Author Topic: NFA: Josh Towers signs Minor League deal with Nats.  (Read 1756 times)

MrMadison

Baseball America Minor League Transactions

Matt Eddy at Baseball America has his first listing of minor league transactions in 2009. Two of the names (Gustavo Molina and Wil Ledezma) were already known. There is one new name signed to a minor league contract, RHP Josh Towers.

The 31-year old Towers spent the 2008 season pitching at Triple-A for the Rockies after five seasons with the Blue Jays. He is not overpowering with a fastball that peaks around 90 mph. He doesn’t walk too many hitters (1.5 walks per 9IP over 726 major league IP) but he does give up quite a few hits (roughly 11 per 9IP in his major league career). He’s your prototype #5 starting pitcher. If he sticks with the Nats, Syracuse seems his starting point where he would pitch until the Nats needed a spot starter/injury replacement.

http://farmauthority.dcsportsnet.com/2009/01/14/baseball-america-minor-league-transactions/

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
Good depth signing.

Offline sportsfan882

:|

Offline blue911

Not too many pitchers have the same number of home runs as walks.

Offline hammondsnats

i should probably stay away from this thread b/c - oh no it's a former oriole - but it's just a signing that adds depth.  he's had his ups and downs, if our rotation gets the job done and stays healthy we won't be seeing him.  maybe in the pen if someone goes down?

i wouldn't cry home to mommy over the signing, but i wouldn't go out and get his jersey either.

MrMadison

I remember Towers being a really good pitcher at one point. then he kinda just fell off a cliff.

Offline houston-nat

Wonder what Colorado Springs does to your pitching ability...

Offline blue911

Wonder what Colorado Springs does to your pitching ability...

It's like Denver only add 1,000 feet in elevation.

Offline BerkeleyNat

Josh Towers
« Reply #8: January 14, 2009, 10:43:45 PM »
From MLB Rumors.com:

Bill Ladson of MLB.com reports that the Nationals have signed Josh Towers to a minor league contract and invited him to spring training.

The 31-year-old right-hander spent all of last season at Triple-A Colorado Springs and finished with a 6-7 record and 6.27 ERA.  He'll need a really strong showing this spring to make the Nats.

My take:

Move along folks...there's nothing to see here.

Offline houston-nat

Re: Josh Towers
« Reply #9: January 14, 2009, 10:45:05 PM »
Especially since we already posted about it in the minor league forum.

Offline sportsfan882

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
I saw him pitch once with Baltimore.  He did well in his debut but once the teams figured him out, I don't believe he ever got the same stuff back.

Re: Josh Towers
« Reply #12: January 15, 2009, 08:56:38 AM »
Greatest signing in Nationals History......

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
this is obviously a good depth signing. At least he stays healthy.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
Or he could end up in the "worst National ever" thread.  :?

Offline natsdad

Stocking AAA