Author Topic: '08 Winter Meetings  (Read 17321 times)

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
Re: '08 Winter Meetings
« Reply #25: December 08, 2008, 03:41:38 PM »
I'm not saying he is worth a certain amount or a pick. I'm just saying he's a better option than Redding any way you try to slice it. I'm talking about performance. You asked about who was better and I stated my opinion. I don't care what it costs. I want the Nationals to field a good team and I think they would be better off with Garland over Redding, if it were an option.

Then what the hell, except we might have to sign a multi-year contact for a sucky pitcher that may get injured? Redding will require little except 1-2 million dollars next year. Garland is not worth a pick.

As far as I can determine, Garland has started 32 or 33 games for each of the last 7 seasons. In that same span, Vindicator has done it twice. So the "sucky pitcher that may get injured" is more than likely to be Vindicator. Sounds like you have an AZ-esque crush on Vindicator.

Online blue911

« Reply #26: December 08, 2008, 04:12:15 PM »
Out of curiosity, besides tomterp and PANatsFan, who would rather have Redding over Garland?

That's the choices? Braden Looper and Randy Wolf would be better for the Nationals. To be honest all of these guys would be the #4 pitcher, at best, on a good staff.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #27: December 08, 2008, 04:15:43 PM »
That's the choices? Braden Looper and Randy Wolf would be better for the Nationals. To be honest all of these guys would be the #4 pitcher, at best, on a good staff.

I think Wolf will get some attention and a good contract. I wouldn't mind Johnny sinkers- we have a good infield defense, he could work here.

Offline UpperDec

« Reply #28: December 08, 2008, 04:17:43 PM »
Neither Byrd nor Garland would be costing the Nats a draft pick as they are both Type B and both are better than Redding.  Looper and Wolf are too.

MrMadison

« Reply #29: December 08, 2008, 04:19:36 PM »
Neither Byrd nor Garland would be costing the Nats a draft pick as they are both Type B and both are better than Redding.  Looper and Wolf are too.

bu....bu....but the VINDICATION!

Online blue911

« Reply #30: December 08, 2008, 04:20:38 PM »
Garland's an AL guy. I really don't want to see another Jason Bergmann type at the plate. And yes I know they're paid to pitch but Garland is anywhere near good enough to be a total waste hitting.

MrMadison

« Reply #31: December 08, 2008, 04:27:28 PM »
Garland's an AL guy. I really don't want to see another Jason Bergmann type at the plate. And yes I know they're paid to pitch but Garland is anywhere near good enough to be a total waste hitting.

maybe Dukes can pitch.

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #32: December 08, 2008, 04:29:25 PM »
maybe Dukes can pitch.
Ryan Zimmerman is the Best Young Pitcher in the Game! ;)

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #33: December 08, 2008, 04:30:04 PM »
Ryan Zimmerman is the Best Young Pitcher in the Game! ;)
Sadly, we're going to hear this about Shairon Martis next year.  I just know it.

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
« Reply #34: December 08, 2008, 04:46:34 PM »
Why are we interested in a Rocky Centerfielder!  Aren't we up to our eyeballs in Outfielders?  I don't get it!  I read on Yahoo we're interested in Torealba.?  OOPS Tavares.

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #35: December 08, 2008, 04:52:29 PM »
Why are we interested in a Rocky Centerfielder!  Aren't we up to our eyeballs in Outfielders?  I don't get it!  I read on Yahoo we're interested in Torealba.?  OOPS Tavares.
Just posted this on the last page: Ken Rosenthal says we are NOT interested in Taveras. NOT interested.
Unfortunately, we ARE interested in Carlos Gonzalez.

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #36: December 08, 2008, 04:52:44 PM »
Sadly, we're going to hear this about Shairon Martis next year.  I just know it.
Hey, I think he's awesome. Or could be. :(

MrMadison

« Reply #37: December 08, 2008, 04:57:33 PM »
ESPN's Hot Stove show is coming on right now on ESPN 2.

I don't expect to hear anything about the Lowly Nationals(tm) but I'm watching anyway.

Offline eagleskins

• BANNED FOREVER
« Reply #38: December 08, 2008, 05:00:57 PM »
Need a big bat and a starting pitcher, and we could make some noise.  Preferably Dunn or Tex, and Burnett. 

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #39: December 08, 2008, 05:01:55 PM »
Out of curiosity, besides tomterp and PANatsFan, who would rather have Redding over Garland?

Sheesh, why even post if everybody already knows what I think?   :roll:

In truth, I haven't even considered the comparison, have no opinion at the moment. 

I will say that your other comment that Garland pitching more innings despite pitching in the AL is somewhat bogus, as I'm not aware of stats that show pitchers in the AL pitch fewer innings due to facing better lineups.  If anything, pitchers in the AL tend to pitch more innings by a slight amount, since they are not being pulled for pinch hitters ever.  But show me some evidence to the contrary and I'll retract my guess.

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #40: December 08, 2008, 05:05:50 PM »
Why not pick up Garland? If we pick up Tex or Dunn, we should see what we could get for dumping Nick Johnson on the Red Sox.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #41: December 08, 2008, 05:13:19 PM »

Yes Randy Wolf is a good choice -EXCEPT HE'S A LEFTY - we do not need more lefties.

I think that  people need to understand the costs vs. benefits, which is the point I'm constantly trying to prove - we don't want to sign 750000 FA's - in fact, the CBA limits the number of Type A's and Type B's each team can sign

Redding is not Cy Young (he's probably a nicer guy too :D)

MrMadison

« Reply #42: December 08, 2008, 05:29:10 PM »
Yes Randy Wolf is a good choice -EXCEPT HE'S A LEFTY - we do not need more lefties.

I think that  people need to understand the costs vs. benefits, which is the point I'm constantly trying to prove - we don't want to sign 750000 FA's - in fact, the CBA limits the number of Type A's and Type B's each team can sign

Redding is not Cy Young (he's probably a nicer guy too :D)

I don't think anyone thinks we should sign a gadjillion free agents. just a bat and a pitcher(or two). seriously, is that so far-fetched?

sign Dunn, dump the Vindication, sign Brad Penny and Jon Garland.

problem solved.  sure we miss out the superior first base option(Tex), but we get a power bat and 2 pitchers, you get to worship Dunn, I don't have to suffer through any more Vindication, and we don't lose any picks.  everyone is happy.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #43: December 08, 2008, 05:41:49 PM »
I don't think anyone thinks we should sign a gadjillion free agents. just a bat and a pitcher(or two). seriously, is that so far-fetched?

sign Dunn, dump the Vindication, sign Brad Penny and Jon Garland.

problem solved.  sure we miss out the superior first base option(Tex), but we get a power bat and 2 pitchers, you get to worship Dunn, I don't have to suffer through any more Vindication, and we don't lose any picks.  everyone is happy.

I like your plan as Brad Penny will come cheap and is a fireballer. I really think that Redding ≈ Garland, and Garland is overrated and is therefore overpriced. But I won't go absurdly insane if we sign him.

« Reply #44: December 08, 2008, 05:49:30 PM »
I think you all are smoking gingerbread this holiday season. None of those moves mentioned are going to me made.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #45: December 08, 2008, 05:52:37 PM »
I think you all are smoking gingerbread this holiday season. None of those moves mentioned are going to me made.
Yep. :?

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #46: December 08, 2008, 06:01:43 PM »

we don't want to sign 750000 FA's - in fact, the CBA limits the number of Type A's and Type B's each team can sign

Right, since the Nats are already nearing the limit number of type A and B FA's they are allowed to sign.  :? 

In truth, I haven't even considered the comparison, have no opinion at the moment. 

You mean you're waiting to read what BP tells you to think on the subject. :?

I will say that your other comment that Garland pitching more innings despite pitching in the AL is somewhat bogus, as I'm not aware of stats that show pitchers in the AL pitch fewer innings due to facing better lineups.  If anything, pitchers in the AL tend to pitch more innings by a slight amount, since they are not being pulled for pinch hitters ever.  But show me some evidence to the contrary and I'll retract my guess.

No where did I say pitchers in the AL pitch fewer innings.

Garland has pitched over twice the innings that Vindicator has and his ERA is still better, and that's not even accounting for the fact that he has pitched in the AL facing the DH while Vindicator has spent his time in the NL and had trouble with the bottom of lineups including pitchers in '08. Garland is also 2 years younger.

That comment was about ERA in respective leagues. I was showing the fact that Garland has logged over twice the amount of innings as Vindicator yet his ERA is still slightly better as I naturally would expect Vindicator's ERA would rise even higher if he were to pitch as many innings as Garland (since Vindicator is not really a beast) not to mention that ERA's in the AL tend to be higher due to the DH.

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #47: December 08, 2008, 06:09:01 PM »
Hey, I think he's awesome. Or could be. :(
I think Martis is a great raw talent, but AZ will overhype him and make excuses for him when he has poor outings.

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #48: December 08, 2008, 06:09:09 PM »
The Giants are shopping Jonathan Sanchez. Sure, he's another lefty, but ...

Online blue911

« Reply #49: December 08, 2008, 06:20:35 PM »

QFT. Garland was offered arbitration by the Angels. Guaranteeing he'll make at least $10.6M next season.