Author Topic: Check Out This Cool News I Just Got!  (Read 1366 times)

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
Check Out This Cool News I Just Got!
« Topic Start: April 03, 2009, 03:50:40 PM »
Here's the e-mail I just received from the manager of the team I play for:

Guys,While we do not yet know our full schedule, I do know that thanks to the efforts of Shaskys manager Tony G. we will play against the Shaskys on Sunday May 17th at 5 pm at Doubleday Field in Cooperstown. Mark that date on your calendars.

Ed

Consider it marked down, coach!

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
Re: Check Out This Cool News I Just Got!
« Reply #1: April 03, 2009, 05:03:54 PM »
Here's the e-mail I just received from the manager of the team I play for:

Consider it marked down, coach!

Tony Gwynn coaches them?   ;) :roll: :lol:

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #2: May 17, 2009, 10:36:31 AM »
Less than three hours before I leave for Cooperstown.  Only a 1 hour drive but I'm going early to take in the new Hank Aaron exhibit at the Hall and grab a brew at the Doubleday Cafe before the game.

Oh, and I just got word a few minutes ago that I'm starting behind the dish and hitting second.  Please know that if I die tomorrow, I lived a dream of mine for a day:  I played on the ONE field I've always wanted to play on and I played that day at the ONE position I love to play more than any other.  Life is grand today.

Offline blue911

« Reply #3: May 17, 2009, 08:08:18 PM »
Updates?

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #4: May 17, 2009, 11:42:57 PM »
Lost the game but I will give a recap when I'm not exhausted.  Needless to say, it was the best day of baseball I ever had.  Sounds like it was better than watching/listening to the Nats today   :?

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #5: May 18, 2009, 10:39:34 AM »
Lost the game but I will give a recap when I'm not exhausted.  Needless to say, it was the best day of baseball I ever had.  Sounds like it was better than watching/listening to the Nats today   :?
Doing taxes with an abacus underneath a hornet's nest in the Sahara is better than watching the Nationals. But it sounds like you had an awesome, awesome, awesome day, and I'm looking forward to the recap. Also, do you think anyone there would be good in a major league bullpen?

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #6: May 18, 2009, 11:07:33 AM »
O.k. so we lost the game 13-9.  It was 2-2 in the fourth when the defense soured and we allowed 11 runs to go down 13-2.  We scraped our way back to 13-9 but that was as close as we got.

I went 0-for-2 with a walk and a sac-fly.  The sac-fly was the hardest hit ball I had in probably three years, destined for a gap in just about any other circumstance but they were playing "no doubles" defense and the left fielder made a great play to get it.  I also scored two runs and had two RBI.

The best moment for me was a catch I made in the first inning.  Runners on 2nd and 3rd, two out and we already let in two runs.  The batter pops up and the umpire immediately calls. "foul ball - out of play."  I decided that it was close enough to make a try at it.  So I sprint toward it (well, as fast as a fat, 38-year old catcher can "sprint"), left my feet and made a head first diving catch. 

There is a man who owns a shop that shares the same parking lot who takes photos of all the games played at Doubleday and he's been doing so for nearly 25 years.  He said that in all of his years covering games from little league on up to professional baseball players, he's never seen a catcher make a play that good.  He went so far as to say it was probably the best catch he's ever seen at the field.  The bummer is that the umpire got in the way of the shot therefore I really can't be seen in the shot.  Once he posts them on his website I'll post the link.  He got plenty of other shots, both action shots and other candid shots. 

After the game I went out to the pitchers mound and just lied down to soak in the last moments.  Then we went to the Brooklyn Brewery, downed a few Old Slugger Pale Ales and I didn't make it home until around 11:00 p.m.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #7: May 18, 2009, 12:38:00 PM »
After the game I went out to the pitchers mound and just lied down to soak in the last moments.  Then we went to the Brooklyn Brewery, downed a few Old Slugger Pale Ales and I didn't make it home until around 11:00 p.m.

How about getting to the important stuff - a review of "Old Slugger"?

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #8: May 18, 2009, 12:39:10 PM »
Put it in the beer thread, Tom

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #9: May 18, 2009, 12:39:54 PM »
Put it in the beer thread, Tom

Sorry, I'm easily distracted.

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #10: May 18, 2009, 12:41:06 PM »
Brooklyn Beer - always one of my favorites.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #11: May 18, 2009, 12:50:15 PM »

Very rich taste for a Pale Ale, I was pleasantly surprised. 

I will admit to not being much of a beer connoisseur, though, so don't take my word for it.  I can only suggest that as a fan of the game you should take a trip to Cooperstown and try it for yourself.  If you need to make an excuse, there's great fishing in the Adirondacks and you could easily do both in a weekend.

Offline saltydad

« Reply #12: May 18, 2009, 04:37:40 PM »
Minty, sounds like an absolutely wonderful day! Dreams rarely come to fruition as this one has for you. So happy for you. Have to quaff a few in honor of your catch next time you're down here.

Offline CALSGR8

« Reply #13: May 18, 2009, 08:11:17 PM »
Or arrange a trip to Cooperstown with the WNFF crew?  Nah, its hard enough to arrange everyone to meet for a game much less than a trip like that.  Oh well, I was just dreamin' of Cooperstown!

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #14: May 19, 2009, 07:47:22 AM »
Or arrange a trip to Cooperstown with the WNFF crew?  Nah, its hard enough to arrange everyone to meet for a game much less than a trip like that.  Oh well, I was just dreamin' of Cooperstown!

In all seriousness, if we could get enough Nats fans together to play a game (men or women - doesn't matter) I'd be willing to arrange a game at Doubleday Field.  Cost is pretty reasonable I think for use of the field.  I'll have to check with my connection.

Anyway, if anyone's interested, the photos from the game are posted and there are way too many for me to list here, but "the catch" is on the very first page of this link.  It's the second shot in the bottom row, right behind the umpire.   :?

http://www.photoreflect.com/pr3/thumbpage.aspx?e=4731129

Offline blue911

« Reply #15: May 19, 2009, 08:39:12 AM »
Several nice shots of your elbow. You ought to get into modeling.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #16: May 19, 2009, 08:49:08 AM »
In all seriousness, if we could get enough Nats fans together to play a game (men or women - doesn't matter) I'd be willing to arrange a game at Doubleday Field.  Cost is pretty reasonable I think for use of the field.  I'll have to check with my connection.

I've thought about that before, but as Cal said planning with this bunch can be problematic :P

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #17: May 19, 2009, 08:50:50 AM »
Several nice shots of your elbow. You ought to get into modeling.

I've got an agent for my elbow, he says it's all the rage on the internet.

Offline blue911

« Reply #18: May 19, 2009, 09:29:48 AM »
I've thought about that before, but as Cal said planning with this bunch can be problematic :P

Can we play at the Red Loft?

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #19: May 19, 2009, 10:19:38 AM »
Incidentally, the site allows you to create an album online so I did.  Here's the link:

http://www.photoreflect.com/pr3/viewalbum.aspx?a=592521

Password is:     Nats1317

I appear in almost 130 pictures he took.   :shock:

Offline CALSGR8

« Reply #20: May 19, 2009, 10:27:49 AM »
Can we play at the Red Loft?

That's not Tom saying that?  I had to do a double take on that post! 

Only if we have something that could identify ourselves someway.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #21: May 20, 2009, 10:39:38 PM »
Just a few shots of my day: