Author Topic: Official 2009 Spring Training Thread  (Read 24191 times)

Offline HalfSmokes

Re: Official 2009 Spring Training Thread
« Reply #75: February 17, 2009, 11:49:51 AM »
What has been invented?

FACT: Zimmerman denied autographs at NatsFest due to "contractual obligations."
FACT: Zimmerman has showed up to Spring Training early the past three years.
FACT: Zimmerman is not working out with the team currently.
FACT: The Nationals need more of a presence in the community.
FACT: "Faces" on teams are a draw.
FACT: 2009 is going to be a tough and telling year.
FACT: We need the players to give it their all to improve this team and it's reputation.

I'm having a hard time seeing where invention took place.

FACT: he may not care. He may be holding out for a long term deal -if that isn't forth comming, the success or failure of the team off the field may not be of interest to him. If he doesn't want a long term deal and is just waiting for free agency, then he could probably care less what the team's reputation is. As for 'contractual obligations' he probably sold his autograph rights

Offline NatsTheFats

« Reply #76: February 17, 2009, 11:52:47 AM »
Zimmerman is simmering over his contract
I hope these rumours aren't true.  He knew last year that he was most likely going to be headed to arbitration.  I wonder if he's getting mentally prepared to be torn apart in the hearing this weekend---what a horrible system.  He missed 60 games and bats subpar until late into the season.  that being said, i hope he wins his arbitration. 

Offline blue911

« Reply #77: February 17, 2009, 11:53:27 AM »
exactly how many more plate appearances will Dukes get batting 3rd, instead of 5th? I mean, are we talking about losing 150 plate appearances just from batting 5th instead of 3rd, or what? and how much of a difference will it make in his run production capability?  and who pissed in your cheerios?

2008 NL averages.

Batting 3rd: 728.75 PA
Batting 5th: 695.5 PA

Offline R-Zim#11

« Reply #78: February 17, 2009, 11:54:58 AM »
I'm not saying that Zimmerman should bat 3rd, I just don't understand how the notion of batting 5th is so horrible for a player. somebody's gotta hit 5th. why not someone with a lot of power?  people react with rage @ the thought of Dukes hitting 5th, and other people react with horror at the thought of Zimmerman batting 5th.

I say let Bernadina bat 5th, freak it, since everyone else is too good for the job.  :rofl:

I've always liked the Zimmerman-Dukes-Dunn 3-4-5 line-up...

Offline NatsTheFats

« Reply #79: February 17, 2009, 11:56:13 AM »
FACT: he may not care. He may be holding out for a long term deal -if that isn't forth comming, the success or failure of the team off the field may not be of interest to him. If he doesn't want a long term deal and is just waiting for free agency, then he could probably care less what the team's reputation is. As for 'contractual obligations' he probably sold his autograph rights
what do you mean by a long term contract?  a deal to get him through to free agency?  or beyond that.  He said last year that he doesn't want to play for a perennial loser (washington).

Offline R-Zim#11

« Reply #80: February 17, 2009, 11:56:26 AM »
I hope these rumours aren't true.  He knew last year that he was most likely going to be headed to arbitration.  I wonder if he's getting mentally prepared to be torn apart in the hearing this weekend---what a horrible system.  He missed 60 games and bats subpar until late into the season.  that being said, i hope he wins his arbitration. 

From all accounts I have heard and read -- him simmering over his contract is just plain false. Everything that has been written and said is that there is still a good relationship.

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #81: February 17, 2009, 12:00:27 PM »
I've often heard it said that Zimmerman shouldn't be batting 3rd, and I have a vague understanding of why that is (or why people think it, anyway) but could someone explain it to me like I'm 5?  I love baseball, but I'm no expert on such matters.

Generally speaking, you want your best hitter batting 3rd which to me rules out Zim and Dukes.  I'd have Nick in the 3 hole and Dunn at cleanup.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #82: February 17, 2009, 12:00:54 PM »
what do you mean by a long term contract?  a deal to get him through to free agency?  or beyond that.  He said last year that he doesn't want to play for a perennial loser (washington).

he may also just want guarenteed money. Or if your right, and he wants to leave town, he may be waiting for free agency and may just not care about the team's reputation or standing in the community. Especially since his salary will be decided by an arbitrator now and not the front office's whims.

Offline NatsTheFats

« Reply #83: February 17, 2009, 12:01:12 PM »
I've always liked the Zimmerman-Dukes-Dunn 3-4-5 line-up...
johnson, dunn, zimmerman???  assuming we keep johnson and he stays healthy

« Reply #84: February 17, 2009, 12:10:07 PM »
I have not heard any of those issues. Even still -- they seem nit-picky to me. If that's the most we have to worry about, then I am really looking forward to the season.

Oh, I'm sorry. Since YOU haven't heard of any of these things then that must mean they are invented. Silly me, forgive my lack of understanding. :roll:

Some of them are nit-picking, but a lot of these are just common knowledge which should be built upon by the PR department. Getting this team together needs to start somewhere.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #85: February 17, 2009, 12:25:34 PM »
johnson, dunn, zimmerman???  assuming we keep johnson and he stays healthy
dukes, johnson, dunn, zimmerman, that's what I'd prefer when NJ is healthy.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #86: February 17, 2009, 12:32:14 PM »
Considering he is "The Face" he needs to be a little more active ...

I'm not sure he really has to 100% embrace a role like that that was the club's decision, not his.

Offline R-Zim#11

« Reply #87: February 17, 2009, 12:36:40 PM »
Oh, I'm sorry. Since YOU haven't heard of any of these things then that must mean they are invented. Silly me, forgive my lack of understanding. :roll:

Lighten up, Francis. I was merely stating a fact -- I hadn't heard of any of that stuff.

Some of them are nit-picking, but a lot of these are just common knowledge which should be built upon by the PR department. Getting this team together needs to start somewhere.

You're absolutely right, but it needs to start on the field. No one cares if Zimmerman is working 100-hour weeks doing everything imaginable in the community. It's a nice press release, sure, but if this team loses 100 games again -- it won't amount to dinkie-doo.

« Reply #88: February 17, 2009, 12:42:21 PM »
Lighten up, Francis. I was merely stating a fact -- I hadn't heard of any of that stuff.

Wisen up, Socrates. Just because someone says something you don't know doesn't mean they need to be accused of inventing it.

You're absolutely right, but it needs to start on the field. No one cares if Zimmerman is working 100-hour weeks doing everything imaginable in the community. It's a nice press release, sure, but if this team loses 100 games again -- it won't amount to dinkie-doo.

And your right, it does begin on the field-- which he isn't on due to PR and contractual bull. He pulls his annual early season slump I guarantee people are going to make a little more than a dinkie-doo about it.

Still, I smell most of this probably coming from his agent telling him what to do. I don't exactly like how it is being handled, because if he truly wants to be in DC, this situation isn't making it look like it. It makes him look all about the money.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #89: February 17, 2009, 12:42:47 PM »
Lighten up, Francis.

You're going to piss off Spider, he's supposed to be the Francis around here that needs lightening up.

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #90: February 17, 2009, 12:45:50 PM »
It makes him look all about the money.

Just like it is for all the other shmoes.

Offline R-Zim#11

« Reply #91: February 17, 2009, 12:50:22 PM »
Wisen up, Socrates. Just because someone says something you don't know doesn't mean they need to be accused of inventing it.

I didn't say the stuff you stated didn't happen -- I am saying it's not anything to worry about. Relax there, Tom Coughlin, ST officially starts tomorrow.

And your right, it does begin on the field-- which he isn't on due to PR and contractual bull. He pulls his annual early season slump I guarantee people are going to make a little more than a dinkie-doo about it.

He always starts slow -- I am actually expecting it. I'd rather have him suck in April and May, then September and October.

Still, I smell most of this probably coming from his agent telling him what to do. I don't exactly like how it is being handled, because if he truly wants to be in DC, this situation isn't making it look like it. It makes him look all about the money.

Like I said -- if this is the worst that happens, it'll be a good season!

« Reply #92: February 17, 2009, 01:26:59 PM »
I am saying it's not anything to worry about.

I'll keep that in mind when you start going off in future Zimmerman arbitration threads. ;)

He always starts slow -- I am actually expecting it. I'd rather have him suck in April and May, then September and October.

Not much use to us if you're already out in June. HE NEEDS to break this annual slump.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #93: February 17, 2009, 01:30:09 PM »
Since when is not reporting early the same as reporting late?

Only in Tom Coughlin's world.

He always starts slow -- I am actually expecting it.

freak that. We can't keep expecting that from Zimmerman and still hail him as the "face" of the franchise.

You're going to piss off Spider, he's supposed to be the Francis around here that needs lightening up.

Whatever tomterp, that's that crap wpa says all the time.

Offline blue911

« Reply #94: February 17, 2009, 01:33:12 PM »

:rofl:

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #95: February 17, 2009, 01:38:25 PM »
Generally speaking, you want your best hitter batting 3rd which to me rules out Zim and Dukes.  I'd have Nick in the 3 hole and Dunn at cleanup.

Exactly. You should have your best all around hitter in the 3 hole. Someone that can hit for average, power and can draw walks.

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #96: February 17, 2009, 01:47:16 PM »
Exactly. You should have your best all around hitter in the 3 hole. Someone that can hit for average, power and can draw walks.

And when Nick goes down and assuming Dmitri has lost some lbs, you put him in the 3 hole.  If Nick and Dmitri are both out, then it's a tossup who bats 3rd.  Guess we'll see who that'd be in s/t.  :icon_mrgreen:

Offline R-Zim#11

« Reply #97: February 17, 2009, 01:48:10 PM »
I'll keep that in mind when you start going off in future Zimmerman arbitration threads. ;)

I will go off if it looks like he is destined to go to FA. We still have a couple of years I believe.

Not much use to us if you're already out in June. HE NEEDS to break this annual slump.

Well this will be the 1st year he has a real hitting coach, so we'll see if that has any effect. On a side note -- Rick Eckstein is slowly climbing my Man Crush Leader Board.

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #98: February 17, 2009, 01:49:17 PM »
Dukes > Dmitri

I'd agree with NJ at 3, though.  Dunn/Dukes/NJ need to be no lower than 5th, but preferably 2-4.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #99: February 17, 2009, 01:51:22 PM »
I have to be honest, of all the changes going into this season, the new hitting coach is probably the one I'm most excited about.