Author Topic: Nationals vs Mets, Game 3  (Read 14696 times)

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
Re: Nationals vs Mets, Game 3
« Reply #300: June 07, 2009, 05:16:11 PM »
There is no way I believe that.

Agreed.  They're all playing for individual playing time and paychecks, and that's a much stronger motivator when you've got nothing else to play for.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #301: June 07, 2009, 05:55:24 PM »
Agreed.  They're all playing for individual playing time and paychecks, and that's a much stronger motivator when you've got nothing else to play for.
As soon as we were eliminated from contention the production from the offense has tanked. Winning is the greatest motivator and now that that is taken away they have packed it in.

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #302: June 07, 2009, 05:57:48 PM »
Winning is the greatest motivator and now that that is taken away they have packed it in.

Yep, I don't know what those 2 are looking at. No motivation, no desire, no heart and no worries.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #303: June 07, 2009, 06:50:38 PM »
"He was on today again against us," Manny Acta said. "We have a lot of young hitters, and when he's on, he can just prey on those young guys, just tease them with those pitches just barely off the strike zone... and the guys just keep going after it."

Wait, did Acta say his lineup had a bunch of young guys? Who, exactly? Cristian Guzman debuted in the big leagues in 1999. Nick Johnson, in 2001. Ryan Zimmerman, in 2005. Adam Dunn, in 2001. Austin Kearns, in 2002. Josh Bard, in 2002. The only players you could reasonably pass off as inexperienced are Elijah Dukes and Anderson Hernandez. And Dukes was an everyday player last year.

Acta is full of crap. thank you Chico for calling him out on it.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #304: June 07, 2009, 06:58:03 PM »
Before the game, there was a home run competition among members of the Long Haul Bombers, who I presume are some sort of competitive softball niche sport.  4 guys took turns hitting about 15 pitches each, and they hit some real bombs.  One guy hit one onto the concourse in left, another onto the higher concourse in right center.

My son caught one of the balls, a MIKEN mshrdb-1, which apparently is a specialty product that is especially made for extreme flight. 

One shot about 15 rows deep in left caromed off the seats and hit a Mets fan right in an eye.  He left, guided by his other one.

Offline Frau Mau

• Good boy!
« Reply #305: June 07, 2009, 07:18:54 PM »
The scoreboard said 98 for MacDougall and 97 for Calome, so that's probably not the radar gun you want the cops to use on I-95.

I think so.

He was throwing 98 against Wright there.

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #306: June 07, 2009, 07:59:17 PM »
Agreed.  Nick Johnson is in a contract year, Austin Kearns potentially is (lol @ the thought of anyone picking up his option), Josh Willingham will be going to arby or working out a contract next year, and Guzman/Dunn will be done with theirs before you know it.

Zimmerman is the only person without any real payday at stake here.  They have the motivation.  The absence of winning should not void their motive here.

Offline PC

« Reply #307: June 07, 2009, 08:26:20 PM »
I'll start with my perfunctory statement..."You can't blame the pitching when your offense scores zero runs."  If Stammen had given up one run, they'd lost 1-0.  If he gave up 20 they'd lost 20-0.  All the pitching could do with this offense is control the size of the loss.

Embarrassment clearly does not enter the thinking of this team.  Manny Acta, Rick Eckstein. somebody should tell these players that it will be an tremendous embarrassment if they can't hit Livan Hernandez (or Tim Redding, for that matter)  because everybody else hits them and hits them HARD!  Clearly, this conversation never happens in the meeting rooms in NatsTown.

The miles and miles of videotape of hitters assaulting Hernandez on the mound, this offense couldn't figure out how to get ONE run across the plate?   >:(

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #308: June 07, 2009, 08:28:54 PM »
Fire Eckstein?  :lol:

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #309: June 07, 2009, 09:13:43 PM »
As soon as we were eliminated from contention the production from the offense has tanked. Winning is the greatest motivator and now that that is taken away they have packed it in.

What about like 3 weeks ago when they lost 8 or 9 straight scoring over 5 runs each game? We were out of it then but still had some offense. I just think some days they aren't motivated... Alot of it has to do with Kearns being in our lineup. Having such a rally killer player is a big problem.

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
« Reply #310: June 09, 2009, 09:16:58 AM »
I left after the fifth inning (Nats of course behind 5-nil at the time) to go to the Mystics' home opener...judging from the outcomes (Mystics beat Atlanta 77-71 to go 2-0 from the start of the season for the first time ever) it looks like I made the right decision.

Offline R-Zim#11

« Reply #311: June 09, 2009, 10:41:18 AM »
I left after the fifth inning (Nats of course behind 5-nil at the time) to go to the Mystics' home opener...judging from the outcomes (Mystics beat Atlanta 77-71 to go 2-0 from the start of the season for the first time ever) it looks like I made the right decision.

Paying money to go to a WNBA game is never the right decision...

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #312: June 09, 2009, 11:22:39 AM »
Paying money to go to a WNBA game is never the right decision...

Good one.  :thumbs: