Author Topic: 10th overall pick  (Read 12577 times)

Offline DPMOmaha

Re: 10th overall pick
« Reply #25: April 03, 2009, 11:44:29 PM »
Watched A.J. Morris of Kansas State pitch tonight.  He's got better numbers than SS in just about every category except probably K's in a better conference.  Just thought I'd throw it out there.  (Not saying we should take him over SS.)  He had something like a 0.39 ERA going into tonights game.  He gave up 3 in the second and nothing after that.  Went 7.2 dominant innings. 

Online KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #26: April 25, 2009, 09:27:03 PM »
This guy has us taking Poythress in two iterations of his mock draft:

http://www.minorleagueball.com/2009/4/21/847653/2009-amateur-draft-mock-2-round-one

It's a fanpost on a blog, so take it FWIW.

Sickels says this about Poythress:

Rich Poythress, 1B, Georgia
    One of the best power hitters in college ball this year, Poythress is hitting .411/.511/.861 with 20 homer, 30 walks, and 24 strikeouts in 158 at-bats for the Bulldogs. He rates behind Ackley as a prospect because Ackley can run well enough to play the outfield. Although not quite in the Justin Smoak category, Poythress has a legitimate bat with power and strike zone judgment, and is another "safe" choice for several clubs.

http://www.minorleagueball.com/2009/4/23/850601/more-interesting-college-hitters

Sounds pretty good.  If Smoak is the next Teixeira, maybe Poythress is Justin Morneau.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #27: April 25, 2009, 09:32:29 PM »
He could be a good one. Probably doesn't have a super high ceiling but could be a solid starter.

I wonder how long it would take him to move through the Minors. We'd have a log jam at 1B in the system if we took him.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #28: April 26, 2009, 12:22:34 PM »
Good Marrero insurance.

Offline NFA Brian

• Nationals Farm Authority
« Reply #29: April 26, 2009, 12:41:42 PM »
There is one guy I am anxious to see start throwing in game situations. RHP Tanner Scheppers. He pitched for Fresno State in 2008 and was projected to be a top 10 guy (some drafts had the Nationals selecting him). He slid to the second round and the Pirates due to a shoulder injury. He's drawn raves from scouts in side sessions in 2009 and is scheduled to start indy ball next month. He could be an intriguing option at #10

Offline JMUalumni

« Reply #30: May 04, 2009, 02:17:13 PM »
Sacramento, Calif.: We all know that Strasburg is going #1 in the upcoming draft, but who are some guys the Nats are targeting at #10? This is such an important draft for a team that still has a lot of growing to do within the farm system. Thanks, Chico.

Chico Harlan: Regarding the tenth pick, the team's plans are pretty simple. They're going to make a list of the 10 best players available, and take the highest one remaining by the time their pick comes along. Rizzo was very straightforward about this. Position, he said, doesn't matter. In the past, Rizzo has very much leaned toward college players, though, and it wouldn't surprise me if that's still a consideration. Dating back to his time in Arizona, Rizzo showed a very good track record with college guys, and given that the Nats need help -- quickly -- at the big league level, they might be wise to find somebody who can be in the big leagues within, say, two years, rather than within four.

Offline CJames0569

« Reply #31: May 05, 2009, 09:03:48 AM »
Hopefully Kyle Gibson P out of Missouri can fall to the 10th pick, the kid went to my high school and he is really good. Not to mention a true high character kid, I wish him nothing but the best wherever he lands.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #32: May 05, 2009, 09:16:08 AM »
Kyle Gibson would be a great pick.  I don't know if they'll take another Mizzou kid but he'd be a good one.  He hasn't been as dominant this year as he was last year but he's still a heck of a pitcher.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #33: May 14, 2009, 03:57:39 PM »
Jim Callis's latest speculation from his BA chat ("they" being the Nats and "cheap" being slot):

" We're hearing they will go cheap and cut a deal there. Hearing names like Kennesaw State RHP Chad Jenkins, North Carolina HS C Wil Myers and New Jersey HS OF Mike Trout."

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #34: May 14, 2009, 04:01:29 PM »
Jim Callis's latest speculation from his BA chat ("they" being the Nats and "cheap" being slot):

" We're hearing they will go cheap and cut a deal there. Hearing names like Kennesaw State RHP Chad Jenkins, North Carolina HS C Wil Myers and New Jersey HS OF Mike Trout."

Nats and being cheap in the same sentence?  Big shocker 8)

Hopefully it's a solid pick.

Offline NFA Brian

« Reply #35: May 14, 2009, 04:10:42 PM »
Jenkins - Low 90s FB. Hard mid-80s slider. Developing a change. I'm not enamored with him there. More a back of the 1st rd guy

Myers - Catcher who may grow out of the position but can/has played 3B/SS as well as pitched. If he moves off of catcher, I'd imagine it would be 3B. Good solid bat with power. While some might call him a reach at #10, he isn't too far below that IMO (maybe #15ish)

Trout - NJ player so Dana Brown would be happy ... CF is a questionable position for him moving forward but like Myers (as a CA) not a foregone conclusion he can't do it. Solid bat. Good speed. Probably in the mid-20s pick wise IMO

If those are the three, I'd prefer Myers

Offline NatsDad14

« Reply #36: May 14, 2009, 04:29:49 PM »
If the Nats do that, that is a serious step back to their plan. If they want to get cheap, why not do it on a guy like Leake or Polythress instead of another catcher in a system filled with catchers.

Offline NFA Brian

« Reply #37: May 14, 2009, 05:22:58 PM »
If the Nats do that, that is a serious step back to their plan. If they want to get cheap, why not do it on a guy like Leake or Polythress instead of another catcher in a system filled with catchers.

Leake is perhaps slightly ahead of Myers or Trout. I would not take Poythress over either one.

Offline NatsDad14

« Reply #38: May 14, 2009, 05:37:27 PM »
Leake is perhaps slightly ahead of Myers or Trout. I would not take Poythress over either one.

Based off of what I heard on that chat, they were talking about Myers going to the Tigers or Red Sox. That is too much of a reach. Leake is a top 15 guy so it wouldn't be that much of a reach, plus he profiles to me as a right handed John Lannan.

Offline NFA Brian

« Reply #39: May 14, 2009, 06:25:57 PM »
Tigers select at #9, the pick before the Nationals

Offline NatsDad14

« Reply #40: May 14, 2009, 06:40:59 PM »
Tigers select at #9, the pick before the Nationals

LOL@ me. I thought they were picking around 15-20. The Red Sox were linked to him so there is a chance he falls.

Offline JMUalumni

« Reply #41: June 01, 2009, 04:39:32 PM »
The team has scouts trying to decide which players best fit the club. But one thing is certain -- don't look for the Nationals to draft a position player until at least the second round. According to a source, the club doesn't feel there is a hitter in the high school or college ranks who is first-round-worthy.

There is no question the Nationals are going to select Strasburg with the first pick. The only question is, can they sign him? Rizzo and Strasburg's advisor, Scott Boras, have a good relationship. Only time will tell.

Also look for the Nationals to tab a pitcher with the 10th pick in the Draft. Washington doesn't expect to select right-handed pitcher Aaron Crow, its first-round pick last year. The team expects him to go earlier in the first round.

The Nationals could select right-hander Chad Jenkins of Kennesaw State, who is 8-1 with a 2.54 ERA and hurled 98 strikeouts in 92 innings. Jenkins was the Atlantic Sun Conference's Pitcher of the Year this season.

The Nationals continue to be short on hitters and loaded with pitchers. From the offensive end, Michael Burgess, Danny Espinosa, Chris Marrero and Justin Maxwell are the only hitters who could make an impact on the Major League side soon. But the shortage of bats does not mean the team will select nothing but hitters after the first round. The team still wants to add more pitching to the organization.

http://washington.nationals.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090531&content_id=5079516&vkey=news_was&fext=.jsp&c_id=was

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #42: June 01, 2009, 05:30:41 PM »
good. there are no hitters worth taking with the 10th pick.

It kind of sucks because we need more hitters badly but we shouldn't reach for a guy just to do it.

Take the best college arm on the board (Leake, Gibson, etc.). Jenkins looks good but his mechanics look a little strange to me.

Offline JMUalumni

« Reply #43: June 01, 2009, 05:37:46 PM »
Jenkins looks good but his mechanics look a little strange to me.

+1.  The arm motion reminds me a lot of Bergmann's, only Jenkins seems to generate more power.  He also appears to rely too much on his upper body motion and has very little hip separation.  With that amount of stress on the arm, injuries are sure to follow soon.  Combine this with the fact that he wasn't even the ace for his own team and I would pass at #10 on Jenkins.

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
« Reply #44: June 01, 2009, 07:13:22 PM »
if Grant Green miraculously drops to 10, the Nats had better take him.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #45: June 02, 2009, 10:30:53 AM »

Hell yah!

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #46: June 02, 2009, 05:31:22 PM »
please take Mike Leake. :pray:

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
« Reply #47: June 02, 2009, 06:20:09 PM »
I really want to get a pitcher at #10 who we'll develop at an appropriate pace instead of fast tracking him like we've done with Martis, Zimmermann, and will do with Strasburg.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #48: June 02, 2009, 07:41:48 PM »

Nats.com says the Nats don't have any position players in their top 10. It doesn't matter what happens - they are taking a pitcher :(

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #49: June 02, 2009, 07:44:08 PM »

Did he have a good season?