Author Topic: You guys see this?  (Read 7593 times)

Offline sportsfan882

Re: You guys see this?
« Reply #100: February 17, 2009, 05:39:53 PM »
all I'll say is this:

we can't keep them in the Minors forever, as much as some people may want that.

eventually they'll have to face big league competition, if they are worthy prospects.

I know some folks are nervous about prospects that they've never heard of, and would rather go out and get a bunch of "established players" (read: players that they HAVE heard of) instead, but if this team is truly set on building through the farm system, then the farm system is going to have to produce at some point. these guys are not just there just to be there, they are supposed to contribute to the Major League team at some point.

so it's time to see if Zimmermann can contribute to the Major League team. we can't keep him in the minors forever because we are scaerd to let him pitch since he's not an "established player".
:clap:

Spider will see the fruits of the system soon enough.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #101: February 17, 2009, 06:18:12 PM »
:clap:

Spider will see the fruits of the system soon enough.

I'm looking forward to it and when the tree bears fruit I'll enjoy them thoroughly. But I eat no fruit before its time (no homo :?).

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #102: February 17, 2009, 06:49:41 PM »
I'm looking forward to it and when the tree bears fruit I'll enjoy them thoroughly. But I eat no fruit before its time (no homo :?).

Me thinketh you doth protest too much.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #103: February 17, 2009, 09:39:36 PM »
:rofl: at the last three posts.

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #104: February 17, 2009, 10:06:05 PM »
whats the fruit?

Offline spidernat

« Reply #105: February 17, 2009, 10:11:24 PM »
whats the fruit?

Hey, I don't really care if the players are gay as long as they help the team to win a lot of games.

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #106: February 17, 2009, 10:14:30 PM »

Hey, I don't really care if the players are gay as long as they help the team to win a lot of games.

Not that there's anything wrong with that

MrMadison

« Reply #107: February 17, 2009, 11:22:50 PM »

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #108: February 17, 2009, 11:23:25 PM »
Not that there's anything wrong with that

No of course not

fixed.

Closely relates to:

"What the french toast?"

both equally hilarious  ;)

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #109: February 17, 2009, 11:31:23 PM »
Me thinketh you doth protest too much.
I, too, am a fan of the Bard!

Offline BBQ

• Not Werth it.
« Reply #110: February 17, 2009, 11:39:00 PM »
BBQ is confuzled

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #111: February 17, 2009, 11:44:35 PM »
were the hell did you come from bbq

Offline spidernat

« Reply #112: February 18, 2009, 08:39:37 AM »
were the hell did you come from bbq

The grill around a BBQ gets busy around this time of the year.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #113: February 18, 2009, 10:52:19 AM »

Do you think that's why Billy Beane has never presided over a WS winner?

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #114: February 18, 2009, 10:54:52 AM »
You guys are making it really hard for me to bite my tongue.  Must...  not...  crack...  wise

chiefrgs

« Reply #115: February 18, 2009, 02:02:27 PM »
Is this some kind of a joke?  The Nats already wasted plenty of money on the prospect that turned out to be 40 years old, why should they waste anymore on this bum?

Offline spidernat

« Reply #116: February 18, 2009, 02:04:18 PM »
That's nasty.  :rofl:

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #117: February 18, 2009, 02:14:24 PM »
That's nasty.  :rofl:

That's my favorite prank that no one has the guts to pull off :lol:

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #118: February 18, 2009, 03:05:03 PM »

My brother did it.

« Reply #119: February 19, 2009, 09:45:41 AM »
Sounds like Kasten ain't going to be taking no doo-doo:

From the NJ:

* Just at the very end of the conference call yesterday, the assembled media also asked Stan Kasten about his absent pitcher, Odalis Perez, who is currently holding out in hopes of a better contract.

"Our understanding is that he has an agreement which both MLB and the union considering binding, and we think the best course would be for [Perez] to come in and honor the agreement. I've known Odie a long time, he came up with me in Atlanta and he's had a nice career for himself. I think this would be a very ill-advised and foolish way for him to conduct the next part of his career."

Offline CJames0569

« Reply #120: February 19, 2009, 12:41:28 PM »

At random parties in college, especially at people's houses you just don't like, it gets pulled quite frequently...never done it myself though by my friends have

Offline JMUalumni

« Reply #121: February 20, 2009, 07:27:18 PM »
By Eric Seidman of FanGraphs

A couple of weeks ago I wrote here about the odd contract Odalis Perez signed with the Washington Nationals. The deal, non-guaranteed, would pay Perez just $850,000 if he ended up making the team. My major points of contention were that a) Perez has been eerily consistent over the last four seasons, putting up win values of +1.6, +1.4, +1.5, and +1.5 and b) Perez projected to be worth right around +1.5 wins again in 2009, a fair market value of around $6.5 mil. It also made little sense that Tim Redding, essentially the same age yet much less productive in the recent past, would garner a guaranteed deal worth three times the money.

Well, apparenty Odalis reads Fangraphs and agrees with my assessment because he is now in the process of holding out for a better deal. Okay, he probably has no idea about this site, but the timing sure seems like he does. Perez stated that the more he thought about the contract, the more it bothered him. He wants his work last season to be appreciated and feels he deserves a guaranteed spot in the rotation with at least a bit more money. Honestly, I can’t blame him.

However, I can blame him for reaching his epiphany at this juncture. If someone offers me a contract, I’m going to carefully think over my options as well as the terms and then make a decision. This situation has the feel to it that Odalis signed the first deal thrown his way after experiencing the harsh market and then realized after the fact he was taken advantage of. The situation also seems similar to a prima-donna actor who feels a part should be given to him without auditioning because he has delivered solid performances in past films. Perhaps the actor, and Perez, should receive guarantees sans auditions, but these are contractual terms to be negotiated before signing, not afterwards.

If Perez does have a deal considered binding by the MLB and the Players Association, the right thing to do would be to honor the deal and report to camp. What makes little sense here is that Perez has no offers from opposing teams, and the best deal he could conjure up involved a non-guaranteed $850K from the equivalent of a Quad-A team. What does he expect is going to happen? That he’ll captain the Dominican team to the WBC Championship and the Yankees will offer him a 2-yr/$8 mil guaranteed deal? This simply is not likely to occur. If Odalis Perez wants to play baseball this year he should honor the contract he signed. It may be a lowballing deal and he may be worth more, but he should have thought about these things prior to signing.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/my-bad-washington

Offline NatsTheFats

« Reply #122: February 20, 2009, 07:48:06 PM »

« Reply #123: February 20, 2009, 07:54:29 PM »
This is one subject that me and Boz both agree on: ignore his dumb ass and let him float.

MrMadison

« Reply #124: February 20, 2009, 09:18:15 PM »
This is one subject that me and Boz both agree on: ignore his dumb ass and let him float.

maybe he can get with a buscone that can change his age to 24 and his name to Felipe Hernandez.