Author Topic: Minor League Playoff Thread  (Read 9049 times)

Offline natsfan4evr

Re: Minor League Playoff Thread
« Reply #25: September 06, 2010, 07:22:15 PM »
Congrats to the Senators for clinching a playoff berth today! It's their first post season appearance since 2002.

High A and AA in the playoffs...not bad at all

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
« Reply #26: September 06, 2010, 09:39:38 PM »
:clap: :clap:     :clap::clap: :clap: (to the tune of Centerfield)

:woop: :woop: :woop:

Offline JMUalumni

« Reply #27: September 07, 2010, 08:12:47 PM »
Altoona (Western Division champions; 82-60)
vs. Harrisburg (Western Division Wild Card; 77-65)

Altoona won the season series, 12-8.

Game 1 at Altoona, Sept. 8 at 6:30 p.m. ET
Game 2 at Altoona, Sept. 9 at 6:30 p.m. ET
Game 3 at Harrisburg, Sept. 10 at 7:00 p.m ET
Game 4 at Harrisburg (if necessary), Sept. 11 at 4:00 p.m. ET
Game 5 at Altoona (if necessary), Sept. 12 at 5:00 p.m. ET

Altoona clinched the Western Division title for the first time since 2004 and is playing in the postseason for the first time since '06. But the Curve had to wait until the last day of the regular season before their postseason opponent was revealed as Harrisburg edged Bowie for the Wild Card spot.

The Senators are seeking their seventh EL title and first since Milton Bradley's walk-off grand slam gave them their fourth consecutive title in 1999.

For Altoona second basemen Jim Negrych, the division title means a little something extra. Late last season, Negrych suffered a season-ending abdominal injury that briefly left him contemplating life without baseball.

"This is unbelievable -- to be sick and everything last year -- and from last year to go from the worst record in franchise history [62-80] to one of the best," Negrych told the Altoona Mirror when the team clinched. "It's a really special moment to win a division, but our goal is to win this whole thing and bring home a championship."

This could be a low-scoring series as Harrisburg and Altoona hold the lowest team ERAs in the league.

http://eastern.league.milb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20100907&content_id=14397428&vkey=news_l113&fext=.jsp&sid=l113

Frederick (North Division first-half champions; 71-68)
vs. Potomac (North Division second-half champions; 70-69)

Frederick won the season series, 11-9

Game 1 at Frederick, Sept. 8 at 7 p.m. ET
Game 2 at Frederick, Sept. 9 at 7 p.m. ET
Game 3 at Potomac, Sept. 10 at 7:03 p.m. ET
Game 4 at Potomac (if necessary), Sept. 11 at 6:35 p.m. ET
Game 5 at Potomac (if necessary), Sept. 12 at 1:05 p.m. ET

Even before a first-round playoff pairing with the Potomac Nationals was solidified, Frederick outfielder Ronnie Welty was pretty sure he knew what script the Carolina League Northern Division series would follow.

"It's a matter of doing the little things, bunting when we should, executing," said Welty. "When you've got runners on first and second with nobody out, move the runners over. A lot of times, the playoffs come down to one run, so the team that executes better is the team that usually wins."

Frederick rolled in the first half, winning the Northern Division by nine games over Wilmington. But the second half was a disaster as the Keys finished in last and limped into the postseason minus key players like first baseman Joe Mahoney and Xavier Avery, who've jumped to Double-A Bowie.

After such a grueling second half, Welty is thankful the Keys' first-round opponent in the Potomac Nationals, who are a short trip on the other side of Washington, D.C.

"Potomac is close," Welty explained, "so you won't be dragging, like you would if you had to travel more."

Though they've never met in the postseason, the two teams have taken two of the past three league titles -- Frederick winning in 2007 and Potomac in 2008.

Another wrinkle: Home-field advantage has meant little in their head-to-head series in 2010, as the visitor has won 13 of the 20 games.

While pitching often dominates the Carolina League, a Frederick-Potomac first-round series shapes up to be an offensive showdown.

Welty hit Potomac pitching to a .319 clip with seven homers and 17 RBIs. The Nationals feature slugging first baseman Tyler Moore, the Carolina League MVP after leading the loop in home runs and RBIs, and shortstop Jose Lozada, who battered Keys hurlers for a .346 average.

Rivalry extended: When Frederick and Potomac meet in the first round, it will mark the first time a Baltimore Orioles affiliate has faced a Washington Nationals farm club in the postseason since the Montreal Expos relocated to Washington, D.C., before the 2005 season.

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20100906&content_id=14352256&vkey=news_l122&fext=.jsp&sid=l122

Offline PatsNats28

« Reply #28: September 07, 2010, 08:34:53 PM »
why 2 games then 3?

Offline JMUalumni

« Reply #29: September 07, 2010, 08:37:36 PM »
why 2 games then 3?

Logistics.  Minor league teams don't have the luxuries of air travel.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #30: September 08, 2010, 01:10:24 AM »
Logistics.  Minor league teams don't have the luxuries of air travel.

Woodbridge to Frederick is a an expensive flight ;)

Offline Coladar

« Reply #31: September 08, 2010, 02:15:46 AM »
Logistics.  Minor league teams don't have the luxuries of air travel.

It seems rather poorly designed to have the team with home field advantage playing their first two away. I'd rather be the lower placed team and have home field advantage the first two games, meaning I then had to win only one of the last three, than face an 0-2 start and have to win the last three in a row. Really a stupid setup minor league ball has there.

Offline JMUalumni

« Reply #32: September 08, 2010, 06:29:52 PM »
Good luck to Harrisburg and Potomac.  Tom Milone and Danny Rosenbaum will being getting the starts tonight versus Altoona and Frederick.

Offline CALSGR8

« Reply #33: September 08, 2010, 07:08:24 PM »
Good luck to Harrisburg and Potomac.  Tom Milone and Danny Rosenbaum will being getting the starts tonight versus Altoona and Frederick.

Do you realize that the Nationals and the Senators are in the playoffs.  Kind of cool huh?! 

Offline daveb32

« Reply #34: September 08, 2010, 07:20:58 PM »
Tom Milone gives up a 2 run home run in the bottom of the first.

Offline JMUalumni

« Reply #35: September 08, 2010, 07:22:30 PM »
6 run first inning for the P-Nats so far, including a grand slam and solo shot.  All against one of the best Carolina league pitchers, Oliver Drake.

Offline JMUalumni

« Reply #36: September 08, 2010, 07:34:23 PM »
4 run rally by Harrisburg in the 2nd picks up Milone.  Inning started with a Burgess walk.  Sens 4, Curve 3.

The pitchers of both opposing teams have been pulled.

Offline souldrummer

« Reply #37: September 08, 2010, 08:11:27 PM »
Calsgr8-
Frederick is not but so hard to get to. I live in DC and I find Frederick much easier to get to than Potomac. Don't know where you're coming from. Frederick's a wild little bandbox and it's 8-7 after one inning with Rosenbaum on the bump for the P-Nats. I think he gave up a grand slam at then end of a rough inning.

I'm listening to Harrisburg and I'll probably write some kind of summary over at Federal Baseball. Milone fell behind 3-0 after one. I believe he gave up a 2R HR and a Lombardozzi error led to an unearned run. Sens were down 3-0 after one. In the top of the second the Sens sent 10 men to the plate. Milone has settled down now and is back to his stuff defying strikeout self. Struck out four of five guys at one point. Don't know what his pitch count is now. He's on a 90-105 pitch limit according to the announcer. We'll see what happens for the Sens going forward, and I hope Milone can bridge to the better arms in the bullpen by going 6. Needs some quick innings for sure.

Offline souldrummer

« Reply #38: September 08, 2010, 08:12:17 PM »
JMU alumni-That's not right. Sens scored five runs in that inning and Milone remains on the hill.

Offline JMUalumni

« Reply #39: September 08, 2010, 08:16:20 PM »
JMU alumni-That's not right. Sens scored five runs in that inning and Milone remains on the hill.

I was posting while inning was still going on.  And was referring to opposing pitchers for Altoona and Frederick.

Offline souldrummer

« Reply #40: September 08, 2010, 08:16:41 PM »
@JMU
Where did you get that big extended quote? It would be nice to tease, cite, and help whoever wrote it get some traffic for those kinds of things.

Offline JMUalumni

« Reply #41: September 08, 2010, 08:17:37 PM »
@JMU
Where did you get that big extended quote? It would be nice to tease, cite, and help whoever wrote it get some traffic for those kinds of things.

Ooops, I didn't even notice that from before.  I usually post the link for quotes, but missed out on this one.

Offline souldrummer

« Reply #42: September 08, 2010, 08:20:40 PM »
@JMU -
Totally cool with the reporting. It was "both opposing pitchers have been pulled" that got me. I'm a big Milone fan, and I my heart would have skipped a bit if I wasn't listening. ;-)

Offline JMUalumni

« Reply #43: September 08, 2010, 08:23:27 PM »
@JMU -
Totally cool with the reporting. It was "both opposing pitchers have been pulled" that got me. I'm a big Milone fan, and I my heart would have skipped a bit if I wasn't listening. ;-)

Yeah, I should have been more specific, I could see how what I wrote could be confusing.  Trying to keep up with two games at once is tough work ;)

Offline bglide

• banned
« Reply #44: September 08, 2010, 08:23:56 PM »
Surprised Rosenbaum is getting torched.  He's probably our best pitching prospect, no?

Offline JMUalumni

« Reply #45: September 08, 2010, 08:27:36 PM »
Surprised Rosenbaum is getting torched.  He's probably our best pitching prospect, no?

I might not even have him in the top 5.  He only lasted an inning and was pulled after giving back 7 runs to the Keys.  Patrick Lehman took over in the 2nd and the teams are now tied at 8 going into the 4th. 

Offline bglide

• banned
« Reply #46: September 08, 2010, 08:30:36 PM »
I might not even have him in the top 5.  He only lasted an inning and was pulled after giving back 7 runs to the Keys.  Patrick Lehman took over in the 2nd and the teams are now tied at 8 going into the 4th.  

Who would your top 5 be?  I know Rosenbaum has been moving up the ladder rapidly.  Has great stuff.  

Offline JMUalumni

« Reply #47: September 08, 2010, 08:37:36 PM »
In no particular order, I would have Meyers, Milone, Solis, and Tatusko ahead at this moment.  You could probably come up with a list that had him in top 5, but somewhere in the range of #4-#6 sounds about right.

Offline CALSGR8

« Reply #48: September 08, 2010, 08:37:56 PM »
Calsgr8-
Frederick is not but so hard to get to. I live in DC and I find Frederick much easier to get to than Potomac. Don't know where you're coming from. Frederick's a wild little bandbox and it's 8-7 after one inning with Rosenbaum on the bump for the P-Nats. I think he gave up a grand slam at then end of a rough inning.

I'm listening to Harrisburg and I'll probably write some kind of summary over at Federal Baseball. Milone fell behind 3-0 after one. I believe he gave up a 2R HR and a Lombardozzi error led to an unearned run. Sens were down 3-0 after one. In the top of the second the Sens sent 10 men to the plate. Milone has settled down now and is back to his stuff defying strikeout self. Struck out four of five guys at one point. Don't know what his pitch count is now. He's on a 90-105 pitch limit according to the announcer. We'll see what happens for the Sens going forward, and I hope Milone can bridge to the better arms in the bullpen by going 6. Needs some quick innings for sure.

I know, I used to go to Frederick games with my friend who lives in Germantown.  It wasn't far from her.  However, I live within 20 minutes of Woodbridge.  With my hours and working in DC, there is no way I could make it to Frederick on a weekday.  I had to take an hour's leave just so I could go to Drew Storen Bobblehead night at the PFITZ (Woodbridge).

GO - NATIONALS, GO SENATORS!

Offline souldrummer

« Reply #49: September 08, 2010, 08:38:33 PM »
@bglide
I can't follow both games at the same time so I don't know exactly what's going on in Frederick. That is a small ballpark on a windy day. There were 3 home runs in that inning, two for the P-Nats by Walton and Jacobsen while Rosenbaum gave up a grand slam in the first. You'd like to think Tyler Moore could go deep in one of these two games at Frederick.