Author Topic: MMA and Boxing  (Read 23591 times)

Offline ronnynat

MMA and Boxing
« Topic Start: April 28, 2009, 12:52:20 PM »
Anyone else watch it? It's one of my favorite sports now.

Re: The UFC
« Reply #1: April 28, 2009, 05:56:09 PM »
I find it boring. Especially when they all start grappling and rolling around on the ground on top of each other like a bunch of sailors.

Offline Frau Mau

• Good boy!
« Reply #2: April 29, 2009, 10:38:59 AM »
Oh wait, is this the cage fighting stuff? Seems very homoerotic.... :shock:

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
« Reply #3: April 29, 2009, 10:45:42 AM »
I don't like any "sport" where the objective is to wrestle or bash someone senseless or until they can't fight any more.

Oh, here it comes....  :roll:

« Reply #4: April 29, 2009, 12:30:32 PM »
I don't like any "sport" where the objective is to wrestle or bash someone senseless or until they can't fight any more.

Oh, here it comes....  :roll:

That is ridiculous. You watch the Nats. Opponents always bash them senseless or until they can't fight anymore.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #5: April 29, 2009, 12:34:04 PM »
I kind of like the UFC but I don't watch it much.

Boxing is better. Can't wait for Hatton-Pacquiao on Saturday night :az:

Offline JMUalumni

« Reply #6: April 29, 2009, 01:36:14 PM »
Boxing is better. Can't wait for Hatton-Pacquiao on Saturday night :az:

I am a big boxing fan.  I am having a whole lot of people over at my house on Saturday for the Hatton-Pacquiao fight.  I think Hatton is going to get his @ss whooped, Pacquiao is just too good.

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
« Reply #7: April 29, 2009, 02:15:55 PM »
Boxing fits in my category.

Offline JMUalumni

« Reply #8: April 29, 2009, 02:18:37 PM »
Boxing fits in my category.

You either like it or you don't, not much I can say other than that.  I wrestled in HS, but UFC just isn't my cup of tea.  I do like boxing, though.  I get violent part, but I don't really care as long as people aren't dying.

Offline Dave B

« Reply #9: April 29, 2009, 08:43:07 PM »
HBO/Whatever PPV boxing is great. Its such an event. Lampley gets so excited then they ask Lederman who is winning and he breathlessy gives his score and some justification/analysis. I dont know much about it, but if I see it I watch.  Sometimes I'll try to find a bar with it on or try to not find out who won and watch a replay a couple weeks later

I'm not opposed to UFC, I just dont get around to it. If it showed up on HBO like boxing I'd watch

I like how boxers can take a jab to the nose and not flinch. I like the old school first aid applied in the corners but 70 year old guys.  Even though I dont get it, I realize there is some kind of unseen complexity to it.

The 24/7 series HBO runs is great. I havent seen the Hatton/Paquiao ones yet.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #10: April 29, 2009, 10:35:15 PM »
I'll take boxing or UFC or whatever over "sports" where someone gets their rocks off by blowing away animals for craps & giggles. 

Offline JMUalumni

« Reply #11: April 30, 2009, 12:15:36 AM »
HBO/Whatever PPV boxing is great. Its such an event. Lampley gets so excited then they ask Lederman who is winning and he breathlessy gives his score and some justification/analysis. I dont know much about it, but if I see it I watch.  Sometimes I'll try to find a bar with it on or try to not find out who won and watch a replay a couple weeks later

I'm not opposed to UFC, I just dont get around to it. If it showed up on HBO like boxing I'd watch

I like how boxers can take a jab to the nose and not flinch. I like the old school first aid applied in the corners but 70 year old guys.  Even though I dont get it, I realize there is some kind of unseen complexity to it.

The 24/7 series HBO runs is great. I havent seen the Hatton/Paquiao ones yet.

The HBO 24/7 series are genius.  Really adds depth and storylines to the fights, making them much more interesting and intriguing.  They have also helped increase viewership of the big prize fights (De La Hoya-Mayweather broke some records because of it).

As for the cut men in the corners, my uncle was one for 25 years.  He served as my cutman when I boxed for a year in HS (got my ass beat too many times, so had to give it up).  It actually quite an art to be able to do what those guys did.

MrMadison

« Reply #12: April 30, 2009, 02:07:39 PM »
i still prefer to watch boxing, but it is not really exciting anymore.

MrMadison

« Reply #13: April 30, 2009, 02:11:32 PM »
oh and pac man is gonna beat the crap out of ricky hatton

Offline Dave B

« Reply #14: April 30, 2009, 10:17:05 PM »
oh and pac man is gonna beat the crap out of ricky hatton

if that happens, is pacman/mayweather a possibility, even though mayweather is apparently retired?

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #15: April 30, 2009, 11:36:40 PM »
I can't wait until the Mir-Lesnar rematch. Just like in boxing, the heavyweight division is definitely my favorite to watch. Boxing just hasn't had many great heavyweights in recent years.

MrMadison

« Reply #16: May 01, 2009, 12:08:16 AM »
I gotta think that Pacquiao-Mayweather is the next big "superfight" that is actually plausible. really, what else is there in the Boxing world? Boxing REALLY  needs some interesting heavyweights.

Offline Dave B

« Reply #17: May 01, 2009, 07:47:23 PM »
I gotta think that Pacquiao-Mayweather is the next big "superfight" that is actually plausible. really, what else is there in the Boxing world? Boxing REALLY  needs some interesting heavyweights.

just from piecing together what i've read, i think there is a big disparity between the weights. hatton moved up from 140 to 147 to fight Mayweather (maybe mayweather moved down too?).  Pacquiao moved up to fight Hatton at 140.  Can Pacquiao moved up to 147? Mayweather below 147? Pac fought DeLaHoya at 147, but DeLaHoya was old and crap

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #18: July 12, 2009, 05:41:38 PM »
Anyone watch UFC 100 last night? It was awesome. Mir got knocked the freak OUT. I've never seen a face get that freaked up that quickly. I don't think anyone in the UFC is going to beat Lesnar now. Dude's just too huge.

Offline bklynnats

« Reply #19: July 12, 2009, 05:47:35 PM »
Anyone watch UFC 100 last night? It was awesome. Mir got knocked the freak OUT. I've never seen a face get that freaked up that quickly. I don't think anyone in the UFC is going to beat Lesnar now. Dude's just too huge.

I watched it! No friends are into it, so I ponied up the $45 and spent my Saturday night with UFC, my cat, and a six pack of Blue Moon :lol:

I was rooting for Mir, but wow, Brock destroyed him. Those final punches while his head was sandwiched up against the cage? :bag:

LOVED the Henderson KO of Bisping. And Saint Pierre is one of my favorite guys to watch.

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #20: July 12, 2009, 05:51:43 PM »
I watched it! No friends are into it, so I ponied up the $45 and spent my Saturday night with UFC, my cat, and a six pack of Blue Moon :lol:

I was rooting for Mir, but wow, Brock destroyed him. Those final punches while his head was sandwiched up against the cage? :bag:

LOVED the Henderson KO of Bisping. And Saint Pierre is one of my favorite guys to watch.

Yeah, Henderson completely dominated. Bisping didn't look like himself out there at all. Completely on the defensive until just before he got knocked out. :lol:  He was sleeping for a while, too.

The UFC might finally have some champs who can actually hold on to their belts.

The first fight (Belcher-Akiyama) was probably the fight of the night.

Offline bklynnats

« Reply #21: July 12, 2009, 06:06:50 PM »
Yeah, Henderson completely dominated. Bisping didn't look like himself out there at all. Completely on the defensive until just before he got knocked out. :lol:  He was sleeping for a while, too.

The UFC might finally have some champs who can actually hold on to their belts.

The first fight (Belcher-Akiyama) was probably the fight of the night.

Agreed. I get that the idea might have been to keep moving and not give Henderson a sitting target, but Bisping looked jittery out there. And he kept circling right into Henderson's right hand. That final punch when he was already on his back though? :lol: You're right, it took awhile for Bisping to get up after that!

Absolutely. I'm sure there's someone out there who can exploit Brock's inexperience (like Mir was able to the first time), but he's just SO strong. It'll be interesting to see.

First fight was good, definitely the most competitive of the night. Even in the five round St Pierre-Alves fight, there was no doubt who was winning.

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
« Reply #22: July 12, 2009, 07:56:59 PM »
I have to admit..I don't "get" MMA at all.

I may have to actually sit and watch it with someone explaining things to me as we go.

Offline JMW IV

« Reply #23: July 12, 2009, 07:58:06 PM »
wasn't Mir talking crap about Pro Wrestlers not being real athletes or something like that before getting his ass beat by Lesnar?

Offline JMW IV

« Reply #24: July 12, 2009, 08:01:59 PM »
why do all the UFC fans hate Lesnar?

Lesnars getting bashed all over the place, why?