Author Topic: Nats hot stove preview - BP  (Read 2735 times)

Re: Nats hot stove preview - BP
« Reply #25: November 14, 2008, 02:55:00 PM »
Nieves is far from a scrub. He is a very suitable back-up Catcher.

:rofl:

Yeah, tell that to the Yanks. The guy is a nobody who found a face on a 102-loss team. Not that hard to do in that situation.

« Reply #26: November 14, 2008, 02:55:55 PM »
:bang: Difference is price - why would we sign a Type A/B FA just for fun? Ever heard of LoDuca? Jeez what is your deal? You are just trying to be a contrarian.

Did I say sign him? I just said I would like him in the role. I didn't say go out and sign him. Getting your panties in a twirl over nothing?

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #27: November 14, 2008, 03:01:58 PM »
Did I say sign him? I just said I would like him in the role. I didn't say go out and sign him. Getting your panties in a twirl over nothing?

Make sense and I won't :lol:

I rank our needs at backup catcher just above our need for a better uniform laundry service.

« Reply #28: November 14, 2008, 03:04:43 PM »
Make sense and I won't :lol:

I rank our needs at backup catcher just above our need for a better uniform laundry service.

Again, not saying that back-up catcher is a priority. Just making conversation.

Go up to a someone and say our catchers include a combo of Flores/Pudge and I guarantee people would nod their heads. Say we have combo of Flores/Nieves and they'll be like: who the freak is Wil Nieves? Hell, knowing the horrid media, they'd be like who the freak is Flores too.

The guy would be an absolute nobody on any other team. Guaranteed.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #29: November 14, 2008, 03:06:50 PM »
Again, not saying that back-up catcher is a priority. Just making conversation.

Go up to a someone and say our catchers include a combo of Flores/Pudge and I guarantee people would nod their heads. Say we have combo of Flores/Nieves and they'll be like: who the freak is Wil Nieves? Hell, knowing the horrid media, they'd be like who the freak is Flores too.

The guy would be an absolute nobody on any other team. Guaranteed.

Name recognition is BELOW laundry service in things I care about :lol:

If we magically traded Nieves for Pudge, I guess I wouldn't care, as long as he kept his mouth shut on the bench.

« Reply #30: November 14, 2008, 03:10:32 PM »
Name recognition is BELOW laundry service in things I care about :lol:

If we magically traded Nieves for Pudge, I guess I wouldn't care, as long as he kept his mouth shut on the bench.

It's not even name recognition. It's pretty much everything else from experience to career highs. Pudge has Wil Nieves beat. Wil Nieves would never be a starter in the Major Leagues. Period.

Pudge would have to take the Vow of Elijah Dukes, I agree. But as NatsAddict said, he has a fiery ego and I never see him taking a back-up role. It would be nice if he would, but he won't.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #31: November 14, 2008, 03:12:28 PM »
It's not even name recognition. It's pretty much everything else from experience to career highs. Pudge has Wil Nieves beat. Wil Nieves would never be a starter in the Major Leagues. Period.

Pudge would have to take the Vow of Elijah Dukes, I agree. But as NatsAddict said, he has a fiery ego and I never see him taking a back-up role. It would be nice if he would, but he won't.

Hell, let's sign Johnny Bench then.

Your arguments do not hang together at all.

« Reply #32: November 14, 2008, 03:15:34 PM »
Hell, let's sign Johnny Bench then.

Nor does your faith in a player like Wil Nieves.

Offline NatsAddict

« Reply #33: November 14, 2008, 03:15:47 PM »
Who said anything about him teaching anything? I'd just want him for back-up, no teaching required.

I am tired of picking up players for "teaching." That bullcrap hasn't worked out for us. We just need some caveman mashers to come in here and just play the game.

The article said his primary worth is as a teacher - if that's his primary worth, he isn't worth much. 

His days of mashing the ball are done, but he's still a good gap-to-gap hitter and gets the friggin' thing in play and moves the guys ahead of him along.  His BA (at least with the Tigers last year) and OBP are near his HOF notable averages, though his SLG has dropped substantially.  As a backup, not bad depending on the price.

« Reply #34: November 14, 2008, 03:17:41 PM »
The article said his primary worth is as a teacher - if that's his primary worth, he isn't worth much. 

His days of mashing the ball are done, but he's still a good gap-to-gap hitter and gets the friggin' thing in play and moves the guys ahead of him along.  His BA (at least with the Tigers last year) and OBP are near his HOF notable averages, though his SLG has dropped substantially.  As a backup, not bad depending on the price.

And a backup is all he could be on the Nats as long as Jesus Flores is in uniform. But Pudge would never do back up so it's a moot point. But it is interesting to think about.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #35: November 14, 2008, 03:17:44 PM »

How much faith do I need in a guy that catches once a week. Will he block the plate? Throw out basestealers? Hit the ball once in a while? Probably. That's the faith I have.

I would like someone like Tom to find me the VORP for the "best" backup catcher around. It's like arguing over the mop up guy in the bullpen.

« Reply #36: November 14, 2008, 03:21:42 PM »
How much faith do I need in a guy that catches once a week. Will he block the plate? Throw out basestealers? Hit the ball once in a while? Probably. That's the faith I have.

I would like someone like Tom to find me the VORP for the "best" backup catcher around. It's like arguing over the mop up guy in the bullpen.

And you don't think Pudge would do the same thing AND on top of that get the ball into play more?

So stop arguing. I stated my opinion. I'd take Pudge over Wil Nieves as a back-up guy any day of the week if it was doable. It's not, so it's moot. Just making conversation.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #37: November 14, 2008, 03:21:48 PM »
The staff liked throwing to Nieves.  And he was also pretty solid with getting on base, but you can't rely on him for power.  If we can get Pudge for not much and if he understood his role here, then what the hell.  But I don't have a problem with Nieves. 

Really the backup catcher should be the least of our concerns right now.  FOCUS PEOPLE = TEIXEIRA!!!

« Reply #38: November 14, 2008, 03:23:07 PM »
FOCUS PEOPLE = TEIXEIRA!!!

Yes, maybe if we all think about it a lot all at the same time we can make it happen.

"Use the Force, Luke..."

EDIT: The back-up catcher stuff is just conversation. Nothing else other than Pete Orr happening anyways.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #39: November 14, 2008, 03:23:53 PM »
I don't see Pudge as a teacher.  Egos such as his are rarely found in good teachers.  He won't even go to pitchers/catchers meetings, always sending his "understudy" who is to brief him.

Don't say that.  Pudge is worshipped as one of the greatest catchers of all time.

I think he's always been WAAYYY overrated and been crucifed for having said so.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #40: November 14, 2008, 03:26:29 PM »

He can't take steroids without getting caught anymore.

Offline NatsAddict

« Reply #41: November 14, 2008, 03:26:59 PM »
And a backup is all he could be on the Nats as long as Jesus Flores is in uniform. But Pudge would never do back up so it's a moot point. But it is interesting to think about.

I don't see Pudge as a backup, either.  He's supposed to be worshiped, and Flores would be designated to go to Pudge's house and polish the bronze statue he has of himself prior to every weekend series, and then thank Pudge for the privilege.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #42: November 14, 2008, 03:27:02 PM »
Yes, maybe if we all think about it a lot all at the same time we can make it happen.

"Use the Force, Luke..."

EDIT: The back-up catcher stuff is just conversation. Nothing else other than Pete Orr happening anyways.

haha i love the use the force line.  No I was just kidding about the Teix stuff.  And I'm down for talking about anything other than Pete Orr still being in our system. 

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #43: November 14, 2008, 03:28:33 PM »
And you don't think Pudge would do the same thing AND on top of that get the ball into play more?

I don't argue that Pudge would get the ball in play more, but he would NOT block the plate more, he won't be bothered with game plans and I doubt at this stage he'd even throw out more would-be stealers than Nieves.  Dollar for dollar I'd rather have Nieves.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #44: November 14, 2008, 03:30:56 PM »
Nieves is much cheaper and is just as good if not better player at this point in their careers.

Nieves is great behind the plate and he had a breakthrough offensively last year. It finally clicked for him.

« Reply #45: November 14, 2008, 03:35:40 PM »
Nieves is great behind the plate and he had a breakthrough offensively last year. It finally clicked for him.

That's nice of you to say. Last year was the first year he hit over .200, granted he was given more at-bats than ever before but when you play on the injury filled Nats, you'll probably get your chances. I'd like to see what he does this season before we deem him "clicked."

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #46: November 14, 2008, 03:58:49 PM »
Pudge would never accept a backup role.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #47: November 14, 2008, 04:03:17 PM »
Pudge would never accept a backup role.

Unless he finds a chemist, he's a backup or retired.

MrMadison

« Reply #48: November 14, 2008, 05:20:19 PM »

Here's the movie adaptation:

You arguments are your weakness...

Your faith in NIEVES is YOURRSSSSSSSSSS...

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #49: November 14, 2008, 05:21:40 PM »
:rofl:    Classic.