Author Topic: 3/24/09 Unofficial Gameday Thread: Nationals @ Orioles  (Read 2046 times)

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
Bang Zoom nages!

Offline hammondsnats

The O's should be embarassed the Nats are even in this game let alone winning it.  Not a single projected starter other than Martis and that's only if he cracks the rotation.

This is a lineup comprised of guys who will most likely be in AA or AAA in this organization (which is to say high-A or AA at best in most others).

true.  cintron is terrible, patterson/eldred/casto is a AAAA, wmp won't be a nat in a week, maxwell/bernadina/desmond will be back in AAA soon.  bergmann most likely will be in the pen, mock who knows, and as you said martis will most likely be in the rotation.

Offline JMUalumni

It looks like Ryan Wagner may be on a successful road to recovery.  Given, he probably isn't ready to be relied on yet, but given a month or two at AAA, he could be an option for the ailing bullpen.  Excluding the March 5th shelling by the Tigers (his 2nd appearance of spring), he has pitched 5 games without letting up a run, 3 without letting up a hit.  He has induced many ground balls and stands at 13-2 (GO-FO) for ST.  A guy that could force the ground ball like that could end up being very useful, assuming he doesn't give up the long ball.

Offline DPMOmaha

my dad says martis looked much better than zimmermann - and obviously with the numbers - it's pretty obvious.  sure it was his first time seeing NN pitch, but said martis has been hitting spots better than jordan (but said he could tell jordan's stuff was electric). 

he also made a funny joke - why not just leave WMP in ft. lauderdale.
"Everybody on the bus, quick, quick, let's go.  Bus driver, we're ready!"

Offline hammondsnats

"Everybody on the bus, quick, quick, let's go.  Bus driver, we're ready!"

Haha solid flick. 

Not a lot of people in the crowd on Saturday knew Zimmermann had the flu, I had to call and tell them so.  Gotta like how NN has the toughness to battle sickness to pitch.  Parents also said the Space Coast is a better park than the O's park.  Much better.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
Has Beimel pitched for us yet?

I think he threw off a mound and will go later this week, if I remember correctly.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
I think he threw off a mound and will go later this week, if I remember correctly.

I heard he was still in negotiations with Playboy over his signature line of men's bedroom attire, bathrobes and the like.  This could take a week or so before he's ready to go. 

Offline Air Zimmerman

• best 3b in the business
Martis is the man. Shairon has been steady all spring training--he definitely deserves a spot in the rotation.

Offline ordfishfan

So, who do you think fills the outfiled starting day?  I thought Willingham was really impressing, then we don't see hime for a couple of days.  Maybe that is the club saying 'we have seen enough of you and don't want to risk injury'.  However, it clearly feels like they are not 'showcasing' him for a potential trade.

Offline Air Zimmerman

• best 3b in the business
So, who do you think fills the outfiled starting day?  I thought Willingham was really impressing, then we don't see hime for a couple of days.  Maybe that is the club saying 'we have seen enough of you and don't want to risk injury'.  However, it clearly feels like they are not 'showcasing' him for a potential trade.

THE OPENING DAY OUTFIELD IS DUNN, MILLEDGE, AND DUKES.

THE OPENING DAY OUTFIELD IS DUNN, MILLEDGE, AND DUKES.

Please pardon our resident troll, Ordfishfan. His penis goes flaccid anytime you mention the outfield and don't say "Elijah Dukes."

Bags

Parents also said the Space Coast is a better park than the O's park.  Much better.

The only ST game I caught last year was the Nats at Ft. Lauderdale.  It's old and it shows.  As isolated as they are down there and as old as their facilities are, I'm surprised they didn't jump into the Dodgers' old digs in Vero Beach ASAP and at any cost.

Offline UMDNats

Please pardon our resident troll, Ordfishfan. His penis goes flaccid anytime you mention the outfield and don't say "Elijah Dukes."

Though I think it will be Dunn, Milledge, Dukes.

Offline sportsfan882

Martis doesn't get nearly enough credit. What a fantastic spring for him. :clap:

19 IP 10 H 3 R 3 ER 4 BB 11 K (1-0, 1.42 ERA, 0.74 WHIP)

Acta would be wise to name him to the Big League rotation now to remove any doubt about him making it. He has earned the right to start for the team and I would even argue that he has outperformed both Daniel Cabrera and Scott Olsen. I would be freaking sick to my stomach if they say that Martis is "too young" and "needs more development in the minors".

The only ST game I caught last year was the Nats at Ft. Lauderdale.  It's old and it shows.  As isolated as they are down there and as old as their facilities are, I'm surprised they didn't jump into the Dodgers' old digs in Vero Beach ASAP and at any cost.

The O's, I'm sure, would love to move operations over to old Dodgertown in Vero where it sits empty. Vero, I'm sure, would probably not be too excited about that idea.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!

I agree with your showcasing comment.  If they had the thought to deal him, you would think they'd be putting him on the field as much as possible.  Still, Willingham has the rep of being a slow starter, you'd think they would want to get him more work than they have been.

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
I would love to see Ryan Wagner work his way back to healthy and be back in our bullpen. I always liked him a fwe years ago but its taken him awhile and if he can become reliable, we need him.

Offline JMUalumni

I would love to see Ryan Wagner work his way back to healthy and be back in our bullpen. I always liked him a fwe years ago but its taken him awhile and if he can become reliable, we need him.

According to Dr. Andrews, only 36% of pitchers can make a full recovery from surgery on a torn labrum.  This is in comparison to the 85% full recovery rate from Tommy Johns surgery.  Further, only about 3% of pitchers that suffer a torn labrum were eventually able to make a full recovery and return to the same level they were pitching at pre-injury.  Wagner underwent his surgery in June of 2007 and with the expected full recovery time of 18 months, one would expect that Wagner is just recently finishing up the final parts of his rehab (rebuilding his arm strength, breaking through scar tissue, etc.).  Wagner might not be one of the 3% that is restored to his original form, but it would sure be a gift if he could be one of those 36%.

Offline sportsfan882

He was never that good to begin with. Maybe he'll be better now than he was before.

He's got some good movement on his pitches but he's never been healthy long enough to really get established.

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
He was never that good to begin with. Maybe he'll be better now than he was before.

He's got some good movement on his pitches but he's never been healthy long enough to really get established.

With that being so, Id rather give him a shot than what we may have to be stuck with.

Offline JMUalumni

With that being so, Id rather give him a shot than what we may have to be stuck with.

Yeah same here.  A lot of the guys we are going to be seeing are fringe veterans that are getting a chance because we have very little MLB-ready pitching depth.  Wagner is a former first rounder, that has a mean slider (probably part of the reason he got injured), and that has a very good history of inducing the ground ball in his career.  Oh yeah, and he is only 26 years old.  If he is able to recover fully from the injury, then he still has plenty of room for growth.  He would be a great guy to eventually have come in when we need a double play to get out of an inning.  But yeah, it depends on if he recovers fully.

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
Yeah same here.  A lot of the guys we are going to be seeing are fringe veterans that are getting a chance because we have very little MLB-ready pitching depth.  Wagner is a former first rounder, that has a mean slider (probably part of the reason he got injured), and that has a very good history of inducing the ground ball in his career.  Oh yeah, and he is only 26 years old.  If he is able to recover fully from the injury, then he still has plenty of room for growth.  He would be a great guy to eventually have come in when we need a double play to get out of an inning.  But yeah, it depends on if he recovers fully.

well lets pray his injuries miraculously heal because I am worried for our bullpen :pray:

well lets pray his injuries miraculously heal because I am worried for our bullpen :pray:

+1