Author Topic: Stephen Strasburg mechanics analysis  (Read 12891 times)

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
Stephen Strasburg mechanics analysis
« Topic Start: January 11, 2009, 03:09:43 PM »
I stumbled across this, and it's kind of discouraging:

http://www.drivelinemechanics.com/2008/11/18/665018/quick-note-stephen-strasbu

The conclusion is pretty depressing:

Strasburg reminds me a lot of Mark Prior - a truly dominant right-handed college pitcher with troubling mechanics: Bad arm action combined with slow tempo. I predict a steady loss of velocity over the first few years of his career leading to him dropping his arm slot and then a major shoulder injury.
:|

Re: Stephen Strasburg mechanics analysis
« Reply #1: January 11, 2009, 03:17:29 PM »
Why? We haven't drafted him yet.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #2: January 11, 2009, 03:20:38 PM »
Hmm, I thought I remember people saying that his mechanics were great and he was the perfect pitcher. That sucks.

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #3: January 11, 2009, 03:28:10 PM »
Here's Strasburg pulling the infamous inverted W out of the Jeremy Bonderman playbook:

Oh, and:

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #4: January 11, 2009, 03:35:35 PM »
yikes. that kind of sucks

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #5: January 11, 2009, 03:35:43 PM »
Why? We haven't drafted him yet.
Nice try. :rofl: He's still a draft prospect for us.  We want at least one player in this draft class to be nearly flawless as a prospect.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #6: January 11, 2009, 03:36:55 PM »
They said the same thing about Crow. These people just love to say crap like this about top prospects. I bet if you wanted to and looked long and hard enough you would find a lot of pitchers who had similar mechanics and didn't have the same issues as Prior. Some pitchers just happen to be brittle (Wood, TRJPWH and Shawn Hill just to name a few).

Maybe these people are being secretly influenced by the Lerners (since they're cheap as hell) in some way so that they have a reason not to draft him and save money by drafting a position player.   :lol:

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #7: January 11, 2009, 03:44:27 PM »
Nice try. :rofl: He's still a draft prospect for us.  We want at least one player in this draft class to be nearly flawless as a prospect.
Definitely. We need a College Player that is close to ML-ready.

« Reply #8: January 11, 2009, 03:47:04 PM »

Nice try? Try what? Oh, so we have drafted him already? Who knew? :rofl:

Offline spidernat

« Reply #9: January 11, 2009, 03:49:30 PM »
I think ACTA is saying that since we own the number 1 selection that Strasburg, and every other top prospect available, is a concern to us because we could potentially draft him.

« Reply #10: January 11, 2009, 03:51:25 PM »
I think ACTA is saying that since we own the number 1 selection that Strasburg, and every other top prospect available, is a concern to us because we could potentially draft him.

ACTA is also hyperventilating over some blog he "just stumbled upon." :lol:

Still a little early to get one's panties in a twist over something like this, but I confess, it was an interesting read.

Offline spidernat

« Reply #11: January 11, 2009, 03:53:02 PM »
I think people have been getting their hopes up on Strasburg since last May. Personally I think that's a mistake and it could let a lot of people down because some are fully expecting him to be some sort of a savior for the Nationals.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #12: January 11, 2009, 03:57:42 PM »
I think people have been getting their hopes up on Strasburg since last May. Personally I think that's a mistake and it could let a lot of people down because some are fully expecting him to be some sort of a savior for the Nationals.
Do we still take him with the first pick if he has a good year at SDSU knowing that his mechanics aren't great?

This #1 pick really needs to pan out and be ready to be a full-time Major Leaguer by 2010.

Offline spidernat

« Reply #13: January 11, 2009, 04:05:09 PM »
Do we still take him with the first pick if he has a good year at SDSU knowing that his mechanics aren't great?

This #1 pick really needs to pan out and be ready to be a full-time Major Leaguer by 2010.

That's a concern for any player. Some people have to get it through their heads that prospects, even high ceiling prospects, are not a sure thing. You may have a better shot at the ones considered to have higher potential but that doesn't necessarily mean they will be studs. For example, John Smoltz was drafted in like the 20th round. In contrast, someone else here has repeatedly talked about the questionable history of pitchers selected number 1 overall. I'm sure whoever that poster is will find that his argument is strengthened by this article. Hopefully we get lucky and draft 2 gems in the top 10 who turn out to be complete studs for years to come.

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #14: January 11, 2009, 04:06:27 PM »

I think you pretty much have to take him if he's the best player available, regardless of these concerns.

Comparing him to Prior, I think there are enough differences that it's not a terrible concern.  I'm no expert on mechanics, but I can notice a few differences in their mechanics.  Prior's arm angle at his delivery is much lower.  It's close to parallel to his shoulder.  Strasburg has a higher leg kick - the action in the legs is much different.  His right leg lifts much more quickly.  Prior's seems to lag behind his left leg for much longer.

Also, the comments there seem to challenge the general conclusion of that post.

I'm not entirely sold that Strasburg will be so injury prone, but it's interesting nevertheless.  Just as you had, I once read that his mechanics were extremely refined/clean so I was surprised to find this.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #15: January 11, 2009, 04:07:52 PM »
It shouldn't be that hard for us to get a gem though with the #1 pick that is close to ready. Just look at all of the studs drafted in the top ten picks in the last few years' drafts.

Offline spidernat

« Reply #16: January 11, 2009, 04:10:35 PM »
Lincecum was on MLB network and they talked about how his mechanics led some to believe he would be injury prone. I think a lot of it depends on the toughness of the individual player.

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #17: January 11, 2009, 04:18:13 PM »
Lincecum was on MLB network and they talked about how his mechanics led some to believe he would be injury prone. I think a lot of it depends on the toughness of the individual player.
Actually, I read an article on him ages ago.  I don't really think that's about toughness.

His dad studied biomechanics and game film and came up with this really unorthodox delivery for Lincecum, who was undersized.

It had all of the red flags and appearances of a brutal delivery, but it turned out to be very effective and have minimal strain.
It shouldn't be that hard for us to get a gem though with the #1 pick that is close to ready. Just look at all of the studs drafted in the top ten picks in the last few years' drafts.
There have been some duds sprinkled in as well.  Don't get too caught up in thinking this is a sure thing.

Offline spidernat

« Reply #18: January 11, 2009, 04:33:55 PM »
My point is that some people are tougher or less brittle than others by nature.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #19: January 11, 2009, 05:50:41 PM »

I think you may have something there.  The tougher player tends to play through pain, and suffer more serious injury as a result, while the less tough player might stop short of a real problem.

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #20: January 11, 2009, 05:52:21 PM »
I don't think that's what he meant. :rofl:

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #21: January 11, 2009, 05:53:35 PM »

Offline spidernat

« Reply #22: January 11, 2009, 05:59:05 PM »
I don't think that's what he meant. :rofl:

Yeah but his post will show how much he sticks up for Shawn Hill since he's basically praising him as a tough guy. 

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #23: January 11, 2009, 10:16:26 PM »
Yeah but his post will show how much he sticks up for Shawn Hill since he's basically praising him as a tough guy.  (Image removed from quote.)

No, I'm saying that being a "tough guy" is no attribute when it comes to dealing with injuries.  Take something minor, ignore it and you pretty soon end up with something major. 

What's so great about ignoring injuries, anyway?  How'd that work out for Chad?  Ayala was good and tough pitching in the WBC, wasn't he?   :roll:

Offline spidernat

« Reply #24: January 11, 2009, 10:47:25 PM »
I wasn't referring to that sort of toughness tomterp. If you had read my other post you would've known that I was talking about not being brittle as I believe some people's body makeup isn't as tough as others and are therefore more prone to getting injured and staying injured.

My point is that some people are tougher or less brittle than others by nature.