Author Topic: Glove Recommendations?  (Read 1318 times)

Offline KyleScha

Glove Recommendations?
« Topic Start: May 27, 2006, 03:19:51 AM »
To all you guys who play baseball, I need a new glove and wanted some feedback to what I should look at.

Right now I'm using a $50 dollar rawlings and its fine for occasionally playing catch, but now I'm playing games, and its very uncomfortable and doesn't feel right.

I dont want to spend more than $150 or so, but would like something a little better. As far as IF/OF, my league isnt really good enough for it to matter, and I'll probably be switching from 2nd and RF all season anyway. My current  glove is a 12.5, Id like another one about the same size.

Anyway, just figured some of you guys might have some recommendations for me.

Thanks.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
Glove Recommendations?
« Reply #1: May 31, 2006, 11:39:03 AM »
Actually, I find that the selection of glove makes a huge difference...

When I'm not catching, I am usually playing 3B or 2B.  I have tried a few gloves over the years and the new one I bought for this year is the best I've had since my IF glove in high-school.  I searched and searched for the perfect glove, and while I haven't found the perfect one yet, I have found one that is close.  

Wilson A2000.  10 1/2 inch glove with an open-net pocket.

I prefer (and Rawlings even recommends) smaller gloves when you are playing infield.  If you're playing 2B, you'll want a smaller glove, it makes for easy transfers and you won't be searching for theball in a large glove when trying to turn a double-play - an essential part of playing 2B.  Unfortunately, this will compromise your OF positions, but the smaller glove is (almost) essential for 2B.

If you've been playing softball for a while, you can use your softball mitt fort the outfield, they're essentially the same thing.

Where do you play?  What league?

Offline KyleScha

Glove Recommendations?
« Reply #2: June 01, 2006, 09:23:58 PM »
I'm just playing in the Babe Ruth Senior league (16-19, I'm 19) its not very serious and most players arent very good. I played 2nd for the first time in a while, and I did ok. I didnt get any ground balls (only played 3 innings) but I did feel fairly comfortable there. I guess I should get a shorter glove and use it for IF, and use my longer one for outfield.

And I wish we could turn double plays in this league. Some of these people that play are terrible. I'm not hot prospect by any means, but I can at least do most things I need to do succesfully without making an error half the time.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
Glove Recommendations?
« Reply #3: June 02, 2006, 01:17:22 PM »
Kyle,

I currently play in an over 28 league in Upstate New York - you wanna talk about guys who shouldn't be on the diamond?   :?

You could also go on rawlings.com and they have a "glove selector" program to help you pick the glove that's right for you.

When I finally had to give up on my old Rawlings glove I researched this project thoroughly and took it very seriously.  My new glove had to be like my old one - it just had to be.  I tried lots of different websites until I finally settled on a style.  Then, I went to some sporting goods stores in the area and tried the models that I located online and eventually settled on the Wilson A2000.  The only issue I have is at 10 1/2 inches, I still think the glove is a bit big.....

DelNatsFan

Glove Recommendations?
« Reply #4: June 27, 2006, 07:19:36 PM »
Not trying to sound sarcastic or condescending here, but is it a matter of your current glove maybe not being broken in enough? Sounds like it's rarely used. Maybe try some saddle soap or Rawlings Glovolium and really lay it on there thick. that should make it more workable for you.