Author Topic: 4/2/09 Unofficial Gameday Thread: Nationals @ Phillies  (Read 3673 times)

Offline sportsfan882

people aren't going to be happy but I think it's a near certainty that Dukes will not be a starting outfielder for this team on Opening Day. He struck out again today. That makes 20 Ks for him in 48 ST ABs (42% whiff rate).

Meanwhile, Kearns and Willingham both continue to stroke it.

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
HAHA Home Run for Cintron!

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
Dukes may just be a slow starter -- he was horrendous to start the year last year -- they're not going to send him down I would imagine -- they'll need to at least platoon him till he get his rhythm/stroke going ...

Offline sportsfan882

Home Run for Guzman! ... Good grief!
yeah that was after Beimel blew the lead in the bottom of the 7th. 11-10 nats is that it?

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
Nope 12-10 Nats -- NJ just walked ...

Offline sportsfan882

oh, both Guz and Cintron homered in the 8th. wow. Good to see Guz finally hitting the ball well.

let's see if the pen can blow it. Joel is due to throw. he may close it.

Offline hammondsnats

haha so we're up 12-10?!?!

it's okay beimel has been solid in his limited appearances this spring, he's gonna be a STUD for us.  cintron may have made his case to make the team, he's batting over .300.

Offline blue911

Dukes may just be a slow starter -- he was horrendous to start the year last year -- they're not going to send him down I would imagine -- they'll need to at least platoon him till he get his rhythm/stroke going ...

Nah. They said in today's Post he's pulling his head off the ball. A little cage time with Rick Eckstein should straighten that out.

Offline sportsfan882

unreal, Dukes Ks again. twice today.

Look at his numbers over the last week or so.

4/2: 0/2, 2 Ks
4/1: 0/3, 3 Ks
3/31: 0/2
3/30: 0/4, 3 Ks
3/28: 0/3, K

Total: 0/14, 9 Ks

Offline sportsfan882

Joel Ks two in the 8th in a perfect inning. 12-10 WSH leads

Offline Air Zimmerman

• best 3b in the business
people aren't going to be happy but I think it's a near certainty that Dukes will not be a starting outfielder for this team on Opening Day. He struck out again today. That makes 20 Ks for him in 48 ST ABs (42% whiff rate).

say it ain't so! i don't know how i'm going to deal with that if it happens. Dukes is in a severe slump right now, but he'll break out of it.

Offline sportsfan882

say it ain't so! i don't know how i'm going to deal with that if it happens. Dukes is in a severe slump right now, but he'll break out of it.

don't fret. he'll still get plenty of playing time. but it would be kind of stupid to give him a starting spot while AK and Willingham are hitting well and he is not.

Offline ronnynat

Nah. They said in today's Post he's pulling his head off the ball.

I can't believe some pro players still have that problem.

Offline hammondsnats

the thing is all of our outfielders are going to get playing time.  i wish they'd realize they are all going to get starts and they can form one of the best collective groups in all of baseball if they continue to work and not feel gloom.

Offline Air Zimmerman

Ryan has picked the perfect time to start raking! 3/3 3 RBI 3 RUNS HR! everyone else seems to be following suit too- except for Dukes, but i'm 110% confident he'll come around.

Offline blue911

It happens to everybody, generally it happens because they're trying to kill the ball.

Offline hammondsnats

yeah, but i'm of the belief, hitting major league pitching is the hardest thing to do in sports.

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
Bang Zoom nages!

Offline ronnynat

yeah, but i'm of the belief, hitting major league pitching is the hardest thing to do in sports.

Exactly. So if you're a Major League hitter and you're pulling your head, you're just making your job that much harder and the pitcher's that much easier.

Offline blue911

Exactly. So if you're a Major League hitter and you're pulling your head, you're just making your job that much harder and the pitcher's that much easier.

But it is one of easiest things to correct. Basically all they are saying is he's opening his front side to soon. Stay back, let the ball get deeper in the zone. Works the same at all levels.

Offline JMUalumni

Ryan has picked the perfect time to start raking! 3/3 3 RBI 3 RUNS HR! everyone else seems to be following suit too- except for Dukes, but i'm 110% confident he'll come around.

I hope they can get that long term deal done before the season starts, but it looks unlikely.  I have a feeling the price is going to go up quite a bit after this season.

Offline ronnynat

But it is one of easiest things to correct. Basically all they are saying is he's opening his front side to soon. Stay back, let the ball get deeper in the zone. Works the same at all levels.

It could be that, or it could be that he's just not keeping his head down (eye on the ball), which is not so easy to correct.

Offline Air Zimmerman

17 HITS- BRAVO NATS! now keep it going and carry that offense to opening day!

Offline sportsfan882

Great job by Joel and Mock preserving the win.

Mock lowered his ST ERA under 4. He better make the team over some bum like Tavarez.

Offline hammondsnats

Great job by Joel and Mock preserving the win.

Mock lowered his ST ERA under 4. He better make the team over some bum like Tavarez.

yeah on washington times blog, zuckerman thinks tavarez will make the team over mock (who has no options remaining) ... i'd be pissed as hell.