Author Topic: PARDON MY IGNORANCE. WHAT IS A BLACKBERRY  (Read 1215 times)

nospinzone1

PARDON MY IGNORANCE. WHAT IS A BLACKBERRY
« Topic Start: June 08, 2007, 07:33:14 AM »
AND ARE THEY REALLY EXPENSIVE?

Offline kimnat

Re: PARDON MY IGNORANCE. WHAT IS A BLACKBERRY
« Reply #1: June 08, 2007, 09:25:38 AM »
In my limited understanding...

It is a handheld device, basically a palm sized computer.  You can get on the internet w/ it.  It has a tiny keyboard on it.  You can send and receive email and still use it as a cell phone.  It also holds information, your contact list, etc.  You can also sync it to your calendar on the computer.  And if it's like a palm in this regard, you can transfer information to another blackberry.  And in my opinion, yes they are expensive, several hundred dollars.

Offline NatsAddict

« Reply #2: June 08, 2007, 09:29:57 AM »
Three weeks from today, the iPhone comes out, and my Blackberry hits the waste bin.

Offline kimnat

« Reply #3: June 08, 2007, 09:49:10 AM »
Aw man!!! That is so cool!!!!!!!  I tried a smart phone a couple years ago.  Looks like I'll have to try that one!  Sweet!

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #4: June 08, 2007, 12:28:21 PM »
I've heard Blackberries referred to as "D.C. life support units"

Offline Dave B

« Reply #5: June 08, 2007, 04:41:06 PM »
AND ARE THEY REALLY EXPENSIVE?

They are made by a Canadian company, Research in Motion, so you might not want to buy one and widen the trade deficit. And they are probably made by racists or if not racists, some dollar a day laborers in some third world country.  So chances are you will probably contribute to the downfall of the US, or at least put some money in the pockets of racists.

I dont know if RIM has been a acquired by a US company but I just figured I'd tell you what I know, before you bought one and could post even more stuff in the Off Topic section while waiting in the ER as every illegal alien in the DC area gets seen before you for free.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BlackBerry

nospinzone1

« Reply #6: June 08, 2007, 04:47:42 PM »
They are made by a Canadian company, Research in Motion, so you might not want to buy one and widen the trade deficit. And they are probably made by racists or if not racists, some dollar a day laborers in some third world country.  So chances are you will probably contribute to the downfall of the US, or at least put some money in the pockets of racists.

I dont know if RIM has been a acquired by a US company but I just figured I'd tell you what I know, before you bought one and could post even more stuff in the Off Topic section while waiting in the ER as every illegal alien in the DC area gets seen before you for free.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BlackBerry

thanks pal....ROTFLMAO.....You sounded like somebody from canada I know

nospinzone1

« Reply #7: June 08, 2007, 04:48:43 PM »
With my medical history, I probably would get carpal tunnel or thumb tunnel syndrome.

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
« Reply #8: June 08, 2007, 08:47:08 PM »
I call them "the leash".   :roll: You have no excuse to get away from work!  It receives email, its a phone, you can access the internet.  The office can pull on the leash by sending email or calling you any place any time!  I went to a Billy Joel Concert once and one of my former co-workers had one! 

Offline kimnat

« Reply #9: June 10, 2007, 12:51:21 PM »
Hey according to the cingular website, the iPhone is coming out 6/29!   Man, I'd love one of those!  Wonder if it can be synced to a pc?

Offline NatsAddict

Hey according to the cingular website, the iPhone is coming out 6/29!   Man, I'd love one of those!  Wonder if it can be synced to a pc?

Yes

You can even import things like cookies and favorites from your desktop/laptop web browser.  At the next tailgate, you can upload your pics to here while flippin' burgers.

Offline kimnat

Cool!  I told Dan that when it comes out, I'll give him my upgrade phone and he can buy the iPhone (give it to me) then we can swap the sim cards in them.  :)  Any idea what the reception will be like on them?

Offline NatsAddict

Cool!  I told Dan that when it comes out, I'll give him my upgrade phone and he can buy the iPhone (give it to me) then we can swap the sim cards in them.  :)  Any idea what the reception will be like on them?

The FCC threw it's holy water on them a couple weeks ago, but I haven't seen the report yet.   I have a friend at the Cingular store holding two of them for me as soon as they come in.   Nonetheless, I may camp out in my car like a Christmastime Walmart shopper trying to get a Wii just because I can't wait.  What will be great for you is that you can do research for a story from anywhere.  If you have webspace to store some documents, you can retreive them from anywhere with your phone.

Offline kimnat

It sounds super! I can't wait too!