Bottom line?  The most obnoxious fans I've met in my lifetime are (in descending order):

1.  Philadelphia Eagles Fans
2.  Dallas Cowboys Fans
3.  Boston Red Sox Fans
4.  New England Patriots Fans
5.  New York Jets Fans

Coincidentally, four of the five are football teams.....

Online UMDNats

  • Posts: 11646
Redskins Poll
« Reply #16: July 07, 2006, 12:13:53 PM »
If you've ever been to a Flyers game, then they would be your #1 most obnoxious fans. They are terrible.

ChestRockwell

  • Guest
Redskins Poll
« Reply #17: August 15, 2006, 11:51:00 AM »
I picked 10 plus,  health will be a key.  But if Brunnell goues down expect Campbell to not fail, but not to over achieve either

Offline 2k6nats

  • Posts: 9241
  • The regular season is a flat circle
Redskins Poll
« Reply #18: August 17, 2006, 12:12:36 PM »
Quote from: "ncg1983"
Ken, I could be wrong, but maybe you have such a foul taste for Redskins fans because you are a Cowboys fan.  I say this because many of my friends who are Steelers, Bears fans etc. rarely, if ever badmouth Skins fans.  The people that they do badmouth are Eagles and Jets fans.

Lets be realistic, there is no way that Redskin fans are worse than Eagles fans.  

1. The Vet used to have a jail in it.  
2. The Eagles applauded when Michael Irvin was taken out on a stretcher (neck injury).
3. Probably the worst thing I have heard is multiple senior citizens have been beaten up by Eagles fans for cheering for the visitor.  

Hell will freeze over before any of those 3 happen at FedEx Field.

As far as my predictions for the NFC East

Giants 12-4
Redskins 11-5
Cowboys 10-6
Eagles 7-9


And just for clarity...
Cardinals 6-10


Personally, I am a fair-weather Pats fan, but I do watch NFL Live and stuff like that, and your prediction of third place for the Cowboys is off.  Here is mine:

Cowboys 13-3
Giants 11-5
Redskins 9-7
Eagles 5-11

Offline Vladman1327

  • Posts: 626
Redskins Poll
« Reply #19: August 18, 2006, 11:38:26 AM »
Um...Go Steelers!

I lived in Pittsburgh for a while, so yes, I am a Steelers fan.


And I dislike the Redskins a lot now, for stealing Randle El, bastards... :lol:

Online UMDNats

  • Posts: 11646
Redskins Poll
« Reply #20: August 18, 2006, 12:48:03 PM »
Vlad, I am also a Steeler fan (first football I watched was Pittsburgh Steelers football), and I don't think the losing of Randle El will hurt us, considering how much the Skins' paid for him.

DirtDogBaseball

  • Guest
Redskins Poll
« Reply #21: August 18, 2006, 06:09:45 PM »
stealing Randall El?
 :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Offline nospinzone1

  • Posts: 3083
Redskins Poll
« Reply #22: August 20, 2006, 09:32:31 AM »
I HAVE BEEN A SKINS FAN SINCE 1954 AND THEY HAVE SHOWN ME IN THE EXHIBITION GAMES THAT IT IS GOING TO BE A LONG, LONG SEASON. HOPE I HAVE TO EAT MY WORDS.


GO SKINS, GO NATS, GO CAPS, GO MYSTICS, GO DC UNITED, GO WIZZARDS.

Redskins Poll
« Reply #23: August 20, 2006, 11:00:15 PM »
9-7.

The Redskins year after year preach the motto "This is our year..." and look great on paper but always, when they get on the field, the other teams take that paper and wipe their ****s with it.

I don't expect this year to be any different.

Oh and GO s!

Offline Senators2005

  • Lake Ridge, VA
  • Posts: 12261
  • Go Natsssssss!
    • http://nationalsnation.spaces.live.com/
Redskins Poll
« Reply #24: August 21, 2006, 06:47:29 AM »
LOVE the new avatar NOTLD.  Now move along now or I'll squirt you with a water bottle or something.   :lol: