Author Topic: Another wild card team coming  (Read 1979 times)

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Re: Another wild card team coming
« Reply #25: September 24, 2011, 07:05:37 PM »
I'm surprised to hear JCA support this - just seems like another advantage for the Yankees

Well, what I like about it is it would give us a 50/50 shot at being the other wild  card along with the Rays.  just one wild card isn't good enough.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #26: September 24, 2011, 07:14:14 PM »
Well, what I like about it is it would give us a 50/50 shot at being the other wild  card along with the Rays.  just one wild card isn't good enough.

Just think about the added angst in the nation when they have to face one game playoffs

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #27: September 24, 2011, 07:28:44 PM »
One step closer to the NBA playoff model...

Offline RobDibblesGhost

« Reply #28: September 24, 2011, 11:15:59 PM »
On first glance, I like this but they better not let Joe West's crew umpire the one-game playoff :)  We see bad calls cost teams games quite a bit;  all we need is for that to happen in a single-game elimination.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #29: September 24, 2011, 11:16:38 PM »
On first glance, I like this but they better not let Joe West's crew umpire the one-game playoff :)  We see bad calls cost teams games quite a bit;  all we need is for that to happen in a single-game elimination.

crap, I hadn't even thought of this.

What do you want to bet it ends up being the impetus for expanded instant replay?

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #30: September 24, 2011, 11:18:49 PM »
crap, I hadn't even thought of this.

What do you want to bet it ends up being the impetus for expanded instant replay?

Excellent.

Also, that scenario painted by RDG could only happen to the Nationals.

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
« Reply #31: September 27, 2011, 09:42:24 AM »
One step closer to the NBA playoff model...

...more like one step closer to holding the World Series in a neutral city (translation: someplace in the Sunbelt or in some domed stadium so the fat cats don't have to freeze their little tushies off) since it'll be so late in the year. (This is not a new idea - Whitey Herzog advocated this as long ago as the 1980's.)

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #32: September 27, 2011, 09:43:33 AM »
...more like one step closer to holding the World Series in a neutral city (translation: someplace in the Sunbelt or in some domed stadium so the fat cats don't have to freeze their little tushies off) since it'll be so late in the year. (This is not a new idea - Whitey Herzog advocated this as long ago as the 1980's.)

Booooooo

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #33: September 27, 2011, 09:55:43 AM »

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #34: September 27, 2011, 10:07:24 AM »
It'll never happen.

Offline PC

« Reply #35: September 27, 2011, 11:39:15 AM »
A double header!  For those who want a 3-game series, have a double header on the first day and then, if there's a split, one more game the next day.

That would only increase the wait for division winners by one game, assume one team doesn't win both halves of the DH.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #36: September 27, 2011, 12:08:02 PM »
« Reply #35: Today at 11:39:15 AM »Quote A double header!  For those who want a 3-game series, have a double header on the first day and then, if there's a split, one more game the next day.

That would only increase the wait for division winners by one game, assume one team doesn't win both halves of the DH.
Nice idea. I agree with you, but I'm sure the counter argument is that a multi-game playoff should have a home and home element. 

Offline PC

« Reply #37: September 27, 2011, 03:32:31 PM »
Nice idea. I agree with you, but I'm sure the counter argument is that a multi-game playoff should have a home and home element. 

It would be home-home, assuming one team didn't sweep the DH.  The DH would be in the #4 home and the game the next day would be in #5.  This is no different than the one-game playoff as far as home games goes, if there's a DH sweep.  Otherwise, both teams get home games.