Author Topic: Nick Johnson Trade Talk (Consolidated)  (Read 25083 times)

Offline ronnynat

Re: Nick Johnson Trade Talk (Consolidated)
« Reply #100: May 24, 2009, 12:28:17 PM »
No one actually knows if NJ is at the top of Sabean's want list. I don't know where MLBTR got that info. I 100% guarantee Sabean would never do that trade.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #101: May 24, 2009, 12:46:27 PM »
2.40 ERA despite an increased walk rate and decreased strikeout rate in 2009.

that scares me

actually, BB/9 is slightly down this year. K/9 is way down though and HR/9 is up - those aren't good indicators. His BABIP is also way too low and his strand rate is the highest its ever been, his era should come way up.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #102: May 24, 2009, 12:47:17 PM »
I don't see how this ever goes down, but this trade is one I'd do and the biggest proponent of keeping NJ.  A wild card here...DY is probably not that far from making a return.  Rizzo said the other day he's progressing nicely in terms of getting in shape.  He could be an option to man first, not necessarily a good option, but we could see that instead of Dunn or Willingham.

Offline PatsNats28

« Reply #103: May 24, 2009, 02:09:00 PM »
OMG do this! I doubt it's for real though. I'd offer NJ, Willingham, maybe add an SP also like Stammen.

Offline zoom

« Reply #104: May 24, 2009, 02:28:01 PM »
I don't see how this ever goes down, but this trade is one I'd do and the biggest proponent of keeping NJ.  A wild card here...DY is probably not that far from making a return.  Rizzo said the other day he's progressing nicely in terms of getting in shape.  He could be an option to man first, not necessarily a good option, but we could see that instead of Dunn or Willingham.

I doubt this goes down either, but if it did, i would want to promote Eldred as an 'audition' as well as DY.  If Eldred provides an adequate performance, then we could use him next year as Marerro continues to develop.  If he doesn't, we have to address a 1 or 2 year player via trade or FA.   

Offline soxfan59

• Gough, Gough White Sox!!!
    • John R. Russell, Ltd.
« Reply #105: May 24, 2009, 02:35:51 PM »
I don't know if its the same article or not, but I saw a link to an article at MLB Traderumors that had Cain being shopped for a bat . . . yes, Nick Johnson was supposedly at the top of the list, but the article listed other potential targets, such as Aubrey Huff, Dan Uggla, Mark DeRosa, Paul Konerko, Matt Holliday, and Felipe Lopez. One thing noted, though -- the Giants do not want to part with any of their prized minor league prospects. 

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #106: May 24, 2009, 05:39:32 PM »
We could always hope our Owners get down and sign another top free agent this off-season.

I could always dream: Trade NJ for Cain. Sign Holliday/Bay/Granderson. Play Dunn at first (or if we still have Willingham) Dukes and Willingham/Harris/Maxwell in the OF.

Meh, I wish to much.

But I dont see why NJ would be the top of his list becasue the people in that list are more of a "bat" in power terms. But crap, Id definitely try to trade NJ and a minor leaguer

Offline GMUTrkstar

« Reply #107: May 24, 2009, 06:21:50 PM »
I don't think it would be NJ for Cain straight up:

"Because Cain is young, controllable and relatively cheap for two more seasons, it would require productive offensive players with similar service-time attributes to strike a deal," says Baggarly.

I think Maxwell getting hot soon would be great for us. Since I believe he'd be a part of any trade that happens. NJ(pay the whole salary), Maxwell and Willems for Cain & maybe another player makes more sense.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #108: May 24, 2009, 08:41:39 PM »
I don't think it would be NJ for Cain straight up:

I think Maxwell getting hot soon would be great for us. Since I believe he'd be a part of any trade that happens. NJ(pay the whole salary), Maxwell and Willems for Cain & maybe another player makes more sense.

if his k/r and hr/9 revert, great, if they keep on getting worse, why would we through in more to get him?

Offline PC

« Reply #109: May 24, 2009, 08:46:05 PM »
Not nearly enough.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #110: May 24, 2009, 09:08:21 PM »
I'm not disagreeing with this obviously, but it would be painful to watch Dunn at first after watching NJ over there. That would be a huge blow to our defense.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #111: May 24, 2009, 09:17:20 PM »
Agreed.  As much as I like Dunn, there's no way I want to see him at 1B on a regular basis.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #112: May 24, 2009, 09:19:56 PM »
Agreed.  As much as I like Dunn, there's no way I want to see him at 1B on a regular basis.

There's always Belliard.   :lol:

:-[

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #113: May 24, 2009, 09:35:27 PM »
haha, some dummy on the Mets board proposed this trade:

NJ for Jon Niese and Daniel Murphy. :lol:

The Mutts fans ripped him good.

http://www.forums.mlb.com/n/pfx/forum.aspx?tsn=1&nav=messages&webtag=ml-mets&tid=418452

Offline shoeshineboy

• Walks Kill!! Walks Kill! Walks Kill!!!!
« Reply #114: May 24, 2009, 10:26:08 PM »
That Cain for NJ rumor just seems absurd. They would have to believe he has some terminal disease or believe his arm is about to fall off next week. It really seems like two separate things. One, they would like Johnson. Two, they want to deal Cain for as many top prospects as possible.

Offline shoeshineboy

• Walks Kill!! Walks Kill! Walks Kill!!!!
« Reply #115: May 24, 2009, 10:31:52 PM »
haha, some dummy on the Mets board proposed this trade:

NJ for Jon Niese and Daniel Murphy. :lol:

The Mutts fans ripped him good.

http://www.forums.mlb.com/n/pfx/forum.aspx?tsn=1&nav=messages&webtag=ml-mets&tid=418452

And that guy deserves to be ripped. Omar seems to be obsessed with ex-Expos he had, so I can see him wanting NJ. And given that Omar is in one of those GM hot seat positions where his job is in jeopardy if he doesn't win now, the Mets are more likely to deal some decent future talent for NJ in the short term. But it isn't likely to be anything in the category that guy proposed.

Offline Air Zimmerman

• best 3b in the business
« Reply #116: May 24, 2009, 10:54:49 PM »
Matt Cain for Nicky Johnson... that's funny.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #117: May 25, 2009, 01:49:04 AM »
There's always Belliard.   :lol:
Or Dimitri Young.  Don't discount it.

« Reply #118: May 25, 2009, 09:18:33 AM »
Or Dimitri Young.  Don't discount it.

God, I wish we could. The guy has been an absolute waste.

Offline blue911

« Reply #119: May 25, 2009, 09:30:03 AM »
God, I wish we could. The guy has been an absolute waste waist.

Fixed

Offline zoom

« Reply #120: May 25, 2009, 11:31:48 AM »
Eldred and address 1b in the offseason. 

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #121: May 25, 2009, 09:17:29 PM »
MLBTR:Holy crap. Are the Giants STUPID?
Do this before they realize how unfair this trade is!

Remember the last time we thought we fleeced a team (Marlins) for a pitcher (Olsen)?

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #122: May 25, 2009, 09:21:36 PM »
Matt Cain is far better than Scott Olsen.

Offline NatsDad14

« Reply #123: May 25, 2009, 09:28:48 PM »
Remember the last time we thought we fleeced a team (Marlins) for a pitcher (Olsen)?

Willingham is so much better than Bonafacio.

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #124: May 26, 2009, 03:59:48 AM »
Willingham is so much better than Bonafacio.

This. No matter how silly or stupid the trade of Bonafacio for Willingham and Olsen sounds or sounded, its still plus for us. Bonafacio may have impressed us that first few games (2 months ago), its still on top for us. Willingham is doing pretty well for us considering we have Kearns to play besides him, also Olsen may turn it around if this healing process turns out. We may not know until it actually pans out.