Author Topic: 2006 mlb draft?  (Read 4495 times)

Ryan Zimmerman

2006 mlb draft?
« Topic Start: May 27, 2006, 04:06:30 PM »
Who are the top rated prospects?

Who the nationals have an eye on?

what are the nats picks?

It's really soon...6th,7th june.

gozimm

Re: 2006 mlb draft?
« Reply #1: May 27, 2006, 04:19:51 PM »
Quote from: "Ryan Zimmerman"

what are the nats picks?

Well the obvious top prospect is UNC pitcher Andrew Miller.  He'll go first.  Here's a link for the top 30 prospects.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/draft/features/261330.html

Ryan Zimmerman

« Reply #2: May 27, 2006, 05:15:07 PM »
Quote from: "gozimm"
Quote from: "Ryan Zimmerman"

what are the nats picks?

Well the obvious top prospect is UNC pitcher Andrew Miller.  He'll go first.  Here's a link for the top 30 prospects.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/draft/features/261330.html

thx. :D

Ryan Zimmerman

« Reply #3: May 30, 2006, 10:02:58 PM »
You guys want a pitcher or a hitter?

If a hitter...what position?

I want this Billy Rowell kid, he's a SS and seems to have alot of power. God knows we need a SS. Ian Desmond is good and all...but still it's good to have depht. He's going to be gone before we pick, I guess.

As for pitchers...I don't know..I heard picking a pitching prospect in the first round is a waste.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
2006 mlb draft?
« Reply #4: May 31, 2006, 10:17:38 AM »
On the Nationals site, the draftees status list seems to indicate we never signed Justin Maxwell, our #2 last year.  Can anybody comment on whether he's under contract to the Nats?

gozimm

2006 mlb draft?
« Reply #5: May 31, 2006, 04:56:26 PM »
Quote from: "tomterp"
On the Nationals site, the draftees status list seems to indicate we never signed Justin Maxwell, our #2 last year.  Can anybody comment on whether he's under contract to the Nats?

He signed a little while ago i think.  Theres a thread on him somewhere on the site.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
2006 mlb draft?
« Reply #6: May 31, 2006, 07:46:46 PM »
I hope so.  Job #1 for the new owners is to sign top draftees.  Poorer teams pass on top prospects, so with the 22nd pick or wherever we are, we stand to get a top 15 player.  Got to sign these guys!

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
2006 mlb draft?
« Reply #7: June 04, 2006, 10:11:47 PM »
Quote from: "tomterp"

To satisfy your curiosity, check out this link:
http://www.theacc.com/sports/m-basebl/spec-rel/101205aad.html

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
2006 mlb draft?
« Reply #8: June 05, 2006, 03:23:17 PM »
Thanks Ken, must be an oversight on the MLB board.

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
2006 mlb draft?
« Reply #9: June 06, 2006, 12:34:51 PM »
Tom
In case you might be interested in checking the team's two previous drafts, you can do so via these two pages:
(signed players appear in bold)
2004 MLB Draft
2005 MLB Draft

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
2006 mlb draft?
« Reply #10: June 06, 2006, 01:02:59 PM »
Pretty cool, nice they signed their first 22 picks.  Hopefully this year we have the financial backing to go after the best players available, as opposed to the best we can afford to sign.

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
2006 mlb draft?
« Reply #11: June 06, 2006, 04:50:52 PM »
To quote from a recent article that appeared on the Nays main site...
Unlike the past four years, in which they had a limited budget, the Nationals will not have problems signing first-year players. General manager Jim Bowden declined to say how much money would be spent, but Kasten said during that press conference that they are willing to overpay to get the players they want.

"We budgeted a significant amount of dollars for this draft and for signing players in Latin America at a record number for this franchise, knowing that's how you rebuild an organization," Bowden said. "It's a good number to be able to sign a significant amount of players. Now the key is to make sure [we] sign the best players that can help us. That's what has to be measured."

Original article: National agenda: Restocking the Minors

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
2006 mlb draft?
« Reply #12: June 07, 2006, 12:03:29 PM »
Looking forward to seeing the Vermont Lake Monsters when they come to play the ValleyCats!

Goooooo Junior Nats!

Ryan Zimmerman

2006 mlb draft?
« Reply #13: June 07, 2006, 09:09:54 PM »
thoughts about the Marrero pick?

From what I've read, he has really interesting power but he strikes out too much? Is it true?

We dont have much prospects with interesting plate discpline/a good eye

Maxwell...strikes out too much
Baez too
Diaz too
Dee Brown too

anyways just my two cents

Offline UMDNats

2006 mlb draft?
« Reply #14: June 08, 2006, 12:21:14 AM »
not to mention Church strikes out a lot, if he's still a prospect. Which i doubt.

I think that we've started to form our core prospect group for the future and I think we'll start to develop a stron prospect group. With the inevitable Guillen and Soriano trades, possible Livan and Vidro trades, we will definetly have a much stronger AAA, AA, and A teams.

Ryan Zimmerman

2006 mlb draft?
« Reply #15: June 10, 2006, 12:50:36 PM »
This made me chukle

A guy on mlb.com nats forums compared Marrero to Church.

He said, he seems like another futur Ryan Church, slow, poor plate discpline. He said, he's prolly' going to be a DH in the AL.

He can't really tell this because Marrero hasn't even played in the pro's yet. He's 3,4 years away...but I must admit...i'm disapointed he's slow.

This is interesting, you've gotta read this...if you still haven't

Quote from: "mike mcgee"

Hello all, Hear me out now, Im a Reds fan, but i come in peace tonight Im going to tell you a lil about myself and stuff so you can understand Colten's ability to pitch......

As you can tell my name on the message boards is olympian, I played for Team USA for baseball in the olympics last summer and we took home the Silver Medel, My name is Mike Mcgee I will be going into my senior year at Port St Lucie HS FL, (Colten Willems went to John Carrol, in Fort Pierce/Port St. Lucie FL) so he is from my city, I play SS, as a freshman, I set the record for hits in my school, and since 1990, theres only ben 3 years my school was not ranked in the top 10, theres ben talk in next years draft, I will also be a first rounder, this being said....

Colten Willems is an amazing pitcher, you guys should be really luckey to get him, I said my credentails up there just to tell you, Ive k's 5 times all year long, 3 of them were by him, thye say he throws 95, that is his average, this season, (or last however you wanna look at it) he threw 98 vrs Jensen Beach, he has amazing talent, Ive faced GREAT pitching playing for a HS of my caliber and in the Olympics, and no better pitcher than him, He's the type of pitcher that will never throw you the same pitch twice in an at bat, he keeps you guessing, and it helps he can reach up to 98 mph and in 18 years old. I wanted the Reds to take this kid, he will be an amazing pitcher for years to come and I can not wait to see him pitch in the majors for you guys, I hope him all the success for your team, trust me, ive seen, and faced this kid, it might of ben riskey to you guys to pick a kid out of HS, but he is going to be amazing, he allowed 10 runs all year, had an era of something 0.65 and in 50 IP he had 100 k's, you guys drafted a great kid