Author Topic: Is it in the water?  (Read 422 times)

Offline skinsnatsterps

• The Big Train.
Is it in the water?
« Topic Start: June 07, 2009, 11:42:15 PM »
Hi, everyone. I'm the new member here. As you can tell by the screen name, I'm a D.C. native and I follow most of the D.C. area teams.

For over 100 years (save the 30+ year absence of baseball in town), D.C. has seen, for the most part, terrible baseball. From the years just following the Civil War to the present day, Washington has had consistently terrible baseball. Everyone wants to talk about the Cubs' World Series curse. This city hasn't seen a pennant since Roosevelt was in office; and we haven't even come close after that. 

I'm sure you guys are a little more savvy on Washington baseball history. Why is there always horrible baseball in D.C.? 

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
Re: Is it in the water?
« Reply #1: June 08, 2009, 12:31:54 AM »
No pennant since Roosevelt?  Hell, what about no World Series since Coolidge. :shock:

Just look at the ownership, though.  Griffith, Short, and the Lerners. :hang:

Offline skinsnatsterps

• The Big Train.
« Reply #2: June 08, 2009, 12:41:52 AM »
True that. I didn't mention the World Series since the Cubs haven't won once since...Taft. (Yes, I had to Google that one).
But, you're right there. Washington ball teams always had terrible management. Griffith was a cheap skate. Short hated D.C. and the Lerners...well, they're the Lerners.

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #3: June 08, 2009, 01:02:27 AM »
I won't call the Lerners "cheap" or anything (that seems to be a hot button issue here :roll: and I'm really agnostic about that), but I will say, they haven't a freaking clue about building a baseball team.  Mark Lerner thought Johan Santana was a free agent - 'nuff said.

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #4: June 08, 2009, 02:22:17 AM »
I won't call the Lerners "cheap" or anything (that seems to be a hot button issue here :roll: and I'm really agnostic about that), but I will say, they haven't a freaking clue about building a baseball team.  Mark Lerner thought Johan Santana was a free agent - 'nuff said.

I guess they think getting the most income is the key to winning, and they aren't even winning at that.

We suck!

Online blue911

« Reply #5: June 08, 2009, 07:46:28 AM »
True that. I didn't mention the World Series since the Cubs haven't won once since...Taft. (Yes, I had to Google that one).
But, you're right there. Washington ball teams always had terrible management. Griffith was a cheap skate. Short hated D.C. and the Lerners...well, they're the Lerners.

Just to nitpick. Teddy Roosevelt was President the last time the Cubs won a World Series.

« Reply #6: June 08, 2009, 07:52:38 AM »
Just to nitpick. Teddy Roosevelt was President the last time the Cubs won a World Series.

No wonder Teddy never wins.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #7: June 08, 2009, 09:08:16 AM »
Just look at the ownership, though.  Griffith, Short, and the Lerners. :hang:

Hitler was nominated for a Nobel Peace Prize in 1939.

Offline HerndonNat

• FSU Football
« Reply #8: June 08, 2009, 09:42:24 AM »
How many actual seasons is that since the last pennant?

Offline skinsnatsterps

• The Big Train.
« Reply #9: June 08, 2009, 09:56:49 AM »
Ah, you're right. It was Roosevelt I. For some reason, I thought the Cubs won their last World Championship in 1909.