Author Topic: Stephen Strasburg Watch  (Read 99056 times)

Offline d_mc_nabb

Re: Stephen Strasburg Watch
« Reply #325: March 10, 2009, 08:38:57 PM »
Paranoia is the whole fun of draft mania. I too believe that Starsburg will be drafted, but  everybody loves a conspiracy theory.

« Reply #326: March 10, 2009, 08:43:56 PM »
Paranoia is the whole fun of draft mania. I too believe that Starsburg will be drafted, but  everybody loves a conspiracy theory.

As long as Strasburg is healthy, there probably isn't anymore clear cut and dry case at who the Nationals are going to pick. Conspiracy theories are stupid-- unless they involve Elvis or Aliens.

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #327: March 10, 2009, 08:45:30 PM »
They can do that in the 10th slot.  not at 1.  Actually, I don't think they should do it with the 10th slot either.
I don't either.  Take the BPA - possibly Kentrail Davis, which would be a huge risk of a signing.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #328: March 10, 2009, 08:46:18 PM »
why? If he doesn't sign we lose the pick.

Offline d_mc_nabb

« Reply #329: March 10, 2009, 08:47:01 PM »
As long as Strasburg is healthy, there probably isn't anymore clear cut and dry case at who the Nationals are going to pick. Conspiracy theories are stupid-- unless they involve Elvis or Aliens.

You get the point.

« Reply #330: March 10, 2009, 08:51:09 PM »
You get the point.

Of conspiracy theories? Not really. They serve no purpose other than to give three or four people the chance to act like they know what they are talking about and threaten to stand outside Nats Park in a four person protest. Good luck. That'll show'em. :lol:

Offline blue911

« Reply #331: March 11, 2009, 07:22:48 AM »
Ted Lerner and the Nationals were eviscerated in the national media for failing to sign Aaron Crow. Can you imagine the PR hit if the Nationals didn't draft & sign Strasburg?

« Reply #332: March 11, 2009, 07:58:38 AM »
Ted Lerner and the Nationals were eviscerated in the national media for failing to sign Aaron Crow. Can you imagine the PR hit if the Nationals didn't draft & sign Strasburg?

Not that it was the Lerner's fault, the Crow Retardation, but yes and that is one of the reasons it is going to get done guaranteed. Unless Strasburg is actually from the DR and isn't really named Strasburg, he is going to get rich fast and be a Major League player within a year or less.

Offline R-Zim#11

« Reply #333: March 11, 2009, 08:21:38 AM »
Not that it was the Lerner's fault, the Crow Retardation, but yes and that is one of the reasons it is going to get done guaranteed. Unless Strasburg is actually from the DR and isn't really named Strasburg, he is going to get rich fast and be a Major League player within a year or less.

June can't get here fast enough. The real-life Sidd Finch is ours for the taking. The scout who said that the Nationals are going to take Strasburg...the Lerners basically stating "F- this slotting crap!"...cannot wait to see Strasburg bringing that 100-mph cheese to DC.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #334: March 13, 2009, 01:56:36 PM »
9:00 PM EST tonight

Stephen Strasburg VS UNLV

Watch here: http://goaztecs.cstv.com/library/live-baseball.html

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #335: March 13, 2009, 01:58:40 PM »
why? If he doesn't sign we lose the pick.
Because you take the BPA no matter what.  Screw all the chickencrap.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #336: March 13, 2009, 02:06:47 PM »
June can't get here fast enough. The real-life Sidd Finch is ours for the taking. The scout who said that the Nationals are going to take Strasburg...the Lerners basically stating "F- this slotting crap!"...cannot wait to see Strasburg bringing that 100-mph cheese to DC.
I'd bet we could even work out a deal with Merrell if he insists on wearing a hiking boot.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #337: March 13, 2009, 02:07:35 PM »

especially when you never know how long it will take or even if a pick will even get to the major leagues

Offline R-Zim#11

« Reply #338: March 13, 2009, 02:10:12 PM »
I'd bet we could even work out a deal with Merrell if he insists on wearing a hiking boot.

Add a garter belt, breathe through the eyes...green jacket, gold jacket...who gives a s--t...
He can sacrifice a live chicken in the clubhouse for all I care!

He's soon going to be ours!

(For an added bonus, name all three movies referenced...)

Offline NFA Brian

• Nationals Farm Authority
« Reply #339: March 13, 2009, 02:14:26 PM »

Except in the case of the #10 pick, there is no 'do over' so it might make sense to tread cautiously into the draft eligible sophomore pool (Kentrail Davis or DJ LeMaheiu) given the fact they can head back to college for their junior year. Additionally, assuming that Strasburg is the choice at #1, I can see the Nationals shying away from a player with a huge price tag. Every team has a draft budget and I am not sure the Nationals are ready to devote $16-18M+ to two guys. That figure alone is bigger than most team's total budget.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #340: March 13, 2009, 02:19:30 PM »
Except in the case of the #10 pick, there is no 'do over' so it might make sense to tread cautiously into the draft eligible sophomore pool (Kentrail Davis or DJ LeMaheiu) given the fact they can head back to college for their junior year. Additionally, assuming that Strasburg is the choice at #1, I can see the Nationals shying away from a player with a huge price tag. Every team has a draft budget and I am not sure the Nationals are ready to devote $16-18M+ to two guys. That figure alone is bigger than most team's total budget.

Hopefully, they rolled some of what was allotted to crow into this year's budget.

Offline NFA Brian

• Nationals Farm Authority
« Reply #341: March 13, 2009, 02:23:08 PM »
Hopefully, they rolled some of what was allotted to crow into this year's budget.

That would be ideal. Don't get me wrong, I'm not suggesting they draft a 2nd round talent at #10 and pay him less than slot. I'm pointing out that it might be more likely we see a guy at right around slot (which was roughly $2M in 2008)

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #342: March 13, 2009, 02:25:45 PM »
You just have to throw more money at them than they could reasonably expect to get in the future.  Give them a real dilemma.  Make them ponder: "If I don't sign now, I might get much less than this in the future."

They still have a low ML payroll, so I don't see why this can't happen.  It doesn't even really hamper future negotiations because of the context.  Future picks can't use it as negotiation leverage unless the same circumstances come up.

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #343: March 13, 2009, 02:28:16 PM »
Disclaimer: I'm not advocating lunacy here, either.  If they feel like it'd be way too hard to sign Davis because of any red flags - like statements from his agent "advisor" that he wants to play in a certain place or that he's very likely to go back for his junior year - then they should definitely go for a safer pick. (read: safer, not a chickencrap pick ala Bryan Bullington)

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #344: March 13, 2009, 02:36:25 PM »
Add a garter belt, breathe through the eyes...green jacket, gold jacket...who gives a s--t...
He can sacrifice a live chicken in the clubhouse for all I care!

He's soon going to be ours!

(For an added bonus, name all three movies referenced...)
Hmmm...I know one of them is Major League.  I'm thinking one is Brewster's Millions.  I'm drawing a blank on the other one though. :-[

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #345: March 13, 2009, 05:11:55 PM »

I got this joke, even if the couch potatoes didn't.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #346: March 13, 2009, 05:20:01 PM »
I'm glad somebody did, sheesh!

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #347: March 13, 2009, 09:01:15 PM »
ugh, wtf. game is supposed to start right now but the stream isn't working

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #348: March 13, 2009, 09:11:58 PM »
SS strikes out the side in the first :az:

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #349: March 13, 2009, 09:32:46 PM »
Strasburgs a racist, he wont fit on this team. Get em outta here!