Author Topic: Follow the Prospects: Anthony Rendon, 3B (and 2B, we hope)  (Read 84661 times)

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
Re: Follow the Prospects: Anthony Rendon, 3B
« Reply #575: August 15, 2012, 09:41:54 AM »
Rendon likely ends up at 3B/1B.

Maybe they'll audition him for 1B next year, this September.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #576: August 15, 2012, 09:55:16 AM »
Rendon likely ends up at 3B/1B.

Maybe they'll audition him for 1B next year, this September.

that's my thought- either they move him to 1b expecting him up soon (say let laroche walk, morse to 1b to start next year, then rendon next year of full time in 2014) or they leave him at 3b as trade bait

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #577: August 15, 2012, 12:01:31 PM »
Sure it's possible. He out ran the SS or 2B to the bag and took the feed to turn the DP.

:lol:

Zimmerman has turned a number of DP's at 2nd, when playing the infield shift against the Ryan Howard types.  Somehow I'm doubting that Rendon's demonstrated the same athleticism.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
« Reply #578: August 15, 2012, 12:48:44 PM »
I expect them to keep Rendon down for now. There isn't really a spot for him to jump in and play at, especially since Lombardozzi with the return of Desmond will assume the roll of super utility guy again.

I predict you don't see Rendon until halfway through next year if not September. He'll have to tear the cover off the ball to come up before. With 1B covered through at least the end of next season, you don't want to call him up unless you think he can play the OF. Also, it never hurts for him to spend more time in the minors. Let him see how teams adjust to him and then have to adjust to those adjustments.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #579: August 15, 2012, 01:00:45 PM »
Is 1b covered through the end of next year?

Offline WhiteWhale

« Reply #580: August 15, 2012, 02:03:05 PM »
Is 1b covered through the end of next year?

ALR may come back, Morse, Moore...it's covered up enough to not rush a younger player to the majors with a new position

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #581: August 19, 2012, 09:20:44 PM »
Looks like he's met his match in Double A

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #582: August 19, 2012, 09:21:55 PM »
Looks like he's met his match in Double A

yeah after 24 at bats (6 games) ...

wow glad you're not in charge of our organization.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #583: August 19, 2012, 09:57:39 PM »
yeah after 24 at bats (6 games) ...

wow glad you're not in charge of our organization.

Are you seriously this stupid or do you just like to troll?

Met his match as in he's now being matched in skill by the opposing pitchers. As in, where he shoulda be. But I guess dolts like you want to keep in in Single A so his stats look great. Good thing you're not in charge of the organization .

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #584: August 19, 2012, 09:59:04 PM »
In fairness, Slate, a lot people use met his match to mean someone has been bested, not that they are at a level that is appropriate.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #585: August 19, 2012, 09:59:28 PM »
Are you seriously this stupid or do you just like to troll?

Met his match as in he's now being matched in skill by the opposing pitchers. As in, where he shoulda be. But I guess dolts like you want to keep in in Single A so his stats look great. Good thing you're not in charge of the organization .

omg the stupidity!

it's way too early to make any kind of assumption of how he's going to do at the AA level.  I think he's right where he should be and I think he'll do well there.  but to say he's met his match, after 6 games ... wow.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #586: August 19, 2012, 10:07:32 PM »
You guys realize now that you actually agree?  That he is at the right level?

Offline Slateman

« Reply #587: August 19, 2012, 10:09:02 PM »
In fairness, Slate, a lot people use met his match to mean someone has been bested, not that they are at a level that is appropriate.
I would say, right now, he's being bested. Which means Double A is where he needs to be. Which makes sense, given his age and development. If not for his injury, he'd have been in Double A for a while now.

Double A is usually where pitchers have more than a fastball and average breaking pitch. I'm not even sure if the AFL is worth his time or risk of injury.

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #588: August 20, 2012, 01:24:32 PM »
You guys realize now that you actually agree?  That he is at the right level?

I think they have you on ignore...

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
« Reply #589: August 23, 2012, 01:43:05 PM »
From Jason Parks today at BP: http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=18110

I’ve been thinking about…Anthony Rendon. I absolutely love his swing. His hands are special. It all starts with his hands. He owns one of the best bat-to-hand relationships I’ve ever seen. They aren’t separate beings. Some hitters view the bat as their weapon in the war against the ball. They see the ball and they swing their sword and they hope to chop the enemy’s head off. Rendon’s bat might as well contain his own ligaments, blood, and bones. When he swings, the bat is an extension of his own body. The bat speed and the bat control are off-the-chart, and if he can stay healthy, this is going to be a big time hitter. I don’t see much over-the-fence power, but lots of batting average and lots of doubles from squared-up hard contact. I was slow to believe the hype about his hitting prowess, but this is going to be a very good major league hitter.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #590: August 23, 2012, 01:49:47 PM »
Put him at first,  fast track to the majors :pray:

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #591: August 23, 2012, 02:44:29 PM »
Sounds a bit like Alonso at 1B or Craig at 1B.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #592: August 25, 2012, 06:56:37 PM »
http://www.fangraphs.com/fantasy/index.php/nl-playoff-push-prospects-mining-the-minors/

Anthony Rendon, 2B/3B (AA): The No. 6 pick in 2011, Rendon has endured serious, nagging and varied injuries over the past two years, dating back to his time at Rice. In fact, he’s managed just 98 at-bats in his first pro season and is hitting only .255, but his 14% walk rate and .500 slugging percentage wink at his upside. If you think he needs too much seasoning to be mentioned here — and to be clear, he’s not yet major league ready — it’s worth pointing out that he was just promoted to Double-A and could get a come-check-out-the-majors-during-a-pennant-race call-up. If that makes him obtainable in your dynasty league, take action.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #593: August 25, 2012, 09:13:56 PM »
honestly, i'd like to see him called up.  like billy hamilton, they may not be MLB ready, but having him learn under these pro's and being in a pennant race while playing every now and then ... maybe it could really help. 

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #594: August 25, 2012, 09:23:48 PM »
honestly, i'd like to see him called up.  like billy hamilton, they may not be MLB ready, but having him learn under these pro's and being in a pennant race while playing every now and then ... maybe it could really help. 

If he had played all year, I might see it, but he hasn't.  Hamilton's at least been tearing up the minors the past couple of years.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #595: August 25, 2012, 09:49:54 PM »
Rendon has been struggling in AA big time.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #596: August 25, 2012, 10:11:13 PM »
If he had played all year, I might see it, but he hasn't.  Hamilton's at least been tearing up the minors the past couple of years.

still doesn't change the fact some members of their front office don't think he's ready.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #597: August 25, 2012, 10:48:22 PM »
Rendon has been struggling in AA big time.

there were some reports that they rushed him there so he would be eligible for the AFL.

Online blue911

« Reply #598: August 25, 2012, 10:56:16 PM »
there were some reports that they rushed him there so he would be eligible for the AFL.

The new CBA allows for two players from low A,two from high A and three from AA and above.

Offline WhiteWhale

« Reply #599: August 27, 2012, 04:17:40 PM »
Going to Senators Squirrels tonight, right behind Harrisburg's dug out.  If I get a chance tomorrow I will give you guys my - hasn't played baseball since high school, is not a professional baseball man in any way, does not know what he is talking about, just a dude sitting in the stands - scoutting report on Rendon, Goodwin, etc.