Should Manny Acta be fired?

Yes
76 (67.3%)
No
18 (15.9%)
Ask me later in the year
19 (16.8%)

Total Members Voted: 104

Author Topic: Should Manny Acta be fired?  (Read 33645 times)

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
Re: Should Manny Acta be fired?
« Reply #500: June 06, 2009, 10:32:44 AM »
Hey, Chief.  Can you look back into the results of this poll and see the date Manny last garnered a "No" vote?   It seems like it has been at least a month that no has been sitting on 17.

Unfortunately no, I can't do that.

Offline Section214

« Reply #501: June 06, 2009, 10:40:13 AM »
YES

Offline Obed_Marsh

« Reply #502: June 06, 2009, 10:54:08 AM »
Chief: Can you tell us who voted No so they can be publicly taunted and humiliated?

I learned from the Jim Bowden interview that if the fans hate you, you will be fired.

Offline LetsGoNats

• We're Nat Gonna Take It!
« Reply #503: June 06, 2009, 02:37:49 PM »

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net

Offline LetsGoNats

• We're Nat Gonna Take It!
« Reply #505: June 06, 2009, 02:45:57 PM »
I just submitted

Persistence
Because Beating the 1962 Mets Ain't Gonna Be Easy

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #506: June 06, 2009, 03:39:10 PM »
a 1-1 ballgame...why is manny using 5 relievers when extra innings are possible?? Why does he use so many relievers every night??

I agree he uses too many, but last night I didn't find much to quarrel about. For example, Bergmann has been terrific in his one inning stints, but horrific when stretched to two.  Last night, he let a ball totally get away from him, drilling the batter in the ribs (that REALLY hurt, LOL) so Manny pulled him.  If Manny had let him stay in I would not have been surprised to see the whole thing blow up, and everyone would be saying how Manny should have pulled Bergmann.

Pulling Villone was dicey, you could argue he shouldn't have, but Sheffield had pwned us, and McDougal just blew him away completely.  So I'm okay with that one, given the result.

So yeah, he used up a lot of the pen through 9, but the reality was that the 'pen did its job last night.  They held the game in check for inning after inning, but unfortunately the offense was sleeping. 

Got2BNats

« Reply #507: June 06, 2009, 07:51:37 PM »
Points well stated especially regarding last nights game. Although I do think Manny over uses the bullpen at times..  Using 4 relievers when the game is close could lead trouble if we go into an extra inning situation. Don't know why Bergmann has difficulty with the 2nd inning..hopefully McCatty can work with him because he has been pretty dependable otherwise.

Offline nats2playoffs

« Reply #508: July 01, 2009, 12:04:08 AM »
ONE MORE MARLINS SWEEP SHOULD REQUIRE ACTA'S FIRING!!!

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #509: July 01, 2009, 12:06:24 AM »
bring it back, i like it. 

if we're going to do house cleaning i'd like to continue with manny and kearns tomorrow.  and the lerners should sell the team.  then we'll be on our way.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #510: July 01, 2009, 12:11:53 AM »
Manny Acta is an idiot. Clippard should have been allowed to finish the 7th. terrible decision to bring in Beimel to have that son of a nag walk the LH rookie Coghlan and then face Hanley and Cantu.

It's like he's trying to throw the games.

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #511: July 01, 2009, 12:13:54 AM »
Manny Acta is an idiot. Clippard should have been allowed to finish the 7th. terrible decision to bring in Beimel to have that son of a nag walk the LH rookie Coghlan and then face Hanley and Cantu.

It's like he's trying to throw the games.

Do you ignore the two things that happened before Beimels walk? I dislike taking Clippard out as much as you but not only Beimel but Zim and Clippard deserve some guilt with the walk and error.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #512: July 01, 2009, 12:15:24 AM »
Do you ignore the two things that happened before Beimels walk? I dislike taking Clippard out as much as you but not only Beimel but Zim and Clippard deserve some guilt with the walk and error.
yeah but Clippard wasn't even given a chance to pitch out of the inning. I like letting relievers pitch out of their own jams or give up their own runs. I hate when Acta brings in a reliever to give up someone else's runs.

When Clippard left the game we had the lead. Runner on 2nd with 1 out. Is it that inconceivable that he could have gotten 2 outs without letting a run to score?

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #513: July 01, 2009, 12:18:58 AM »
yeah but Clippard wasn't even given a chance to pitch out of the inning. I like letting relievers pitch out of their own jams or give up their own runs. I hate when Acta brings in a reliever to give up someone else's runs.

When Clippard left the game we had the lead. Runner on 2nd with 1 out. Is it that inconceivable that he could have gotten 2 outs without letting a run to score?

I agree with the whole, let relievers get out of their own jams, but he did pitch the inning before. I was going to try and say something smart by choosing someone else to face Hanley but I forgot how empty our bullpen is in skill.

It seems the remaining games, I only have a few things to look forward to:

1. Starters and getting quality starts / lasting long innings.
2. Young players like Zimmerman getting better
3. Newly acquired/called up players producing (i.e. Clippard getting a call and actually getting outs)

I just hope in the next outting Clippard can utilize his change more and not get into those close situations

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #514: July 01, 2009, 12:22:02 AM »
i'm excited to see morgan play, it will be nice if he can get on base a decent amount and steal some bases, something we lack big time

Offline 2IPAs

• Barbie luvs the Nationals!
« Reply #516: July 01, 2009, 07:34:08 AM »
Yes, I'm jumping on the bandwagon. This is just not Manny's time.

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #517: July 01, 2009, 07:49:20 AM »
I don't think the Nats are going to deal with Manny's situation until the offseason.

Offline blue911

« Reply #518: July 01, 2009, 08:56:22 AM »

We don't pay Zimmerman to play defense.

Offline CatsEye

• Very weird season -Creepy - What....
« Reply #519: July 01, 2009, 09:05:36 AM »
    :bag: The All-Star Break would be a good time to release Manny, and put in an interim manager......it is soooo time for that to happen......  :thumbs:                 :bag:

Offline blue911

« Reply #520: July 01, 2009, 02:19:11 PM »
Would the world end if Willingham and Zimmerman switched places in the batting order?

Offline Evolution33

• Blown Save, Win
« Reply #521: July 01, 2009, 02:27:57 PM »
Would the world end if Willingham and Zimmerman switched places in the batting order?

What you haven't heard about the WillaZim prophecy?

Offline blue911

« Reply #522: July 01, 2009, 02:30:25 PM »
What you haven't heard about the WillaZim prophecy?

Nope. Does it involve olive oil & virgins?

Offline Evolution33

• Blown Save, Win
« Reply #523: July 01, 2009, 02:33:36 PM »
Nope. Does it involve olive oil & virgins?

Yes but it also includes boiling and searing.

Offline CatsEye

• Very weird season -Creepy - What....
« Reply #524: July 01, 2009, 02:52:51 PM »
  :bag:   Yep, the world would end if Willingham and Ryan Z. switched. It would throw Dunn off; and it would throw off the pitching strategy to protect Ryan Z.   :popcorn:         :bag: