Author Topic: Who is Your Favorite Nationals Player?  (Read 5472 times)

gosensgo05

Who is Your Favorite Nationals Player?
« Topic Start: July 06, 2005, 12:16:50 AM »
I have to choose Jose Guillen.  The guys plays with such fire and skill.  I heard that Jose was a club house cancer in Cincinnati and Anaheim but he has been a model teammate here in DC.  

I have no doubt that Jose's passion for winning is infecting the rest of the clubhouse.  When Frank benched him because of a slight shoulder injury, Jose was so disappointed but he was the best cheerleader on the bench.  

Oh and I think Tony LaRussa and the MLB players owe Jose Guillen an apology.  He should have been selected to represent the Washington Nationals at the All-Star Game in Detroit.  What a downer.

caldercup0

« Reply #1: July 06, 2005, 12:20:26 AM »
Chad Cordero, no question.

He's the best young closer in baseball right now, 30 saves going into the break. He's playing phenomenal and is a great reason we're doing this good. I'm just concerned about us overplaying him...

Jose Guillen was a definite snub for the All Star Game. He's probably my second favorite player on the team.

I'm also a fan of Junior Spivey and Gary Majewski

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
« Reply #2: July 06, 2005, 12:27:37 AM »
I agree.  

My Favorite Player is The Chief.

Jose Dos runs a close second.(in case you didn't know, Vidro is Jose Uno, Guillen is Jose Dos)

Offline mjteggy05

« Reply #3: July 06, 2005, 12:39:08 AM »
Being a former pitcher, and a starting one at that, I'm gonna have to go with my favorite Cuban exile:

The Rubber-Armed, Workhorse Livan Hernandez.

luckyexposfan

« Reply #4: July 06, 2005, 12:44:51 AM »
Hard to pick just one on a team with this much fire and pluck, so here goes my overall thoughts :)

Tied for first choice - Brad Wilkerson and Chad Cordero.  Cordero for obvious reasons.  Skilled young player, and very professional to boot.  I'm betting that when he blew that save against Chicago he was biting his shirt so that the cameras would not catch him mouth obscenities.  Very class act in what is undeniably a frustrating situation where most guys would curse up a storm and make no apologies about it.

I've admired Wilkerson for many years now.  He's not quite as young as he used to be, but he's always been a solid player, and I feel like this years move to DC has been great for him after "paying his dues" in Montreal for so many years.  I'm happy for him to be in the thick of things with big crowds behind him every night.

Other favs - I approached Guillen cautiously this season but I think he's been great for the club.  He clearly has a passion to win, and although it sometimes gets the best of him, I do believe his heart is in the right place.  I get the impression that he has a lot of respect for Frank, and that Frank has probably earned it.  Sometimes that's all it takes for a so-called "cancer" to really shine.  Let's face it, some guys just need the right kind of manager to really stand out.

Nick Johnson seems to be all business, so it's hard to judge his personality, but I definitely respect his performance.  I just hope he likes it here.  I'll bet the yanks are kicking themselves in the ass for letting him go.

Vinny Castilla is probably the most underrated player on the team.  Pretty good producer, and always excellent defensively.

Church is having a great year, hopefully he can keep it up.  Just be a little more careful with those wall-plays next time ;)

Brian Schneider seems like the perennial National to me.  Not a big name, but he goes out and plays his ass off every single game he's in, and often times makes plays that count.  Ditto for Carroll.

I could say a bit about all the other players, too, but you guys get the point.  I just love this team :D

National Pasttime

« Reply #5: July 06, 2005, 09:23:06 AM »
This team is made up of journeymen for the most part.  Wilky is the ultimate team guy, he does whatever is asked.  Guillen provides intensity.  The rookie Church has played his guts out.  The Chief is well the Chief.  Vidro has such a passion for the game, it was great to see him choked up last night when he scored.  It is like potato chips, can't have just one.  I think Frank Robinson has done a tremendous job getting everything from everyone and at this stage in the season should be Manager of the Year.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #6: July 06, 2005, 09:28:18 AM »
Quote from: "National Pasttime"
This team is made up of journeymen for the most part.  Wilky is the ultimate team guy, he does whatever is asked.  Guillen provides intensity.  The rookie Church has played his guts out.  The Chief is well the Chief.  Vidro has such a passion for the game, it was great to see him choked up last night when he scored.  It is like potato chips, can't have just one.  I think Frank Robinson has done a tremendous job getting everything from everyone and at this stage in the season should be Manager of the Year.

Very true.  

Also, welcome  :D

caldercup0

« Reply #7: July 06, 2005, 12:18:07 PM »
Quote from: "luckyexposfan"
Vinny Castilla is probably the most underrated player on the team.  Pretty good producer, and always excellent defensively.

I disagree, although Castilla is underrated, Brian Schnieder is the most underrated player on the team.

Anonymous

« Reply #8: July 06, 2005, 02:20:49 PM »
Don't laugh but when he's here I love Rick Short.  I met him for the first time when he was in his first year at Frederick and he gave my son a broken bat after a game and posed for pictures and I got to know him a bit after that.  I didn't even know he was still in baseball when I heard his name in a spring training game.  I wish they could carry 26 players!

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
« Reply #9: July 06, 2005, 08:06:53 PM »
How can anyone have just one favorite on this team. There are so many to like, well maybe less so regarding Wil Cordero. How can you not like guys who never give up.

BTW, that never give up attitude would very probably rub off on any new acquisitions...

tomwaits

« Reply #10: July 07, 2005, 12:20:56 AM »
i like Schnieder, Wilkerson and Vidro......old school Expos!

Offline NeedaNewNick

« Reply #11: July 07, 2005, 10:43:58 AM »
the entire bullpen

visionary

« Reply #12: July 10, 2005, 06:12:35 PM »
Wilkerson, Church, The Chief, and Castilla...

If I had to pick one then maybe Wilky...probably

:wink:

So many good choices though.

natsfanforever

« Reply #13: July 10, 2005, 06:20:06 PM »
Carroll without question.  He doesn't produce as much as many of the players you all have listed, but he is fun to watch.  I feel like he a throwback from the ball players of the 1950's.  He's a hard nose, gritty ball player that is fundamentally sound, doing all the little things right.  Also he's been clutch on both sides of the ball throughout the season.

Ryan Zimmerman

« Reply #14: July 10, 2005, 06:23:45 PM »
''The Chief''

:wink:

Offline esoteric

« Reply #15: July 10, 2005, 07:59:09 PM »
Wilkerson for sure, but also Scheider, Hernandez, and Chief.

And in the "lovable misfits who have finally found a home" division, I'm also a big fan of Guillen and Drese, two guys who were fired by their old teams but look to be making good at BOBFK.

natslive

« Reply #16: July 10, 2005, 09:05:22 PM »
I'd have to say Jamey Carroll - he does all the little things well and have followed him since his Harrisburg days.....then it would be the Joses...

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
    • http://nationalsnation.spaces.live.com/
« Reply #17: July 10, 2005, 09:39:24 PM »
My favorite player is going to be NICK JOHNSON.  Overlooked because of all the hoop la with Jose Guillen (although I DO LOVE JOSE!), the record saves by Chad Cordero and the face of Brad Wilkerson.  Nick Johnson has been a ROCK for this team.  Consistancy Consistancy Consistancy.  Everytime Nick comes to the plate you can expect something to happen.  

He leads the team with a .320 batting average and has stayed over .300 the entire season.  His on-base-percentage also leads the team at an outstanding .444!  Almost half the time he comes to the plate he ends up on base somehow.

It's my opinion that the reason the Nats have slowed right before the all-star break is because they are playing without Nick Johnson.  It's been said since BEFORE the season: without Nick...the Nationals offense is lacking.

Offline esoteric

« Reply #18: July 10, 2005, 09:46:35 PM »
Quote from: "Senators2005"
My favorite player is going to be NICK JOHNSON.  Overlooked because of all the hoop la with Jose Guillen (although I DO LOVE JOSE!), the record saves by Chad Cordero and the face of Brad Wilkerson.  Nick Johnson has been a ROCK for this team.  Consistancy Consistancy Consistancy.  Everytime Nick comes to the plate you can expect something to happen.  

He leads the team with a .320 batting average and has stayed over .300 the entire season.  His on-base-percentage also leads the team at an outstanding .444!  Almost half the time he comes to the plate he ends up on base somehow.

It's my opinion that the reason the Nats have slowed right before the all-star break is because they are playing without Nick Johnson.  It's been said since BEFORE the season: without Nick...the Nationals offense is lacking.

If that's the case (and I think you're almost completely correct) then how terribly unfortunate that the rock of our offense is someone as injury-prone as Nick.  Sometimes I wonder if he's made of glass - apparently he still can't walk around!  From a bad step taken two weeks ago?

*sigh*

Get well soon, Nick.  We need ya.

Diehard_Nationals_Fan

« Reply #19: July 11, 2005, 09:38:27 AM »
Quote from: "National Pasttime"

Here here!  :D