Author Topic: That's the final straw. D-Crab has to go.  (Read 5179 times)

Offline sportsfan882

Re: That's the final straw. D-Crab has to go.
« Reply #50: April 13, 2009, 10:22:26 PM »
Manny needs to let him do his thing. He could have pitched two innings and taken care of the HBP/HR/Horsecrap situation.
he definitely should have been allowed to finish the 6th. Hinckley should have pitched the 7th.

Ledezma over Beimel in the 8th though? seriously. that cost us the game.

MrMadison

« Reply #51: April 13, 2009, 10:23:00 PM »
Flores wasnt a product of our system though

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #52: April 13, 2009, 10:23:28 PM »
he definitely should have been allowed to finish the 6th. Hinckley should have pitched the 7th.

Ledezma over Beimel in the 8th though? seriously. that cost us the game.

Beimel is nails. A total pro.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #53: April 13, 2009, 10:25:07 PM »
eh, yeah, it would've been nice to see guzman make that routine throw over to first in the second inning.  k no sweat ... cabrera got a groundball the next play that could've been two, anderson hernandez, oh what do you know he botched it.  sure the velocity was a bit down today and he was his usual wild self, but damn dude he gave us a chance to win even if our defense was terrible.  i had phillies fans around me saying the same thing.  hopefully our pitching can come around as a whole AND OUR DEFENSE.
he wasn't very good at all though. yes, he kept us in the game but that was only because the offense produced.

I just don't see anything in D-Crab. Can you honestly tell me that you believe he would have an ERA under 4.50 if he made every start for the rest of the season?

Did you see his velocity? Most of his fastballs were like 88-89!

« Reply #54: April 13, 2009, 10:25:10 PM »
Beimel is nails. A total pro.

Really? Wasn't he the guy that gave up the walk off run the other night against the Braves?

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #55: April 13, 2009, 10:25:32 PM »
Flores wasnt a product of our system though
please. I just like players who help this team win games.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #56: April 13, 2009, 10:26:10 PM »
Really? Wasn't he the guy that gave up the walk off run the other night against the Braves?
yep. he has been so-so thus far for us. hasn't really got many hold opportunities though. :?

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #57: April 13, 2009, 10:26:12 PM »

I missed that game. But unless you are Brad Lidge on the Phillies, everyone has a bad day.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #58: April 13, 2009, 10:28:01 PM »
he wasn't very good at all though. yes, he kept us in the game but that was only because the offense produced.

I just don't see anything in D-Crab. Can you honestly tell me that you believe he would have an ERA under 4.50 if he made every start for the rest of the season?

Did you see his velocity? Most of his fastballs were like 88-89!

and the other day it 93-95.  today i saw three times at least he got to 90-91.  but his slider was working.  i bet when it heats up, so will his fastball.

i never said he was perfect (today or in general), but the defense behind him wasn't great and he gave us a chance and that's all you can ask for.  hell lannan/olsen/martis all gave up three runs or more in their starts (as did d-cab in his first go around), i'm just happy we had a starting pitcher give up only one earned run in an outing. 

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #59: April 26, 2009, 05:39:26 PM »
Since the season began, St. Claire has spoken to Cabrera. Manager Manny Acta has spoken to Cabrera. Acting general manager Mike Rizzo has spoken to Cabrera. All have expressed the same desire. They want to see his greatest virtue, even if it causes some games where he walks eight or nine guys.

"He communicated to us he's trying to throw more strikes, but the fact is he's still a little bit on the wild side and then the velocity is not the same," Acta said. "So Randy is trying to work with him and convince him to go back to his old self and let the ball fly. Because he'll be more effective throwing in the mid-90s like he used to. And it's there. We've seen it. We saw it [Saturday] in one or two at bats when he was a little bit angry and let the ball fly."

Acta said that, for now, Cabrera's spot in the rotation remains secure. "He's not here on a tryout basis. We'll keep working with him and be patient, and if something is to be done, we'll do it later. But I don't think two, three starts will determine what we'll do with him right away. We're going to try to convince him, and Randy will keep working with him, but we're not day-to-day with him."

Q: I was looking at the scoreboard readings for velocity, but what were you charting him at?

Well, 89, 91, that's what I saw. But I'm looking at the mechanics of it. But in my mind, I know that velocity is still there. But he will have to make up his mind to get back to where he was. I don't know whether he's just been wild for so long that he feels this is a way back. But I'm just guessing. Because I've talked and talked to him and he doesn't tell you a whole lot.

Q: Right, that's why I'm asking you what to make of all this.

Yeah, well he doesn't say much. He doesn't say much to me either. It's something that he will have to decide on what he wants to do, and right now I think the decision is, I'm gonna try to throw strikes. It's obvious, because you see it. And we've been going over video, so he knows exactly what the delivery looks like when he's going real strong and what it looks like when he's not. And there's a huge difference. A huge difference. That one at bat to David Wright, he was close
Chico has a whole blog entry on Cabrera's vanishing velocity: http://voices.washingtonpost.com/nationalsjournal/2009/04/the_fireballer_without_the_fir.html

Offline JMUalumni

« Reply #60: April 26, 2009, 05:53:51 PM »
Ladson had an article on nationals.com about it too, not as in depth.  I went back and looked at the pitches from the Wright at-bat and Manny is right, he was getting about 2 MPH faster against Wright than any other time in the game.  I could see where Cabrera would think throwing slower would help his control, but it isn't AND it is taking away the only weapon he has.  They need to get him to do whatever he did against David Wright yesterday in that one at-bat, because he was hitting 93 MPH.

On the flip side of things, it is troubling to see that Acta/St. Claire/Rizzo are willing to allow Cabrera to walk 8-9 guys (even if it is an exaggeration, it is telling) for the added velocity.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #61: April 26, 2009, 09:15:37 PM »
If D-Cab doesn't have his usual stuff, what's the point in keeping him around.

Certainly isn't stellar control or overwhelming mental prowess. 

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #62: April 26, 2009, 09:36:29 PM »
Because we paid 2+ million for him :?

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #63: April 26, 2009, 09:41:04 PM »
Because someone has to pull the darts out of the clubhouse ceiling

If D-Cab doesn't have his usual stuff, what's the point in keeping him around.

Certainly isn't stellar control or overwhelming mental prowess. 

Offline eagleskins

• BANNED FOREVER
« Reply #64: April 26, 2009, 10:58:58 PM »
This guy is the biggest bum on the team.  Just cut bait with this guy. 

Offline Natskins

« Reply #65: April 27, 2009, 12:14:03 PM »
Sad that they're trying to "get him back to where he was," when I thought the point of signing him in the first place was they thought they could straighten him out.

Now we've lowered the bar, where we're simply asking him to just suck a little bit less than he does now.

Offline NatsDad14

« Reply #66: April 27, 2009, 12:29:07 PM »
low velocity, high walks

or

decent velocity, high walks

This should not be a tough choice for Cabrera.

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #67: April 27, 2009, 12:34:42 PM »
DFA/cut this jackass already.  He's got nothin.

Balester or Stammen couldn't be that much worse.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #68: April 27, 2009, 12:35:42 PM »
DFA/cut this jackass already.  He's got nothin.

Balester or Stammen couldn't be that much worse.

and cheaper!

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #69: April 27, 2009, 12:39:37 PM »
and cheaper!

i know who would love that 8)

Offline Natskins

« Reply #70: April 27, 2009, 01:01:40 PM »
The pitching-starved O's gave up on him. We really should have known better.

Online aspenbubba

« Reply #71: April 27, 2009, 01:03:59 PM »
and cheaper!

He is paid regardless of whether he is on the team

Offline PC

« Reply #72: April 27, 2009, 02:22:10 PM »
Could someone explain to me how signing Derek Lowe for 4 years, $60 million would negatively affect "the Plan", as opposed to trolling the bargain bin for Daniel Cabrera?

One quality pitcher would irrevocably set "the Plan" back?

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #73: April 27, 2009, 02:30:20 PM »
You really want to pay a 35 year old starting pitcher $60 Million over 4 years? He'll be almost 40 at the end of the contract.

Our starting pitching is doing quite well other than Crab. As soon as we find a replacement for him we will be money.

Offline Evolution33

• Blown Save, Win
« Reply #74: April 27, 2009, 02:32:30 PM »
Could someone explain to me how signing Derek Lowe for 4 years, $60 million would negatively affect "the Plan", as opposed to trolling the bargain bin for Daniel Cabrera?

One quality pitcher would irrevocably set "the Plan" back?

The media reported the Nationals were "interested" in Lowe. They probably asked him to enter negociations and he decided he would rather pitch for a team that might win.